Galway Bay fm newsroom – The number of spaces available on the Rural Social Scheme in Connemara is just a fraction of what’s needed.
That’s according to Deputy Eamon O’ Cuiv, who says Galway has the third highest number of farmers in receipt of Farm Assist nationwide at 659.
However, he’s pointing out that there are just 36 spaces on the RSS in the whole of the non-Gaeltacht part of Connemara, which has a large number of farmers.
The Galway West Fianna Fail TD argues additional places must be made available to community development company FORUM Connemara.
More on this story at 9
6 further deaths from COVID-19 nationally, 269 new cases, less than 5 in Galway
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 6 additional death related to COVID-19.
There has been a total of 2,033* COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.
As of midnight Tuesday 24th November, the HPSC has been notified of 269 confirmed cases of COVID-19. There is now a total of 71,187** confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.
Of the cases notified today;
- 123 are men / 146 are women
- 64% are under 45 years of age
- The median age is 35 years old
- 88 in Dublin, 42 in Cork, 25 in Limerick, 20 in Louth, 16 in Donegal, and the remaining 78 spread across 17 other counties.
As of 2pm today 260 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 36 are in ICU. 23 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.
The COVID-19 Dashboard provides up-to-date information on the key indicators of COVID-19 in the community.
*Validation of data at the HPSC led to the denotification of one death. The figure of 2,033 deaths reflects this.
** Validation of data at the HPSC led to the denotification of 12 confirmed cases. The figure of 71,187 confirmed cases reflects this.
|County||Today’s cases (to midnight 24NOV2020)||14-Day incidence rate per 100,000 population (11NOV2020 to 24NOV2020)||New Cases during last 14 days (11NOV2020 to 24NOV2020)|
Councillors to debate draft city budget which leaves property tax and commercial rate unchanged
Galway Bay fm newsroom – City Councillors will next week debate a draft budget for 2021 worth over €100m which leaves property tax and commercial rate unchanged.
It comes as the Chief Executive of the local authority has acknowledged that 2020 has been one of the hardest years on record.
This year’s proposed draft budget is worth €102.5m – an increase of almost €3m on the figure for last year.
Councillors voted not to increase local property tax this year, so the extra allocations will come from other areas – including savings in operating costs following European Capital of Culture 2020.
Commercial rates will make up the bulk of the budget at €37m, unchanged from last year.
Chief Executive Brendan McGrath notes that 2020 has been one of the hardest years on record.
Galway was expected to have 3 million visitors this year on the back of the Capital of Culture title – instead, Covid-19 has seen footfall on the streets reduced by almost 80 percent.
Despite the unprecedented shortfalls and hardships experienced across the city as a result of the ongoing pandemic, the Chief Executive says the demand for services continues to grow, matched by public expectations.
Priority areas identified in the draft budget include Housing, Transportation, Water Services, Planning & Economic Development, Climate Action, Sustainability, Recreation & Amenity services and the areas of Culture, Community & Heritage.
Key capital projects for 2021 include housing developments, traffic management plans, improved access at Parkmore, urban regeneration projects, improved public spaces, additional recreation and amenity facilities, climate action initiatives, extending Galway City Museum and advancing plans for flood defense works.
The largest single allocation in the draft budget is to Housing & Building, which has been costed at €39m – almost 40 percent of the entire budget.
A further €17m will go towards Recreation & Amenity, while €15m has been allocated to Road, Transport & Safety.
City Councillors will gather at Leisureland in Salthill on Monday afternoon to discuss the draft budget.
Kilcolgan boy settles high court action over hearing loss treatment by HSE
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A 13-year-old Kilcolgan boy who sued the HSE over the treatment he was given for his hearing loss by has settled his High Court action for €450,000.
It was claimed that Callan Molloy‘s speech and language development was delayed significantly in his early years and he did not get a cochlear implant until he was eight years of age.
His hearing, it was claimed, was under-amplified from 2008 to around 2012 and a situation was allegedly allowed where he had limited access to the speech spectrum during his optimal development age for language acquisition.
Callan Molloy, of Ballinderreen, Kilcolgan, had sued the HSE through his father Ronan Molloy.
In the High Court today an apology from the HSE’s Community Healthcare West to Callan and his family was read out.
According to the Irish Examiner, it expressed a wish to ‘unreservedly apologise’ for the standard of audiology care delivered to Callan.
It said the standard of the audiology care delivered ‘was not to the standard our services would believe was appropriate’.
Outside court Callan’s father, Ronan Molloy, said for five years his son’s hearing loss was misdiagnosed and he was inadequately aided, and this has resulted in a lifelong impairment to his speech and language comprehension.
He said his family now hope the HSE will implement the findings of their review to ensure the audiology service in Ireland is properly resourced.