Date Published: 13-Apr-2011
GALWAY U-21 footballers have kept faith with the same team which won the Connacht final for their All-Ireland semi-final clash against Munster champions Cork at Cusack Park, Ennis this Saturday (6:30pm).
The young Tribesmen have generated a great deal of optimism following their victory over Roscommon in the Connacht decider – the county’s first title at this grade since 2005, when they also won the All-Ireland – but now they face their greatest challenge to date when they meet 2011 All-Ireland favourites Cork.
Galway boss Alan Mulholland admits his charges have a tough hour of football ahead of them. “I was delighted for about three days (with the 1-10 to 0-4 Connacht final win over Roscommon), until I went down to see the Munster final,” he laughs, referring to the Leesiders 2-24 to 0-8 provincial victory over Kerry.
“Cork were excellent – they were very good – but the debate is how good or bad were Kerry? My own opinion is that I have never seen a bad Kerry team but, in any event, Cork made short work of them.”
Indeed, in that game, full-forward Barry O’Driscoll scored 1-6, with corner forward Donal Óg Hodnett and centre-forward Mark Collins posting 1-4 and 0-7 respectively. Captain Ciarán Sheehan finished with 0-3.
That said, Mulholland agrees that Munster final game will have no relevance on Saturday’s proceedings, acknowledging each game takes on a life of its own. “I am hoping that will be the case. Yeah, it’s a new a game.
“Cork got a run on Kerry early on, scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes, and you could see the Kerry lads’ head drop. Cork just kept the foot down. We would be hoping that we would not let that happen and that we will be able to match them from start to finish.”
Indeed, Galway, themselves, were impressive when dismissing 2010 provincial holders, Roscommon at Pearse Stadium earlier this month, playing an attractive brand of passing football. Substitute Adrian Murphy scored the champions’ goal late on to cap a memorable victory.
“What I was happy with about the Roscommon game was that we seized the game early on,” says Mulholland. “We played against the wind in the first half, we got to work straight away, and we managed to hold Roscommon to two points.
“We did have a sticky patch in the second half, where they came at us but, overall, we did well and everybody from one to 15, I thought, put in a strong, hard shift,” praises the Salthill/Knocknacarra man.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.