Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Sports

Gold medal for Murphy at the Jiu Jitsu World Championship

Avatar

Published

on

GALWAY-based martial artist Tim Murphy has become the first Irishman to win a gold medal in a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu world championship.

In a dramatic finale, Murphy was able to come from behind to submit his opponent by applying a choke with less than a minute left in the scheduled seven minute match. Prior to the finals, Murphy won the quarter final by decision and the semi final by an arm lock submission.

After winning the gold, Murphy said: “I knew I was up against it in the final. He was a tough competitor and had a lot of supporters cheering him on. I’m just glad I was able to seize the opportunity when it presented itself and get the submission. It was quite a surreal moment after I had won. It took a little time to sink in.”

Hundreds of jiu jitsu practitioners from as far away as Argentina, Japan and Europe compete in the annual event at different belt levels. The event took place last weekend in Long Beach, California, near Los Angeles, and was hosted by the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation. The vast majority of gold medalists come from Brazil and the US.

On representing Ireland, Murphy said, “There was a small group of Irish competitors at the event. All of the guys are serious BJJ competitors but still we knew we were up against it, the standard in all the divisions is so high at this level. It was an honour for me to bring back a gold medal and do my part in helping to promote this fantastic sport in Ireland”.

Murphy was accompanied to LA by his coach and fellow competitor, Black Belt Fergal Quinlan from Co. Clare. “Tim’s performance was outstanding, particularly in the final where he had to come from behind to win,” said Quinlan.

“Tim won a gold at the European Championship earlier in the year but there was a big step in the level at the Worlds and he rose to the occasion. The standard of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Ireland is rising all the time and, hopefully, we will be bringing home a lot more international medals over the next few years”.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

CITY TRIBUNE

Inconsistent Connacht men slip up badly on home turf

Avatar

Published

on

Connacht’s Gavin Thornbury closes in on Dane Blacket of Scarlets during Saturday's PRO14 encounter at the Sportsground. Photos: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

Connacht 14

Scarlets 20

Rob Murphy at the Sportsground

CONNACHT stormed to the top of the inconsistency table on Sunday with a performance so at odds with what they produced on their previous outing that it felt like a new team, a different world. Their propensity to go from magic to mediocre from one game to the next has supporters scratching their heads but more notably, it has the team themselves wholly perplexed.

The demeanour of Andy Friend and Paul Boyle in the post game press conference and the look on the face of Paddy McAllister as he trudged off the field told a tale of befuddlement. There was no hiding in the rain and the wind at the Sportsground on Saturday night, no excuses either, the visiting Scarlets had arrived in town without a dozen front liners and with no form to speak. Yet they left a stormy Galway with a valuable victory.

In one short and disrupted season, Connacht have managed to produce two headline grabbing victories over Glasgow and Edinburgh and two of their worst performances in years against Cardiff and now here against the Scarlets. Just when you think you have a handle on how they are shaping up for season ahead, they pull out the spanner and head straight for the works.

Afterwards, Friend candidly admitted that he had rarely seen his side “out enthused” in the way that they were before half-time. He was right to contrast that with a second half improvement. There is no doubting that had they shown even a tiny inkling of composure in attack during the wind assisted second half, they would have won this game.

However, in a second half of constant pressure, Connacht lost control of the ball going over the try line on three separate occasions on an evening of mishaps and calamity, so even the improved energy levels weren’t enough against a spirited and fired up Scarlets side that had notched two brilliant first half tries to lead by six at the break, and added a counter attacking third after half time that proved critical.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Connacht look to bounce back from poor defeat

Avatar

Published

on

Connacht’s Gavin Thornbury tries to charge down the clearing kick of Scarlets' Dane Blacket in the Sportsground last weekend. Photos: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

By JOHN FALLON

One of the mantras of Andy Friend since he arrived in the Sportsground over two years ago is the need for everyone to be versatile and step into the breach when required, but forwards coach Jimmy Duffy paid a big price for enthusiastically embracing that challenge in training.

The 43-years-old former Connacht lock not only decided to wind back the clock to his own playing days, but also opted for a positional switch to scrum-half. As a result, he has been hobbling around on crutches for the last week waiting a scan to show if it was a nerve or something else he damaged in his back.

Connacht may be light on locks at the minute through injuries and with Ultan Dillane and Quinn Roux in Irish camp, but they were also down numbers at scrum-half last week with Kieran Marmion on international duty and Caolin Blade injured.

That’s when Duffy decided to step into the fray in training – and he has been paying the price since.

“I was probably thinking I was 23 rather than 43,” said Duffy. “I jumped in a session to make up the numbers for one of the drills, just to facilitate the exercise and I thought I could play nine! I learned my lesson.”

Duffy and the Connacht management will be hoping that will be the extent of the freakish injuries as they continue a hectic schedule which sees them head to Parma this Sunday (2.30pm Irish time) for a sequence of matches which will continue for 10 more games to the end of January.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Five players exit United as Caulfield sets out his stall for ’21

Keith Kelly

Published

on

Headford's Padraic Cunningham who has rejoined Galway United in new manager John

THE departure of five more players from Galway United has been confirmed – while the return of a man who scored 16 goals for the club in a previous four-season stint at the club has also been announced – as John Caulfield continues to mould the squad he inherited from Alan Murphy into his own design.

Vinny Faherty had already announced his retirement from senior football on Monday of last week, and that news has been followed by the confirmation that Jack Lynch, Conor Barry, Josh Smith, Timo Partheons, and Joe Collins will not be part of the squad for next season.

Lynch did take to Twitter last week saying that a combination of work circumstances and the new training schedule for United means he won’t be returning to the Tribesmen next season.

It is something similar for Barry, who also took to Twitter saying that as he “won’t be living in Galway in the New Year, it logistically wouldn’t work”.

That quintet have had varying experiences at United, from Barry making 77 appearances over five different seasons at the club; to Smith playing just twice this season before his year was ended due to injury.

Caulfield wished the players well in what was a brief statement from the club confirming their departures.

“Since I’ve come to the club, the lads have been fantastic, and they’re all moving on for various reasons. I’d like to thank them all and wish them well in their future careers,” he said.

Barry joined United in 2014, making three appearances under Tommy Dunne in the club’s first season back in the league. He made a further four appearances in 2015 before leaving the club.

He returned in 2018 under Shane Keegan – who was also manager in 2016, when Barry departed – and enjoyed his most successful season in the maroon jersey, scoring 11 goals in 30 league and cup appearances.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending