A new report to be launched tomorrow highlights a major improvement in mental health and wellbeing in young people using an intensive support programme in Galway
Last year, the Galway/Roscomon youth advocate programme or YAP matched 35 young people and worked with 59 young people and families overall.
YAP say there’s been a 79% improvement in the self esteem and confidence of young people on its Galway programme.
The programme is provided for young people aged 10 to 18 with complex needs, and offers intensive support for up to 6 months.
Call for An Bord Pleanála to find new ways for City Ring Road Oral Hearing to resume
Galway Bay fm newsroom – There are calls for An Bord Pleanála to find new ways for the Galway City Ring Road oral hearing to resume.
Galway Senator Sean Kyne has written to the Chief Executive of An Bord Pleanála seeking clarification on when the proceedings will recommence.
Senator Kyne has asked the planning body to consider using multiple rooms or venues and video confrencing software so the hearing can continue.
The oral hearing was suspended in March due to the Covid-19 pandemic and social distancing restrictions on indoor gatherings.
Senator Kyne says the project is too important for Galway to allow an indefinite drift in the timeline of the hearing.
92 more cases of Covid-19 confirmed today, no new deaths
Galway Bay fm newsroom – There have been no new deaths reported to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre today.
There has now been a total of 1,774 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
As of midnight Wednesday 12th August, the HPSC has been notified of 92 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 26,929 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
Of the cases notified today;
- 43 are men / 48 are women
- 72% are under 45 years of age
- 43 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case
- 12 cases have been identified as community transmission
- 24 in Dublin, 24 in Kildare, 8 in Limerick, 6 in Carlow, 6 in Kilkenny, 5 in Meath, 5 in Clare, and remaining 14 cases are in Cork, Donegal, Kerry, Laois, Louth, Monaghan, Offaly, Waterford and Wicklow.
The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.
The COVID-19 Dashboard provides up-to-date information on the key indicators of COVID-19 in the community.
Dr Ronan Glynn, Acting Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; “We expected that this week the daily figures we report would rise and fall. NPHET is closely monitoring all trends, patterns and changes in the data, including not just case numbers but locations, age groups, and sources of transmission.
“We are asking those in Kildare, Laois and Offaly to hold firm and stay with us in the measures introduced last weekend. As today’s figures show, cases are also occurring in several other counties around the country. This is still about a united, whole of country approach. The only way we can effectively suppress COVID-19 across Ireland in the long term is if we act together to protect each other.
“Living with COVID-19 has undoubtedly been difficult and this pandemic has adversely impacted on people in many different ways. We know that what the public health advice asks you to do can be difficult, but we are asking you to stay the course with it.
“Individual actions break the chains of transmission of this virus. Avoiding crowded places, limiting your social contacts, working from home where possible, not attending house parties, keeping 2m distance, washing your hands and wearing a face covering – all of these safe behaviours matter, and all of them add up to make a significant difference.”
Galway 2020 says a number of staff roles made redundant following consultation process
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway 2020 has confirmed that a number of staff roles have been made redundant following a consultation process.
The company says it will continue to review its operations, and the necessary resources required to deliver the programme on an ongoing basis.
Its comes as Galway 2020 has today announced a revised programme to run from September until March 2021.
In May Galway 2020 extended its temporary lay-off programme for staff by 30 days due to impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
20 employees were temporarily laid off during the period while a redundancy consultation process got underway.
A statement released by Galway 2020 this afternoon states that due to the impact of COVID-19 the group had to undertake a complete review of its operations, which included a redundancy consultation process with the staff of Galway 2020.
The outcome of this process is that unfortunately a number of roles were made redundant.
Galway 2020 today launched its revised programme to run from September until March 2021.