Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

GALWAY SENATOR AND TRADESMAN TO IRON OUT DIFFERENCES

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-Mar-2012

A Judge has ruled that both parties in a legal battle over alleged non payment of works at the home of Galway Senator Fidelma Healy Eames must iron out their differences or else have the case heard before him in May.

Oranmore tradesman, Michael Allen claims he is owed just under 23 thousand euros by Mrs Healy Eames and her husband Michael, for plumbing work carried out at an extension to the Healy-Eames home in Maree, Oranmore.

Mr Allen first took an action against Senator Healy-Eames and her husband in June 2010 when he sued them for almost 36 thousand euro.

He received €13,000 from the couple but claims he is still owed just under € 23,000.

Senator Healy-Eames strongly rejects the claims made by Mr Allen.

In 2007, Senator Healy-Eames and her husband applied for planning permission to knock their home in Maree, Oranmore and build a new house in its place.

Original plans for an adjacent garage were extended during the construction phase to include a 400 square foot meeting room.

On the direction of Judge Gerald Keys at Galway Circuit Civil Court yesterday, barristers for both sides held meetings with their respective engineers and tried to agree the costs of items of contention in relation to Mr Allen’s claim.

When both sides failed to reach agreement, Judge Keys directed that both parties and their engineers meet on site to agree the work carried out, its value, the outstanding works to be carried out, the value of those, and any alleged remedial works carried out and its value after Mr Allen repudiated his contract agreement and walked off site in November, 2009.

Judge Keys directed that both sides exchange their engineers’ reports before April 20 next and he gave both sides until May 3 when the matter will again be listed before the court, to either resolve their differences or go to full hearing.

 

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Visiting restrictions lifted at UHG following vomiting bug outbreak

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 08-May-2013

Visiting restrictions have been lifted at University Hospital Galway following an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.

The restrictions had been in place on impacted wards since April 22nd.

Ann Cosgrove, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals says visiting restrictions are now being lifted as the outbreak is considered to be over.

However she warns that there are signs that the Winter Vomiting Virus is still active in the community.

 

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Two men before courts over county grow houses

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 10-May-2013

Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.

They appeared before Galway Circuit court.

Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.

In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.

Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.

He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.

He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.

He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

City arthouse cinema granted 200 thousand euro

Bernie Ni Fhlatharta

Published

on

Date Published: 14-May-2013

Galway City Council has agreed to provide 200 thousand euro in funding to the Art House cinema project.

It’s being termed as a final allocation, to be donated over four years, and is subject to the project securing further finance from the Western Development Commission.

The decision was made at last evening’s city council meeting where representatives of Solas explained how they are attempting to bridge a shortfall in funding to bring the building to completion.

The City Council acquired the site for the Art House Cinema on Merchants Road at a cost of 1.8 million euro, and donated it by way of long term lease.

Construction has been plagued with difficulties, however it’s now hoped the building will be completed this Autumn, and could be open by early 2014.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending