Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Glennon calls time on his two-year stint as Galway senior ladies football manager

Keith Kelly

Published

on

Stephen Glennon (centre), who has stepped down as Galway senior ladies Gaelic football manager after two years in charge.

The Galway senior ladies footballers are on the hunt for a new manager after Stephen Glennon decided to step down after two years at the helm.

Glennon, who led the Tribeswomen to back-to-back Connacht titles; a first All-Ireland semi-final in five years last August; as well as the semi-final stages of successive National League campaigns, says a combination of family, work, and college commitments means he is unable “to give the role – and these magnificent bunch of players – the 100% commitment and dedication they deserve in 2019”.

“First and foremost, I would like to thank my family, extended and immediate, in particular my wife Edel, for picking up a great of the slack at home, and son Thomas and daughter Lena, for the sacrifices they have made so I could pursue the sporting opportunities that have fortunately come my way,” Glennon said in a statement announcing his decision on Tuesday morning.

“Secondly, I wish to thank the Galway senior ladies and the management team. All I can say is the last year was one of the most enjoyable of my life and a finer squad of players you could not work with.

“The sacrifices they make correlate with those made by elite sportspeople across the other GAA codes and sporting disciplines and, yet, they receive just a fraction of the recognition, support, or financial backing of their peers.

“Their willingness to learn, embrace a vision and drive it forward is a credit to them and I sincerely hope it is not too long before they can secure national honours at senior level,” he said, while also thanking his management team of Michael Comer and Tim Rabbitte (coaches) and selectors Noel Kelly and Ciara Moran; as well as the extended backroom team of Dylan Connors (Strength & Conditioning), Katie Kilbane (sports psychology), Katrina Connolly (goalkeeping coach), Gary Sice (forwards coach), Nollaig Cunningham (defensive coach), Adam Flynn (match day stats), Kate Sherry (videographer), Niall Moran (video editing/production) and Beatrice McGinley and the staff at Galway City Physio.

Some of those who could be in the running to replace Glennon include Tim Rabbitte or Mike Comer from the current management team; previous manager, Kevin Reidy; or 2018 All-Ireland winning minor manager, Kieran Collins.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and  county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

CITY TRIBUNE

Voice of ‘Big O’ reflects on four decades

Denise McNamara

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The daytime voice of Big O Taxis is celebrating four decades in the role – and she has no plans to hang up her headset any time soon.

Roisin Freeney decided to seek a job after staying at home to mind her three children for over a decade. It was 1981 when she saw an advert in the Connacht Sentinel for a dispatch operator.

The native of Derry recalls that the queue for the job wound its way past Monroe’s Tavern from the taxi office on Dominick Street.

“There was a great shortage of work back then. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the line of people. My then husband who was giving me a lift in never thought I’d get the job, he was driving on past and I said, let me off.

“I got it because I worked as a telephonist in the telephone exchange in Derry. But I was terrified starting off because I hadn’t been in the work system for so long.”

Back then Big O Taxis had only 25 drivers and just a single line for the public to book a cab.

“We had an old two-way radio, you had to speak to the driver and everybody could listen in. It was easy to leave the button pressed when it shouldn’t be pressed. People heard things they shouldn’t have – that’s for sure,” laughs Roisin.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of Róisín’s story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Baby boom puts strain on Galway City secondary schools

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A baby boom in the late 2000s has left parents of sixth class pupils in Galway City scrambling to find a secondary school place for their children next September – with over 100 children currently facing the prospect of rejection from city schools.

The Department of Education is now rushing to address the issue and confirmed to the Galway City Tribune this week that it was fully aware of increasing pressure and demand on city schools

Local councillor Martina O’Connor said there were 100 more children more than there were secondary school places for next year, and warned that this would put severe pressure on schools to increase their intake numbers.

“This will put a lot of pressure on schools because they will have been working out the number of teachers and what resources they would need in October or November last year and they could be facing a situation where they will be asked to take an additional eight or 10 students.

“There would normally be a small excess – maybe two or three – but this year, it’s over 100. There is a bigger number of children in sixth class this year and there will be the same issue for the next few years,” said the Green Party councillor.

A Department spokesperson said while there were capacity issues, factors other than numbers could be at play, adding that there were approximately 1,245 children in the city due to move onto secondary school in September.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

GMIT warns partying students they are delaying return to campus

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Partying students have been told their actions have impacted GMIT’s plans to re-start practical classes on campus – and Gardaí are monitoring the city’s bus and train stations to catch those breaking the 5km travel restriction by returning home for the weekend.

College authorities said the current “extremely serious outbreak” of Covid-19 among students in Galway City was caused by a small minority who are “moving and mixing between different households”.

Following a meeting with Gardaí last week, GMIT contacted all students to clarify that because there are no ‘onsite’ classes, there should be no need to travel for educational purposes.

“The Gardaí have notified us that there will be checks at the bus and train stations to implement the 5km travel rule, as well as checkpoints on the roads, and that fines will be given for any non-compliance with this rule,” students were told.

In a separate communication issued this week, the college’s Covid Officer appealed to students to abide by the rules.

“This outbreak has had an impact on our plans with regard to return to onsite practical work, with consequences for all students.

“We are appealing to all students to comply with all Covid restrictions and in doing so, to help ensure that those students who have to return to onsite practical work can do so,” the email read.

Many students from outside the city have opted to stay in their accommodation for access to better broadband.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story and more coverage of Covid figures and vaccinations, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending