Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway U-21s coast home

Published

on

Date Published: 03-May-2011

FOR the neutrals at Croke Park on Sunday, it might have turned out to be something of an anti-climax with the game effectively over as a contest after 20 minutes but that didn’t take any sheen from the Galway dressing room under the Cusack Stand, shortly before 3.30pm.

There were the usual yelps of delight but there was a deeper satisfaction about going to Croke Park and delivering what must have come close to the complete team performance – a fourth under-21 title had been secured after a 2-16 to 1-9 win over Cavan.

Four years ago, Alan Mulholland led the Galway minors to All-Ireland success – a far tighter affair that day against Derry – May Day in Croke Park, 2011, had to be a more relaxed affair . . . well at least for the supporters.

“Our forwards did a lot of damage in the first half and I was delighted with their movement and pace. But I really wanted our lads to concentrate for the first ten minutes of the second half, not to give anything away soft and not to think that they had the game won,” said Mulholland.

Deep down though, the Galway manager was beaming, although his visit to the Cavan dressing room did bring home to him what the pain of defeat is about. Cavan brought about a completely new challenge to Galway as distinct from the Cork match.

“Against Cork we went into the match with nothing to lose. Cork came with the big reputation and very few outsiders gave us any chance but today we were going into the game as favourites and Cavan had fantastic support behind them. I’m delighted at the way the lads adapted to the challenge and I’m also glad at the turn-out of Galway supporters.

“We knew that Cavan would play a style of game where they would try and get a lot of bodies behind the ball. Our plan was to get quick ball into our forwards and to use the open spaces of Croke Park – it worked very well for us,” said Mulholland.

Penalty save hero Manus Breathnach said that ‘he had taken a guess’ about the side that Barry Reilly was going to send the penalty.

“A lot of right footed kickers will tend to hit the ball to the goalie’s left. I just took one look at him before he took the kick and made up my mind to go the left – it turned out to be a good guess,” said the An Spideál goalkeeper.

Galway captain Colin Forde said that after the first 10 minutes of the match, it was hard to see how there could be much between the teams.

“It really was end to end stuff for the first 10 minutes and the Cavan forwards looked quite dangerous. We were all set for a very tight battle but Patrick Sweeney’s first goal really made a big difference – our forwards really made use of the Croke Park pitch. I thought that they really played well,” said Forde.

Galway Football Board Chairman, John Joe Holleran, asked the Galway players to treat Sunday’s victory as a ‘stepping stone’ to greater things in the future.

“You have shown everyone how Galway can play football. It was a great exhibition of how the game should be played – this is truly a great lift for the game in the county,” said the Chairman.

Seconds later in the Croke Park dressing room when Cavan manager Terry Hyland addressed the Galway team, the pain of defeat was etched all over face, although he was gracious in his remarks.

“You are a remarkable young team but stay with it because those few years pass so quickly – the chance only lasts a very short while,” he said.

And maybe those sober few words, delivered through the pain barrier, might provide the most powerful message of all to the Galway players.

This week though, the taste of success is good and it’s one that Galway will want to hold onto.

For a complete match report see page 23 of this week’s Connacht Sentinel.

More reports and reaction in Thursday’s Connacht Tribune.

 

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending