Date Published: 17-Mar-2011
By Dara Bradley
Galway Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT) will abolish an exams appeals board that was being abused by some students in order to have fail marks upgraded to pass, the Galway City Tribune has learned.
Disbanding the Aegrotat Appeals Board forms part of a major shake-up of the institute’s new procedures in relation to the handling of exam cheats, student appeals and improving standards within the college following a series of damaging revelations in this newspaper.
The Aegrotat Board was set up in GMIT in 2006 to review cases of impaired student performance immediately prior to and during exams. For example, if students were ill or suffered family bereavement at the time of exams they could appeal their results to this board.
But lecturers had become increasingly exasperated that students were abusing this review mechanism. In one recent instance, Dr Gay Keaveney, a chemistry lecturer with 32 years experience within GMIT’s School of Science, complained that the Aegrotat Board had upgraded four students’ fail marks (8.5%, 8.5%, 14% and 18.5%) to pass even though the external examiner “agreed that there was nothing in what they had written that would warrant them getting a pass”.
In a statement this week the college said the Academic Council of GMIT has “recommended to the Governing Body that the Aegrotat Board be dissolved”. This recommendation is expected to be ‘rubber-stamped’ by the Governing Body at a meeting on March 31.
The abolishment of the Aegrotat Board means that student representatives will have less influence on whether or not students have their exam marks upgraded on appeal. Students always had two Student Union representatives on the Aegrotat Board but will not be represented on the Examinations Board.
GMIT Students Union Vice-President, Joe O’Connor, said he had no comment to make when contacted by the Galway City Tribune. The Examinations Board is seen by lecturers as a far more democratic way of dealing with reviews.
Another major shift in policy to be introduced is that students will no longer be allowed to progress into the next year of their course without having passed all subjects.
Up to now, bizarrely, there had been cases where students advanced to their third and final years even though they hadn’t passed certain subjects in semesters in their first and second years of study at GMIT. This practice will no longer be allowed.
For more on this story, see the Galway City Tribune.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.