Date Published: 20-Jun-2011
SUCCESSIVE seasons of underachievement in both counties might have taken away much of the allure from Galway against Mayo as a fixture, and yet towering midfielder Finian Hanley believes there is still a ‘buzz’ about the place ahead of Sunday’s Connacht Championship semi-final in Castlebar (2 p.m.).
The national media and fans around the country will hardly be awaiting the outcome of the McHale Park showdown with anticipation, but Hanley is looking forward to an occasion which tends to captivate West of Ireland sports fans no matter how badly both teams are faring.
“There is more of a buzz in training this week. You’ve got Cork and Kerry, Dublin and Meath, and Galway and Mayo is up there with the passion and pride that’s in it. I think, nationally, people don’t look at it as highly as they used to, but there’s always a bit of bite to it. Both teams want to win so badly that it always brings a bit of passion to it as well,” he told Sentinel Sport.
Recent events would hardly indicate that either team is likely to be featuring at the business end of the championship in August or September. Galway were relegated from Division One of the NFL in April, after suffering morale-sapping defeats to Sligo and Wexford in the championship last year, while Mayo hardly did their reputation much good with their huge scare against London last month.
Hard to believe now that, between them, these counties contested five of the six All-Ireland finals between 1996 and 2001. Those glory days are long gone, but this ‘derby’ always seems to conjure up plenty of drama such as the thrilling one point defeat in Pearse Stadium two years ago.
“It’s a great occasion, because obviously there is a lot of talk around the county coming up to it. There are a lot of Mayo people in Galway and a lot of Galway people in Mayo and the rivalry is there as well. Even within my own club, there are a few Mayo lads and they would always be having the ‘craic’ and the dig,” said Hanley this week.
“We are looking forward to the game. There is nothing like a Connacht championship game against Mayo down in Castlebar. Either way, it is going to be a one point or two point win, whoever wins it. I know the teams haven’t performed to their best or their tradition in the last couple of years, but that doesn’t take anything away from it.”
Injuries to Michael Meehan and his own club-mate, Sean Armstrong, have hampered the Tribesmen’s preparations, but the 26-year old Salthill-Knocknacarra man said that the arrival of a new crop of All-Ireland winning U-21s has rejuvenated the panel.
After the disillusionment of last year, when Sligo dumped them out of Connacht and Wexford ended their championship on an awful evening in Pearse Stadium, Hanley admitted that this year’s League was all about experimenting and trying out new players for new manager Tomas O Flatharta.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.