A report carried in last week’s Connacht Tribune under the headline “Death knell rings for community schemes” – and subsequently published online – claimed that the Health and Safety Authority was responsible for effectively closing down a number of Local Involvement Schemes around the county.
It was based on claims made by Galway County Councillor Billy Connelly, who referred to one particular scheme in Kilcoona, which was being organised by Caherlistrane Community Council.
He incorrectly blamed this on the Health and Safety Authority – and the Connacht Tribune wrongly reported his claims – when in fact the decision to enforce safety regulations was made by officials from Galway County Council itself.
The HSA has rightly pointed out that it has no involvement whatsoever in relation to these projects under LIS, and that such projects are entirely a matter for the relevant local authority.
We apologise to the Health and Safety Authority for the inaccurate report and we are happy to clarify that the Authority had nothing whatsoever to do with any curtailing of these schemes.
408 confirmed cases of Covid-19 nationally with one additional death – No Figures Released For Galway
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1 additional death related to COVID-19.
There has been a total of 4,919 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
As of midnight, Friday 7th May, the HPSC has been notified of 408 confirmed cases of COVID-19.
There has now been a total of 252,303* confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
Of the cases notified today:
- 205 are men / 202 are women
- 77% are under 45 years of age
- The median age is 31 years old
As of 8am today, 110 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 33 are in ICU. 9 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.
As of May 6th, 1,746,912 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in Ireland:
- 1,267,167 people have received their first dose
- 479,745 people have received their second dose
IFA warn farmers to check security following recent spate of farm machinery thefts in the county
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – Farmers have been advised to check the security of their farms following an increase in the number of thefts that have taken place around the county.
A number of high-tech farm burglaries targeting trailers, power tools and garden machinery has taken place in Galway that has left farmers thousands of euros out of pocket.
This warning was issued by Galway/Mayo IFA Regional Executive Roy O’Brien who has asked all farmers to review their security measures.
He said that farmers may be complacent at this time of year with the heavy workload on farms along with the countryside being quieter than normal due to covid restrictions.
Speaking to Galway Bay FM News, he also asked farmers to check their insurance policy cover as many may not have stolen goods/criminal liability on their policies.
City Council backs development of local greenways
Galway Bay FM Newsroom – Galway City Council has backed the development of local greenways
Labour Councillor Niall McNelis submitted a motion for the Local authority to back the proposed Athenry to Claremorris greenway as well as the Galway to Athlone greenway which is currently in stage two of its public consultation process.
The motion further states that the council should back both projects as they will drive tourism and economic growth acoss the west and has been unanimously agreed
Councillor McNelis says it makes sense to back the projects as Galway city will be the ultimate destination for both greenways.
More on Galway Bay FM News