Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Gardai follow definite line of inquiry into aggravated burglary

Avatar

Published

on

Gardai are following a definite line of inquiry following an aggravated burglary in Rosscahill last week.
An 88 year old man received minor injuries when three men broke into the house where he lived alone at around 4pm last Monday.
The men fled following a struggle with a relative of the homeowner who arrived on the scene.
Gardai have since gathered CCTV evidence from the area which is now being analysed.
It’s understood detectives are following a definite line of inquiry.
Anyone who may have noticed suspicious activity in the area is asked to contact Salthill Garda Station on 091-514720.

Connacht Tribune

Two arrested following taxi hijacking in Galway

Avatar

Published

on

Gardaí have arrested two men following the hijacking of a taxi in Co Galway last night.

Shortly before midnight, Gardaí received a report that two men who were passengers in a taxi had attacked the driver and stole his vehicle.

The driver was ejected from the car on the M18 motorway.

Gardaí were alerted and observed the car in Claregalway.

A managed containment operation to ‘block in’ the taxi was put in place with assistance from the armed Regional Support Unit.

The car was brought to a stop on Bothar na dTreabh and two men fled on foot. The two men, one in his mid-20s and the other in his early-30s, were subsequently arrested.

They are currently detained at Garda HQ in Renmore under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Man arrested after €90,000 drug seizure

Avatar

Published

on

Gardai have arrested a man after €90,000 worth of drugs were discovered in a bog near Ballinasloe.

As part of an ongoing surveillance operation, Gardai conducted a search in Poolboy Bog late yesterday afternoon.

They discovered €70,000 worth of cocaine, and a further €20,000 worth of cannabis along with other drug equipment.

A man in his 20s was arrested at the scene and taken to Ballinasloe Garda Station.

He’s since been charged and will appear before Ballinasloe District Court next Thursday.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Waiting lists surge since pandemic

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

UHG.

Waiting lists at Galway hospitals have rocketed since the onset of Covid-19, with fears that the situation will only worsen as doubts have been cast over the long-awaited new elective hospital at Merlin Park.

Figures released from the National Treatment Purchase Fund, which covers the cost of outsourcing public patients to private hospitals, show that since 2020, waiting lists locally have surged by almost 25%.

Galway City Councillor Níall McNelis said statistics obtained by the Labour Party showed the numbers waiting for inpatient and outpatient treatment were ever increasing, and little was being done to address the problem.

“Waiting lists have skyrocketed since the beginning of 2020 and have increased from 52,935 in January to 65,548 in March 2021, an increase of a whopping 23.8% in a little over a year.

“In every specialism, the numbers waiting at Galway University Hospitals are growing and growing month after month, with the number of people waiting for general surgery growing from 3,468 to 4,990 – a 43.9% increase; [the list for] cardiology treatment has grown from 2,406 to 3,231, a 34.3% increase in little over 14 months,” said the Labour Party councillor.

This sharp increase in waiting times came as Moycullen-based Senator Seán Kyne (FG) cast doubt over the mooted 200 in-patient beds and new elective hospital at Merlin Park – something that has long been presented as the solution to Galway’s health woes.

See the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in shops now – or you can download our digital edition from www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending