Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Gardai appeal for information on vandalism at cemetery

Francis Farragher

Published

on

Residents in the Rahoon area are in the process of setting up a Neighbourhood Watch group following a second incident of vandalism at the local cemetery.

Sometime between Friday evening and Sunday morning (August 30 – Sept 1), slates were removed from a shed at the graveyard and were used to damage a large ornament on one of the graves.

A Garda spokesperson said that it was another incident of mindless vandalism that would cause a lot of upset to families who had loved ones buried there.

“We are making a special appeal for anyone who may have information that would help us to identify the individual or individuals involved in this to make contact with us confidentially at Salthill Garda Station on 091 514720 or Mill Street on 091-538000,” the spokesperson said.

Local councillor John Connolly told the Galway City Tribune that people were very upset at the incidents of vandalism at the cemetery over recent weeks.

“Residents are in the process of setting up a Neighbourhood Watch group and have spoken to the Community Garda in relation to this.

“A lot of what’s going on is more nuisance stuff than anything by way of more serious crime, but local people want to be pro-active in trying to nip this in the bud.

“People are genuinely very upset at hearing of a second incident of vandalism at the cemetery where local families have loved ones buried,” said Cllr Connolly.

On the weekend of August 18, damage was also caused to a number of graveyard ornaments at Rahoon Cemetery, something which Gardaí said caused great upset to families who had loved ones buried there.

According to Cllr Connolly, the City Council have given a commitment to review the fencing in place around parts of the cemetery with a view to reinforcing it.

A spokesperson for Galway City Council said that after the initial vandalism at the cemetery, extra fencing had been installed and more would now be provided.

“There is 24/7 pedestrian access to the cemetery and we would certainly be very reluctant to curtail that. Families of loved one like to visit the cemetery at different times.

“This type of vandalism is utterly disrespectful to the families and friends of people who are buried there – we would urge anyone who has any information on this kind of utterly mindless behaviour to contact the Gardaí,” said the spokesperson.

CITY TRIBUNE

Hundreds of snapper Pat’s Galway photos set to be showcased

Denise McNamara

Published

on

Well-known face: amateur photographer Pat Cantwell

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Pictures of everyday Galway faces and places – captured by an amateur photographer as part of a hobby – are to be featured on new hoarding to be erected around the Bonham Quay building site.

Pat Cantwell’s photos of Galway people, scenery and buildings have garnered over 8,000 followers on his Facebook page, ‘Galway Faces & Places’.

He has now been approached by the developers of Bonham Quay to use 500 images as part of a hoarding around the massive €105 million development creating office space, retail and restaurant units.

Pat has advised members of the public whose photos he has taken to let him know if they are unwilling to be featured in the ‘people wall’.

“I have literally taken thousands of pictures of Galway people – it could be as many as 14,000 people – and I tell them it’s for my website and get their permission,” he explains.

“But it would be madness to try and get 500 signatures for this. Since I told people about it on the website, I’ve had 400 positive affirmations and only one man declined to be involved and that’s fair enough. It will be a random selection of people – as many well-known people as I can get.”

Pat, a native of Raleigh Row who now lives in Mervue, was a salesman in O’Connors TV & Video outlet for 25 years before moving to O’Shaughnessy’s Audiovision and Peter Murphy Electrical prior to his retirement.

It was following an unfortunate accident while on holiday in Australia to visit his son who lived in Perth that his passion for photography really took hold.
This is a preview only. To read the rest of this article, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. Buy a digital edition of this week’s paper here, or download the app for Android or iPhone.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

At least 240 Galway City Airbnbs flouting planning rules

Dara Bradley

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – At least 240 short-stay apartments and houses in Galway City are operating without planning permission, according to local authority estimates.

However, former mayor Niall McNelis has said he believes the real figure is “far higher”, while Green Party councillor Pauline O’Reilly said Airbnb is “destroying our city”.

Under legislation introduced last July, the owners of some Airbnb-type rental properties must apply for planning permission – where they fall within certain criteria – because the city is classed as a Rent Pressure Zone.

For any property which is a second or subsequent home (not the owner’s home) which is used for short-term letting, a ‘change of use’ planning application is required “for the purpose of residential short-term letting/B&B”.

Since the law was passed, Galway City Council has received just three change of use planning applications for short-term lets.

The Council’s own estimate is that there are 1,200 properties in the city that come under the short-term letting umbrella. It estimates that only 720 of these are ‘active’, and of those some 480 are exempt from the new legislation.

That means, according to the Council’s own estimate, that 240 properties in the city are operating without planning permission in breach of the legislation.
This is a preview only. To read the rest of this article, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. Buy a digital edition of this week’s paper here, or download the app for Android or iPhone.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Four-fold increase in homeless children

Stephen Corrigan

Published

on

Emergency 'Cold Weather Response' accommodation for being provided by COPE Galway and the City Council at Seamus Quirke Road.

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Galway City councillors gave their backing to Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy this week, despite being told that the numbers of families and children homeless in the region had sky-rocketed by more than 300% in three years.

At a meeting of the local authority on Monday evening, the Draft Region Homelessness Action Plan 2020-2022 was presented to councillors, in which it was revealed that in terms of homelessness, the West is worst – since 2016, the region had the highest increase in the country.

Three years ago, some 130 adults were accessing homeless services through emergency accommodation. In August of this year, that figure had risen to 351.

The number of homeless families stood at 17 in 2016; this year, that figure was at 83 by the end of September.

Some 200 children were homeless at the end of August 2019, a 344% increase on the 47 who were without a home in 2016.

The report notes that 30 people were sleeping rough in Galway City in October, while there were 251 homeless adults in the city by the end of the third quarter – 146 males; 76 families; and 185 dependents.

A series of actions are set out by the plan, with homelessness prevention at the top of the list. This comprises of ensuring early intervention for high-risk categories, including: prison discharges; young people exiting care; hospital discharges; people exiting direct provision; and victims of domestic violence.

The Mayor and Cllr Ollie Crowe (FF) both described the new Housing Task Force established in Galway – which does not include any elected representatives – as a farce, with the Mayor hitting out at the arrogance of the Minister for Housing in saying that things were improving.

“You’ve a situation where you’ve kids going to school and their news of the day is that they’ve moved to a new B&B – and they’re being laughed at in class,” blasted the Mayor.
This is a preview only. For extensive coverage of the issue, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. Buy a digital edition of this week’s paper here, or download the app for Android or iPhone.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending