Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Groundbreaking Blue Teapot to host international festival

Judy Murphy

Published

on

Arts Week with Judy Murphy

Galway’s innovative Blue Teapot Theatre Company which works with people who have an intellectual disability is continuing to break new ground.  The award-winning group has teamed up with similar companies from across Europe to host Crossing the Line, a unique festival of theatre and dance which was commissioned by Galway 2020.

Crossing the Line, which has been four years in the making, will take place in Galway City from May 20-23, hosting shows from Poland, Sweden, Wales, England, the Netherlands and France, as well as from Ireland.

For Galwegians the highlight will be Into the Dark Woods, the debut drama from Blue Teapot’s own Charlene Kelly, which is being presented by the company in association with the Abbey Theatre.

Charlene has previously performed in Blue Teapot productions including the award-winning and acclaimed theatre show, Sanctuary and the subsequent screen version of the same name, but this is a new departure for her.

“It was my idea and I worked with Eileen Gibbons to put it in a modern-day context,” she explains, referring to writer and actress Eileen, who is a tutor with Blue Teapot.

Into the Dark Woods grew out of A Blank Page, a project that involved Blue Teapot members writing their own individual short stories. Co-ordinated by Eileen, A Blank Page was the brainchild of the company’s Artistic Director Petal Pilley.

“Charlene’s is an amazing story and when I looked at it first, I thought it was so cool and so strong visually and theatrically; the way she said things and the images, like when the birds flew up” recalls Eileen. “It’s like spun gold.”

Their mutual affection and respect are apparent as the two outline how the process worked.

“Charlene is well-talented, well-trained and very disciplined and so am I,” says Eileen, and Charlene, who also has a razor-sharp sense of humour, nods in agreement.

Her wish for the play is that “it goes well and is brought out to the public”.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Connacht Tribune

Galway Real Estate have attractive site for sale on the Aran Islands

Avatar

Published

on

Oghill, Inishmore, Aran Islands.

Galway Real Estate have an attractive site/property for sale at Oghill, Inishmore, Aran Islands.

The site is approximately c.150 square metres. (c.1600 sq. ft.) on c.1 acre with planning permission to convert to a dwelling house and fit a new waste water treatment system. Planning Ref: 17/1284. There are two years  left on planning. The planning is for a proposed 4 bedrooms, kitchen, dining/room, laundry/room, bathroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to get a property ready to go. Offers in excess of €125,000 considered.

Full details from Paddy Flynn 0872557618 or Galway Real Estate on 091565488 or email: info@galwayrealestate.ie

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Aran to welcome Ireland’s largest domestic passenger ferry

Avatar

Published

on

Saoirse na Farraige

The largest domestic passenger ferry in the country is making its journey from the Far East to the Far West – ready to commence service from Galway to the three Aran Islands.

The 40-metre ‘Saoirse na Farraige’ represents a massive investment – and vote of confidence – in island tourism on the part of the owners, Aran Island Ferries.

Commissioned in January 2019, this sixth member of their fleet has a capacity of 400 – and it is expected to arrive in Galway Bay from Hong Kong in October.

The vessel departed Hong Kong last week, embarking on a 2,500 mile journey to Galway Bay – inside the hold of a heavy lift ship called Svenja’”.

Saoirse na Farraige has at least three more stops to make before arriving in Galway Bay at the end of October – and it won’t not enter service until next spring.

Aran Island Ferries Sales and Marketing Manager, Aine McLoughlin, said that they were looking forward to seeing visitors enjoy their journey to the Aran Islands, enjoying the increased capacity, accessibility, and safety features.

“We are really looking forward to officially launching ‘Saoirse na Farraige’ next year and seeing visitors enjoy their journey to the Aran Islands on board our new ferry,” she said.

Saoirse na Farraige will serve all three islands from Rossaveel – with a journey time of 40 minutes to Inis Mór, 50 minutes to Inis Meáin, and 55 minutes to Inis Oírr.

Read the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in now – or download our digital edition at www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Emergency Department upgrade will happen at UHG – but it’s complicated

Denise McNamara

Published

on

The current ED at UHG.

Revamping the emergency department at UHG will involve three separate projects – leading to the hospital’s chief describing the process as ‘very complex’.

City Councillor John Connolly (FF) said the people of Galway were concerned that the new emergency department – like the ring road – would never happen, as it appeared to be so bound up in red tape.

Joe Hoare, assistant national director of estates in HSE West, told the Regional Health Forum West meeting that that outpatients department adjacent to the emergency department was being redeveloped to create more capacity for streaming Covid patients from non-Covid patients for the winter.

The outpatients department would be relocated to the Merlin Park campus. The design for this building would be completed within ten months with construction expected to begin in by last 2021 at the earliest.

An interim emergency department was the next priority so that the current building could be knocked to make way for the new state-of-the-art building, creating a new maternity department and paediatrics unit.

Since the budget for the new children’s hospital had blown out of all proportion, the rules over public projects over €100 million had changed and the Saolta hospital group had to ensure its business case for the massive project was ‘watertight’.

Mr Hoare said all three projects were moving in parallel, including the enabling works for the main build, which would take around 18 months to complete.

He described the project as Saolta’s ‘absolute top priority and was regarded as such by the national HSE organisation.

Head of Saolta, Tony Canavan, said the project was ‘big and very complex’ and required management to remain ‘very focused over a long time’.

Read the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in now – or download our digital edition at www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending