Galway bay fm newsroom – Hundreds of doctors at Galway’s public hospitals are being balloted for industrial action in an effort to force the Government to reduce long working hours.
There are two intakes of non consultant hospital doctors at Galway University Hospitals each year – 197 were taken in last month.
The Irish Medical Organisation says NCHDs are routinely required to work shifts of more than 24 hours in a row.
The shifts – which the IMO says put patients lives at risk – are illegal under EU law.
Galway County Council issues advice on handling of waste bins amid pandemic
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway County Council has issued an advisory to the public on the handling of waste bins during the Covid-19 pandemic.
It says the advice aims to reduce the potential for cross contamination.
It’s asking the public to ensure bins are presented the evening before collection and bin handles to be cleaned with disinfectant before and after presentation.
The local authority also advises that wipes, cloths, gloves and other related items can be placed in the general waste bin.
Dáil hears concerns over access of northern-Ireland fishing vessels to Ros a Mhíl
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Dáil has heard concerns about the limited nature of the access of Northern-Ireland registered fishing vessels to Ros a Mhíl.
The Connemara port was one of five nationwide designated as additional ports for such vessels earlier this month.
However, Galway West Deputy Eamon O’ Cuiv has raised concerns over the ‘restrictive’ access times these fishermen are facing.
He told the Dáil that northern-registered boats are limited to the hours between 10am and 10pm, Monday to Friday.
Fianna Fail Deputy O’ Cuiv argued the necessary staff are present at Ros a Mhíl seven days a week.
Speaking in response, Minister Charlie McConalogue said the situation is being kept under review.
However, he noted that they had to work within the resources and capacity that are available.
For more on this, tune in to FYI Galway@5…
Údarás employment in Galway Gaeltacht drops 4 per cent despite creating 180 new jobs
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A new report shows Údarás employment in the Galway Gaeltacht dropped 4 per cent last year, despite creating 180 new jobs
182 jobs were created in the Galway Gaeltacht, the highest figure of any county according to the Údarás 2020 End of Year Review.
Employment dropped by 4.3% on the previous year, however, meaning that there were 2,955 full-time jobs in Údarás client companies at the end of the year.
These new roles have been secured in companies operating in a wide range of sectors, including Aran Biomedical, Cambus Medical and Telegael Teo.
The majority of job losses occurred in the tourism and hospitality sector, which has been severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Meanwhile, the semi-state body provided over €480,000 in grant aid to 198 companies in the Galway, Mayo and Meath Gaeltacht area through COVID-19 support schemes.
Údarás na Gaeltachta Chief Executive Micheál Ó hÉanaigh says while the job losses are worrying the situation could have been worse – to hear more, tune in to Galway Bay fm news on the hour…