Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Archive News

Heartbreak for Oranmore/Maree as Spiddal pounce in injury time



Date Published: {J}

An Spidéal 1-10

Oranmore-Maree 1-9

Alan Dooley

Despite trailing for the majority of this sometimes dour contest, An Spidéal booked their place in the Claregalway Hotel Galway Intermediate football final thanks to Brendán Óg Ó Callaráin’s magnificent free in the sixth minute of injury time at Pearse Stadium on Sunday which saw off a battling Oranmore-Maree side.

Ó Callaráin was once more An Spidéal’s talisman, grabbing 1-3 of his final tally of 1-6 in the closing stages. Be it left foot or right, the full forward was imperious towards the end and when he rattled in a stunning goal with five minutes remaining to give An Spidéal their first lead, it looked like Oranmore-Maree’s challenge would fizzle out, given they hadn’t scored for more than 15 minutes.

But, in their next foray forward, Coleman Hands goaled from close range for Oranmore-Maree to get them back on level terms at 1-8 apiece and although Ó Callaráin converted a free in the

last minute of normal time, at least five more minutes were to be played following treatment to an injury to An Spidéal’s Dara Mac an Rí early in the half.

Sufficient time at least for Oranmore-Maree to hit back, which they did when John McGrath drove over a free from a testing distance and as the five minute mark passed by amid frantic scenes, a replay seemed the fairest resolve to the tie.

But referee Gerry Guinan refused to bring matters to a conclusion and An Spidéal grafted hard to create one more opportunity when substitute Éinne Ó hEochaidh did well to win a free a little over 20 metres out, but very close to the left touchline. Brendán Óg Ó Callaráin wandered over and kicked with conviction, punching the air with satisfaction even before the ball sailed through the posts, aware of the outcome from the moment it was struck.

Surely that would be it, the final say, but more time was found for Oranmore to gain a reprieve. They failed to prise open the spirited An Spidéal defence, though, and five seconds shy of the 38 minute mark the game was up, to the delight of the large group of An Spidéal followers present.

At times, though, the same supporters must have thought it was not going to be their day. Their team played into a first half wind that tested their mettle but then subsided to a light breeze just before half time. Oranmore-Maree had taken advantage of this in the first 20 minutes and were 0-5 to 0-2 to the good through points from Mark Gottsche (free), Conor Allen, Alan Barrett, John McGrath, and Coleman Hands.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Galway in Days Gone By

The way we were – Protecting archives of our past



A photo of Galway city centre from the county council's archives

People’s living conditions less than 100 years ago were frightening. We have come a long way. We talk about water charges today, but back then the local District Councils were erecting pumps for local communities and the lovely town of Mountbellew, according to Council minutes, had open sewers,” says Galway County Council archivist Patria McWalter.

Patria believes we “need to take pride in our history, and we should take the same pride in our historical records as we do in our built heritage”. When you see the wealth of material in her care, this belief makes sense.

She is in charge of caring for the rich collection of administrative records owned by Galway County Council and says “these records are as much part of our history as the Rock of Cashel is. They document our lives and our ancestors’ lives. And nobody can plan for the future unless you learn from the past, what worked and what didn’t”.

Archivists and librarians are often unfairly regarded as being dry, academic types, but that’s certainly not true of Patria. Her enthusiasm is infectious as she turns the pages of several minute books from Galway’s Rural District Councils, all of them at least 100 years old.

Part of her role involved cataloguing all the records of the Councils – Ballinasloe, Clifden, Galway, Gort, Loughrea, Mountbellew, Portumna and Tuam. These records mostly consisted of minutes of various meetings.

When she was cataloguing them she realised their worth to local historians and researchers, so she decided to compile a guide to their content. The result is For the Record: The Archives of Galway’s Rural District Councils, which will be a valuable asset to anybody with an interest in history.

Many representatives on these Councils were local personalities and several were arrested during the political upheaval of the era, she explains.

And, ushering in a new era in history, women were allowed to sit on these Rural District Councils – at the time they were not allowed to sit on County Councils.

All of this information is included in Patria’s introductory essay to the attractively produced A4 size guide, which gives a glimpse into how these Rural Councils operated and the way political thinking changed in Ireland during a short 26-year period. In the early 1900s, these Councils supported Home Rule, but by 1920, they were calling for full independence and refusing to recognise the British administration.

“I love the tone,” says Patria of the minutes from meetings. “The language was very emotive.”

That was certainly true of the Gort Rural District Council. At a meeting in 1907, following riots in Dublin at the premiere of JM Synge’s play, The Playboy of the Western World the councillors’ response was vehement. They recorded their decision to “protest most emphatically against the libellous comedy, The Playboy of the Western World, that was belched forth during the past week in the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, under the fostering care of Lady Gregory and Mr Yeats. We congratulate the good people of Dublin in howling down the gross buffoonery and immoral suggestions that are scattered throughout this scandalous performance.


For more from the archives see this week’s Tribunes here

Continue Reading

Archive News

Real Galway flavour to intermediate club hurling battle in Birr



Date Published: 23-Jan-2013


Continue Reading

Archive News

Athenry fail to take chances as they bow out of Junior Cup



Date Published: 29-Jan-2013

Athenry FC 1

Kilbarrack United 2

(After extra time)

For the second year in succession Athenry were done in extra time in the FAI Junior Cup as last season’s beaten finalist’s came from behind to snatch an excellent game in Moanbawn on Sunday afternoon.

On a heavy pitch that was only playable following extensive groundwork by club officials all morning, the home side were by far the better side in the opening half, but failed to take advantage of a number of opportunities that came their way.

An Alan O’Donovan penalty gave them a merited advantage just after the restart, but thereafter were on the back foot as Kilbarrack took over, but for all their pressing, the home rearguard were dealing comfortably with their forays.

However they were struck a body blow just six minutes from time, as big striker Keith Kirwan was left all alone at the far post to head the equaliser and from that point on the Dubliners were the better side.

They started off the extra time in the ascendancy and enjoying all the momentum before striking for a good winning goal on 104 minutes. A strong bench allowed them to make some necessary changes and it was not a facility that was available to Athenry manager Gabriel Glavin.

With Gary Forde and Gary Delaney out through suspension following their sending off against OLBC in the previous round, and Seamie Crowe injured, it left their bench rather threadbare with just a number of young squad players available.

Playing with the aid of the slight incline and any wind advantage going, the home side had a Connor Cannon effort on target in the opening minute, while John Meleady was just over with a flick at the other end.

Meleady then tested Andrew Walsh who saved comfortably, before the goalkeeper pulled off a brilliant double save on 14 minutes.

Firstly he went full length to push away a Meleady shot and was then back on his feet to parry David Jackson’s close-range rebound.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads