Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Hopes for resurrection of Naomh Éanna ‘all but sunk’

Published

on

The future of the Naomh Éanna – the former Galway-Aran ferry – looks distinctly grim despite the last ditch efforts of a number of TDs and a group of voluntary supporters to halt the plans of Waterways Ireland to cut up the vessel.

Built in the Liffey Dockyard in Dublin in 1958, the MV Naomh Éanna served her entire life as an Aran passenger ferry – until she was secured by the Irish Nautical Trust in 1989 and moved to the Grand Canal Dock in Dublin, where she has been moored ever since.

Derrick Hambleton of An Taisce in Galway said that proposals to rescue the ferry and make some sort of tourist attraction out of it have been given “short shrift” at ministerial and departmental level.

Galway TDs Éamon Ó Cúiv and Sean Kyne, along with Dublin TDs Joan Collins and Kevin Humphries, all made impassioned speeches to Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht, Jimmy Deenihan, to put a six-month stay on her break-up to allow for plans for the future of the Naomh Éanna to be secured.

“The MV Naomh Éanna’s proposed restoration and return to Galway now looks anything but safe and assured. In fact, if we are to be honest, the imminent break-up and destruction of this once proud vessel looks to be now on the cards and a miracle will be needed if we are ever to see her docked in Galway again,” said Mr Hambleton.

When the voluntary committee, the Naomh Éanna Trust, met with Minister Deenihan and an attending official from Waterways Ireland earlier in the month they were given given a reprieve of four weeks.

 “This is a totally unrealistic time frame within which to prepare a business plan and to secure any financial backing for the restoration.

“It would seem to me that the volunteer group were never going to be allowed a realistic time-span to gather their plans together and be allowed put forward any realistic proposal to save the vessel,” said the An Taisce Galway chairman.

However the members of the Trust continue to fight for the rejuvenation of the Naomh Éanna, pursuing their campaign to raise funds, having created a PayPal option for donations on their Facebook page.

 

CITY TRIBUNE

Matriarch of Scotty’s Diner donates kidney to her son!

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A well-known family in the Galway restaurant trade have swapped chef whites for hospital gowns after the matriarch donated a kidney to her son.

Jenny and Andrew Ishmael, synonymous with Scotty’s Diner in Cúirt na Coiribe on the Headford Road in Terryland, are recovering in Beaumont Hospital after the marathon live donor operation.

It took place last Monday and staff are so impressed by the quick recovery of mother and son that they could be discharged as early as this weekend.

“It went really well. I’m still a bit sore. We’re still on the mend. It’s working perfectly,” says Andrew from the isolation ward of the hospital’s Kidney Centre.  “My creatine was over 1,000 when I came in and it’s already around 260.

“I felt weak after the surgery, but I could feel that bit of life in me again straight away. It’s amazing how quick it works. Mom wasn’t too great after the surgery – it was her first ever. She was quite sore, a bit iffy, but she’s good now.

“We have rooms back-to-back. We’ve been going for walks, going for breakfast together. It’s nice to spend that time together.”

Andrew – or Drew as he’s known to family and friends –  was diagnosed with kidney disease when he was just 16.

Berger’s Disease occurs when an antibody called immunoglobulin builds up in the kidneys and results in inflammation, which over time, can hamper the kidneys’ ability to filter waste from the blood.

He managed the condition well for over a decade without too much impact on his life.

The son of classically trained chefs who studied together at Johnson and Wales College in Rhode Island, he grew up working in his parents’ American-style diner, trading since 1991.
This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article, see the February 3 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

New River Corrib rescue boat to be deployed following ‘significant donation’

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The provision of a specialist rescue craft on the Corrib – upstream from the Weir – could now happen over the coming weeks or months following a ‘significant voluntary donation’ in the past few weeks, the Galway City Tribune has learned.

Water safety issues on the Corrib were highlighted last month when up to 10 rowers had to be rescued after their two boats were sucked in by the currents towards the Weir.

The Marine Casualty Investigation Board has launched an investigation into the circumstances of the potentially catastrophic incident which occurred around midday on Saturday, January 14.

A specialist D Class lifeboat is now being sourced as part of a multi-agency approach to try and improve emergency rescue operations upstream from the Weir which would be accessible on a 24/7 basis.

While the cost would be in the region of €40,000 to €50,000, the overall figure would rise to around €80,000 to €90,000 when specialist personnel training costs were included.

Galway Lifeboat Operations Manager, Mike Swan, told the Galway City Tribune that he was aware of a lot of work going on behind the scenes to try and get the Corrib rescue craft in place as soon as possible.

“I suppose we’re all trying to work together to ensure that a full-time rescue craft is provided on the Corrib and I believe that real progress is being made in this regard. This would be very good news for everyone,” said Mr Swan.
This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article, see the February 3 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Three years on and ‘Changing Places’ facility on Salthill Promenade still not open

Published

on

Mayor of Galway, Cllr Clodagh Higgins at the site of the Changing Places facility, for which she had ring-fenced money. Work on the project only began last February, despite initial predictions that the facility would be open in January last year.

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The wait for accessible, specialised toilet facilities at Ladies Beach in Salthill goes on – three years after they were ‘prioritised’ by city councillors.

Galway City Council has confirmed to the Tribune this week that the ‘Changing Places’ facility at Ladies Beach is still not open.

Construction of the facility began almost a year ago, at the end of February 2022.

The local authority confirmed that some €135,600 has been spent on the unit, which is not yet open to the public.

“The initial stages of construction went well, with the facility now largely in place. There are a number of outstanding snags to be completed before the facility can open.

“Galway City Council is liaising with the contractor to complete out these snags, with a view to opening the facility as soon as possible,” a spokesperson said.

The local authority did not elaborate on what ‘snags’ were delaying the project.

But in January, Chief Executive of Galway City Council, Brendan McGrath, suggested that staffing issues were to blame for the delay.

(Photo: Mayor of Galway, Clodagh Higgins, at the site of the Changing Places facility, for which she had ring-fenced money).
This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article, see the February 3 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending