Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

High flying St. Thomas’ hang on



Date Published: 08-May-2013

 A GLORIOUS period for the hurling enthusiasts of Kilchreest and Peterswell was further enhanced on Sunday as St. Thomas’ added more silverware to their ever expanding roll of honour, capturing the County U21 title – a second in three years – at the expense of a spirited Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry outfit.

Sunday represented St. Thomas’ fifth U21 final appearance on the hop and though spectators pondered afterwards whether previous teams, in particular the bunch of players that twice fell to Gort, were stronger than this current crop, there can be no denying that the production line feeding into the senior set-up is in fine working order.

Having lost out at the final hurdle to Craughwell last year, this victory offered a measure of atonement for Cyril Kelly’s charges, although, that said, there were a more than a couple of moments in the second half when it looked like they would once more wear the bridesmaids tag.

The winners, having enjoyed the backing of a strong breeze in the first-half, were five to the good at the interval, but really should have been further ahead. Thereafter, it was case of exerting a vice-like on their lead as Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry exhausted every last sinew in clawing their way back into proceedings, just falling short of completing the overtaking movement.

Greg Kennedy’s troops, trailing by eight points at one juncture, had narrowed the gap to the minimum by the 50th minute; 1-9 to 0-11, and after a somewhat lethargic opening half, the decent crowd in Loughrea braced themselves for a rousing climax.

St. Thomas’, struggling to win primary possession at midfield where Padraig Breheny was by now a commanding figure, looked vulnerable of falling victim to another final defeat at this grade. And while they battled admirably in the closing stages to protect their advantage, truth be told, their fate was decided for them.

The conclusion, enthralling and all as it was, left Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry with a horrible empty feeling, one which won’t be helped by the evidence from the post-mortem which was sure to be conducted this week.

They restricted St. Thomas’ to a single point in the final 20 minutes of action, during which they hit four points and created four further chances, yet failed to see the job through to a successful conclusion.

Padraig Breheny (two) and Paul Killeen registered three wides on the home stretch, while Niall Maloney, with the goal at his mercy, dispatched a tame effort that was easily repelled by Conor Fahy. Put simply, Tynagh/Abbey-Duniry had their chances, but 12 wides throughout the hour summed up their attacking woes.

For the full match report see page 53 of this week’s Tribune

Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past



A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.


For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Real Galway flavour to intermediate club hurling battle in Birr



Date Published: 23-Jan-2013


Continue Reading

Archive News

Athenry fail to take chances as they bow out of Junior Cup



Date Published: 29-Jan-2013

Athenry FC 1

Kilbarrack United 2

(After extra time)

For the second year in succession Athenry were done in extra time in the FAI Junior Cup as last season’s beaten finalist’s came from behind to snatch an excellent game in Moanbawn on Sunday afternoon.

On a heavy pitch that was only playable following extensive groundwork by club officials all morning, the home side were by far the better side in the opening half, but failed to take advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

An Alan O’Donovan penalty gave them a merited advantage just after the restart, but thereafter were on the back foot as Kilbarrack took over, but for all their pressing, the home rearguard were dealing comfortably with their forays.

However they were struck a body blow just six minutes from time, as big striker Keith Kirwan was left all alone at the far post to head the equaliser and from that point on the Dubliners were the better side.

They started off the extra time in the ascendancy and enjoying all the momentum before striking for a good winning goal on 104 minutes. A strong bench allowed them to make some necessary changes and it was not a facility that was available to Athenry manager Gabriel Glavin.

With Gary Forde and Gary Delaney out through suspension following their sending off against OLBC in the previous round, and Seamie Crowe injured, it left their bench rather threadbare with just a number of young squad players available.

Playing with the aid of the slight incline and any wind advantage going, the home side had a Connor Cannon effort on target in the opening minute, while John Meleady was just over with a flick at the other end.

Meleady then tested Andrew Walsh who saved comfortably, before the goalkeeper pulled off a brilliant double save on 14 minutes.

Firstly he went full length to push away a Meleady shot and was then back on his feet to parry David Jackson’s close-range rebound.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads