Galway Bay fm newsroom – Almost three million euro in funding has been announced for special housing needs projects in the city and county.
Housing Minister Jan O’Sullivan has allocated 1.1 million euro for a new domestic violence refuge in the city.
COPE Galway’s refuge is located at the former Magdalene site on Forster Street.
The premises was donated by the Sisters of Mercy, but needs extensive renovation which will cost in the region of 2.5 million euro.
CEO of COPE Galway Jacquie Horan says the allocation will help the team to respond to the growing level of demand for the service.
In the county, the Minister has sanctioned 1.8 million euro for a bungalow development scheme in Ballinasloe to cater for the elderly.
This will include 12 properties and is a joint venture between Saint Vincent De Paul and Cluid.
Local Councillor Johnny Walsh says the development will be located across from Hymany Park estate after a long campaign.
The post Galway secures €3m fund for special housing projects appeared first on Galway Bay FM.
Over 5,600 Covid 19 tests completed in Galway over last week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Over 5,600 Covid 19 tests were carried out at Galway’s two testing bases in the last week.
The Galway Airport site completed 4,186 tests in the period.
In the city, the Forster Street site carried out an additional 1,442 tests.
Latest figures show 721 Covid 19 cases were recorded in Galway over the last 14 days.
Garda investigation as violent incident in Tuam leaves seven hospitalised
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Gardaí are investigating after a major public order incident in Tuam yesterday left seven people injured.
A violent altercation broke out between a large group at a cemetery in Tuam at about 4pm yesterday.
Around 30 Gardaí responded to the incident at a cemetery on the Athenry Road in Tuam, which broke out following two local funerals in the area.
Gardaí supported by members from the wider North Western Region and the Regional Armed Support Unit had to physically intervene between parties and disperse those present.
Five males and two females were injured during the course of the incident and were taken to University Hospital Galway with non-life threatening injuries.
A 16-year-old boy was arrested at the scene, as he tried to flee in possession of a knife.
He was taken to Tuam Garda Station and has since been released. A file is being prepared for the Juvenile Liaison Officer.
Gardaí are appealing for any witnesses to this incident or for anyone with any information to contact Tuam Garda Station .
1,432 new cases of COVID-19 nationally; 30 deaths in the past week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1,432* confirmed cases of COVID-19.
As of 8am today, 272 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 63 are in ICU.
There has been a total of 5,209 deaths related to COVID-19 notified in Ireland. This includes 30 deaths newly notified in the past week (since last Wednesday).
Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said:
“We have been closely monitoring the incidence of COVID-19 and we are reassured that that the reopening of schools has not led to an increase in transmission of COVID-19 amongst school-going children or more widely across the population. This is good news for students, parents and all those involved in the education of our children. As always, we will keep disease transmission in the population under review, but given the importance of education for our children we feel that now is the right time to evolve our approach to the public health management of COVID-19 in educational settings.
“From Monday 27 September, we will change how we manage COVID-19 in our schools. Contact tracing of close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education and testing of asymptomatic close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education will no longer be necessary.
“Children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as close contacts in childcare, educational settings, special education settings or other non-household settings and who are asymptomatic will no longer be required to routinely restrict movements.
“Given the substantially higher risk of transmission in households as compared to any other setting, children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as household close contacts, will still be required to restrict movements and be tested, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms.
“Public health advice remains that any person, including children aged 12 yrs or under who displays symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should rapidly self-isolate and not attend school or to socialise until 48 hours after they are symptom free.”