Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Uncategorized

GMIT seeks new president to move on from cheating scandal

Published

on

The new president of Galway Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT) will be tasked with putting the educational facility’s embarrassing plagiarism scandal to bed but must do so on a smaller salary than their two predecessors.

Michael Carmody retired last month, a year early, after taking up the reigns in April 2011. Marion Coy retired in November 2010.

Secretary/Financial Cokd for five months while a permanent head was found to replace Ms Coy. Mr Carmody started out on the same pay scales of €156,630, but this was cut to €146,000 in line with the 2013 public sector pay cuts.

The Salthill academic was also on a defined benefit pension scheme and received expenses of €7,142 in 2013 alone, according to a report in the Sunday Business Post.

His job has been advertised this month on the same pay grade for a five-year term, with the successful applicant in charge of 7,000 students across five campuses in Galway and Mayo. The new president will play a pivotal role in the resdesignation of the GMIT, Letterkenny IT and IT Sligo as the Technological University for the West/North-West of Ireland in line with the National Strategy for Education to 2030.

“The Governing Body of GMIT is seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate with the capacity and vision to lead the Institute as President in this exciting and challenging stage of its development,” according to the ad.

“The successful candidate will be an inspiring and strategic leader with a proven track record of leadership and achievement at a senior level in business, industry, the public sector or higher education.”

What is not mentioned in the job spec is they will have to manage the legacy of the long-running plagiarism saga which still overshadows Galway’s second biggest education facility .

In an interview with the Galway City Tribune in March, Mr Carmody said he was confident that the independent external investigation – which cost almost €500,000 – got to the bottom of a serious incident of plagiarism at the college’s School of Business.

He stated that disciplinary action had been taken against a number of employees arising from the plagiarism report but would not outline the nature of the sanctions or the identity of those disciplined.

The investigation sought to establish the facts around an allegation that a lecturer facilitated a student, her partner, to cheat in an assignment. The external investigation was also charged with exposing whether the cheating incident was “suppressed, concealed or covered up” by staff. A split in the investigation team later led to one of the investigators being re-hired.

Mr Carmody said the two reports differ slightly, mostly in style but not substance. He reiterated GMIT’s commitment to publish both reports, albeit with many names redacted. That so far has not occurred.

President of NUIG Dr James Browne has dropped from a salary of €240,000 to €200,000 since he took office.

The president of University College Cork, Dr Michael Murphy, is paid €232,000. The president of the Dublin Institute of Technology had a salary drop from €189,474 to €175,877.

Connacht Tribune

A Moycullen win would add badly needed spice to football’s big day

Published

on

Conor Reddington of Annaghdown and Tuam Stars' Adam Carton in action during the North Board Minor B football final at Tuam Stadium on Saturday. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

Inside Track with John McIntyre

BEFORE a ball was kicked in this year’s Galway senior championship, the smart money would have been on champions Corofin, Tuam Stars, Salthill/Knocknacarra and Mountbellew/Moylough making it to the semi-finals if they managed to keep out of each other’s way on the road to the penultimate stage off the title race.

Unfortunately, for a Salthill team which, in any event, didn’t scale their expected heights this year, they came up against the champions in the quarter-finals where the Seasiders’ challenge was dismissed in convincing fashion. It was business as usual for Corofin who remain odds on to claim a record-breaking eighth consecutive title.

With Tuam Stars edging out Bearna after extra-time, a Paul Kelly goal helping Moycullen get the better of St James’, and Mountbellew/Moylough powering home against 14-man Killannin, it means that three of last year’s semi-finalists are back seeking a place in the Galway decider this weekend. Mountbellew/Moylough are the odd ones out having fallen to Corofin in the 2019 quarter-finals.

Val Daly’s troops will need the performance of the lives to overturn club’s football’s dominant power, especially as they continue to field without county player John Daly – a son of their manager. Of course, they are not without a chance and if the likes of Michael Daly, Matthew Barrett, Eoin Finnerty, Eoin Ryan and Barry McHugh hit the ground running, they could give Corofin a searching time.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Greens see red on gold rush

Published

on

Opposition is intensifying to the prospect of a licence being awarded to Canadian gold prospectors planning to explore the heart of Connemara.

Environmental campaigners have warned of the dangers of awarding a prospecting licence to Toronto-based MOAG to mine for gold and silver in land around Roundstone, Ballyconneely and Ballynahinch.

They claim the exploration could devastate water supplies, tourism, wildlife – and also led to tensions in the local community.

Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment, Richard Bruton has indicated he intends to grant a prospecting licence to the company to explore for the valuable minerals in townlands in Ballynahinch Barony.

The licence allows the holder to explore for mineral deposits, and does not authorise mining of any materials that are found – that requires further licensing.

And Minister Bruton’s Department insists that the activities permitted under this licence are “non-invasive” and “of minimal environmental impact”.

However, campaigners have warned of the dangers mining can have on Connemara, and have urged the public to object before July 6.

See full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Controversial Ballinasloe landfill prepares for closure

Published

on

The Galway dump that forced householders to close their windows during the hottest of summers will take in waste for the last time during the middle of this year.

The pong the emanated from the landfill site in Kilconnell will be no more as it will cease accepting waste by the end of June next year.

Ballinasloe area councillors were told how Galway County Council took over the running of the landfill site following the liquidation of the former operators Greenstar.

The Council agreed to accept 300,000 tons of municipal waste over a three-year period and this will come to an end by the middle of next year, after which the dump will be capped and closed the following year.

Director of Services Jim Cullen informed a meeting of Ballinasloe Municipal Council that following the closure of the dump, there would be long term care of the site to ensure that there would be no adverse environmental issues.

When Galway County Council took over the running of the landfill site, an allocation of €300,000 was provided by the Department of the Environment for local projects.

Of this, €120,000 has been given to the area engineer to spend at his discretion and the remaining €180,000 has been dispersed equally among the six Ballinasloe councillors – resulting in each getting €30,000 to spend on projects in their area.

It is expected that a further €300,000 will be allocated to organisations within a certain radius of the landfill site and a committee made up of Cllr Aidan Donohue (FG), Cllr Dermot Connolly (SF) and Cllr Timmy Broderick (Ind) to decide how this fund will be dispersed.

For years, the dump in Kilconnell caused annoyance for local residents because of the smells emanating from the site and many householders say that it is still a major problem.

Cllr Michael Finnerty warned about the possibility of a run-off of leachate – a liquid that drains from landfill sites that can cause pollution – from the site into the future.

He said that he attended a meeting in Ballinasloe in which residents expressed concern about a leachate run-off from the old dump in Poolboy which has been closed down for years.

He was assured by Mr Cullen that the situation in Poolboy was being continually monitored by the Environmental Protection Agency but he would investigate these claims.

With regard to the closure of the dump in Kilconnell, Cllr Aidan Donohue said that he was not convinced about the ongoing maintenance of the site into the future.

He said when the landfill site in New Inn was closed many years ago, the Council just walked away and left the site in an unacceptable state.

The Fine Gael councillor was referring to suggestions that the Kilconnell site might have future potential and may be an asset but he cited what happened in New Inn when he said that it was just abandoned.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending