Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway is set to benefit from a jobs announcement by a US software group.
Insurance software and consultancy provider Sedgwick plans to create a 250 new jobs at its seven Irish offices, including the company’s office at Liosbán Business Park in the city.
Roles are available in areas including sales, customer service and corporate finance.
Tune in to Galway Bay fm news for more details….
Count set to resume in Seanad election with Galway Senator Sean Kyne is lead position
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Counting is set to resume later this hour (9.30am) to elect senators to the cultural and educational panel in the Seanad elections with Galway Senator Sean Kyne in lead position.
The count was suspended last night after the 13th count, with no candidate so far reaching the 188,000 quota.
Galway Fine Gael Senator Sean Kyne is leading on 180,000, followed in second place by his party colleague John McGahon on 175,000.
Sinn Fein’s Fintan Warfield on 157,000, Lisa Chambers of Fianna Fail on 144,000, and the Green Party’s Saoirse McHugh on 132,000 make up the top five.
There are five seats for up grabs on this panel.
Loughrea area Fine Gael councillor Michael Moegie Maher has been eliminated, as has Loughrea area Fianna Fail councillor Shane Curley.
Nine more cases of COVID 19 recorded in Galway
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Nine further cases of COVID 19 have been confirmed in Galway bringing the total recorded in the county to 77.
The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has been informed of 295 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
The latest report from the HPSC shows that eight further patients diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died.
Six of these deaths occurred in the east, one in the south and one in the west.
The median age of the latest reported deaths is 86 with six patients understood to have underlying health conditions.
There have now been 54 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
Professor Philip Nolan, who chairs the Covid-19 modelling advisory group, says Ireland is making progress, but can’t predict when the surge of cases will come…
Man charged with assault after allegedly coughing on staff at Tesco Ballinasloe
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A 33-year-old man has appeared before Galway District Court charged with assault after allegedly coughing in the direction of two female Tesco workers in Ballinasloe.
Konrad Prokopczyk, a Polish national who resides at 70 Esker Hills, Ballinasloe, was arrested at the shop last evening.
Konrad Prokopczyk was charged with assaulting both employees, with breaching the peace and with giving a false and misleading name and address.
Garda David Sheffield said the accused replied “I didn’t do it” when charged with giving a false name and address and made no reply to the other charges.
Gardai objected to a possible bail application, citing the seriousness of the alleged offences and the possibility he may reoffend.
It was claimed he had shown no remorse and thought the offences funny – and was laughing at the two injured parties who are employees at Tesco Ballinasloe.
Defence solicitor, Martina Moran, said her client had no previous convictions or outstanding warrants and would abide by any bail conditions set by the court.
She said her client was a Polish national who had been in the country for two years and had recently been laid off from his job – and was now very aware now of the seriousness of the current situation and consequences.
Judge Marie Keane said it was with the greatest of reluctance that she would grant bail, noting it was “utterly despicable”.
She remanded the accused on bail to appear before Ballinasloe District Court next Thursday, April 2.
Bail was granted on several conditions – including that Mr. Prokopczyk observe a nightly curfew, comply with Covid-19 Government guidelines, and not enter any retail outlet of any description during the current emergency.