Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Gardaí investigate alleged abduction

Francis Farragher

Published

on

The armed Garda Regional Support Unit arrest operation in Salthill. Photo: Clodagh Cutlar/Picture Diary of a Galway Lady via Facebook.

A SPECIAL incident room has been set up at Galway Garda Station to co-ordinate an investigation into the alleged abduction of a man in the Mervue area by three men last Saturday evening.

Three men – understood to be of UK origin – were arrested by Gardaí last Saturday evening following an incident that began in the Barry Avenue area of Mervue shortly after 5pm.

One man, who was in a house in Barry Avenue, is understood to have been forced into a car by the three men, but a short time later, Gardaí were on the scene after the alarm was raised by another person who had noticed the suspicious activity.

The three-man gang is understood to have been targeting one individual from the greater Galway area in their ‘mission’ and then drove off with him in the direction of Salthill shortly after.  A short time later, Gardaí located a van with an English registration in the Salthill area and arrested three men with UK addresses – the man who had been abducted by the trio was then released when the arrests were made. It is understood that the three men who were arrested were unarmed.

The trio were subsequently taken to Galway Garda Station, Mill Street, where they were questioned for a number of hours on Saturday evening by detectives, before a direction was sought from the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions)

They had been questioned by Gardaí in relation to assault and false imprisonment allegations – they were subsequently released with a file to be forwarded to the DPP.

A Garda spokesperson said that a very serious view was being taken of what had happened with an incident room established at Mill Street Station under a senior Garda Investigating Officer.

“We are appealing for any witnesses to what went on – either in the Mervue or Salthill areas – to make contact with us at Galway Garda Station (091 538000). Three arrests were made in relation to allegations of assault and false imprisonment – the three people arrested were questioned under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

“Following questioning, the three were released, with a file being prepared for forwarding to the DPP,” said the Garda spokesperson.

CITY TRIBUNE

Three refused bail on violent disorder charges

Avatar

Published

on

Longford Courthouse

Three men who were arrested this morning as part of a Garda investigation into violent disorder at a funeral in Mervue last year, have been denied bail by a District Court Judge.

Denis Hannafin, Curry; Robbie Hannafin, Corboy, Edgeworthstown and Tommy Hannafin, Dublin Road – all in Longford – were charged with violent disorder in connection with an incident which occurred outside Holy Family funeral home on in January 13 last year.

Detective Garda Ronan Leonard told the court this morning that CCTV footage showed a number of members of the Hannafin family outside the funeral home on January 13, 2019, at approximately 3.15pm, when a number of members of the McGinley family made their way towards them.

An altercation ensued, which resulted in one member of the McGinley family suffering a gunshot wound, while another received a stab wound to the back. A third man suffered acid wounds.

Gardaí explained that there is a feud going on between the two families, which began when juvenile members of the families got into a fight at a pool hall.

Detective Leonard voiced concerns that if the three accused were granted bail, they would commit further offences and intimidate members of the McGinley family.

Judge Seamus Hughes had remanded the three accused in custody to Harristown District Court next Friday, February 28.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Three arrested in investigation into violent incidents outside church

Enda Cunningham

Published

on

Three men will appear in court this morning charged in relation to an number of incidents in Mervue last year. A man suffered a gunshot wound during one of the incidents. 

Gardaí in Longford arrested three males this morning in relation to incidents outside Mervue Church on January 13 last year.

The three males, two aged in their early 40s and the third in his late 30s are due to appear before Longford District Court this morning.

Following a funeral at the church, a man in his 30s received a gunshot wound to the leg and was treated in University Hospital Galway.

A second man in his late teens received a stab wound to the back and was taken to UHG for treatment.

A third man received minor injuries in an assault on Walter Macken Road.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Mice the suspects in University Hospital Galway kitchen closure

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

The Old Nurses’ Home at UHG. The kitchens are to the rear of this building.

The main production kitchen in University Hospital Galway has been closed since last Thursday as a result of suspected rodent activity – with patients and staff being kept in the dark as to the reason food options have been limited for the past week.

The Galway City Tribune understands that kitchen staff were called to a meeting on February 13 to inform them that there was an issue with gas, and as a result, the production kitchen would be closed until further notice.

Following this, staff at the hospital discovered a dead mouse on the premises on Sunday – resulting in the continued closure of kitchen facilities used to feed over 700 patients.

However, the majority of staff have not been officially informed of the real reason the closure had to be enforced – rumours are rife in the hospital with many now aware that it’s as a result of a possible mice infestation.

Eyebrows were raised by staff when it was suggested that an issue with gas supply was at the root of the problem, as the staff canteen in the Old Nurses’ Home has remained operational.

Throughout the week, food options available to patients have become further curtailed – with breakfast limited to cereals, while porridge is unavailable.

Lunches consist of pre-packed sandwiches and salads with tea or coffee, while patients on special diets are being catered for.

The only hot food being made available to patients is being cooked at Merlin Park University Hospital and being transferred across the city by van in evening rush hour.

As a result of this logistical nightmare, patients are receiving their first and only hot meal of the day just before 6pm each evening – anything between 45 minutes and an hour later than normal.

Sources in the hospital told the Tribune that staff from UHG are unable to enter the kitchen at Merlin Park until after 3pm as the kitchen there is run by HSE staff – UHG’s kitchen is run by Aramark, a private contractor.

One staff member who spoke to the Tribune said this incident had highlighted the serious lack of contingency planning in the hospital in relation to the preparation of food – pointing out that if there happened to be a particularly bad traffic snarl up, for example, patients would be left hungry.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending