Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Galway native Gerard Craughwell pulls out of presidential campaign due to cost factor

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Independent Senator and Galway city native Gerard Craughwell has pulled out of the race to be President due to the substantial costs involved in running a campaign.
Over the last year Senator Craughwell, who grew up in Salthill, had been the main agitator in favour of having a contest.
He said that he feared people would be denied their say in an election with the main parties backing the incumbent Michael D Higgins.
He feels a system that would allow the presidency to be rolled over for another seven years was profoundly undemocratic.
Senator Craughwell said he put himself forward as a candidate to make sure there would be a race, and today he said he’s happy now to have achieved that.
However, he told Keith Finnegan that the main reason for his withdrawal is that he doesn’t want to go into debt at the age of 65 in order to run a campaign.
Tune in to The News@1 for Galway to hear more…

Breaking News

1,432 new cases of COVID-19 nationally; 30 deaths in the past week

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1,432* confirmed cases of COVID-19.

As of 8am today, 272 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 63 are in ICU.

There has been a total of 5,209 deaths related to COVID-19 notified in Ireland. This includes 30 deaths newly notified in the past week (since last Wednesday).

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said:

“We have been closely monitoring the incidence of COVID-19 and we are reassured that that the reopening of schools has not led to an increase in transmission of COVID-19 amongst school-going children or more widely across the population. This is good news for students, parents and all those involved in the education of our children. As always, we will keep disease transmission in the population under review, but given the importance of education for our children we feel that now is the right time to evolve our approach to the public health management of COVID-19 in educational settings.

“From Monday 27 September, we will change how we manage COVID-19 in our schools. Contact tracing of close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education and testing of asymptomatic close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education will no longer be necessary.

“Children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as close contacts in childcare, educational settings, special education settings or other non-household settings and who are asymptomatic will no longer be required to routinely restrict movements.

“Given the substantially higher risk of transmission in households as compared to any other setting, children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as household close contacts, will still be required to restrict movements and be tested, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms.

“Public health advice remains that any person, including children aged 12 yrs or under who displays symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should rapidly self-isolate and not attend school or to socialise until 48 hours after they are symptom free.”

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Gardai at scene of public order offence at Tuam Graveyard

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Gardaí are currently at the scene of a public order incident at Tuam Graveyard.

FYI Galway understands the incident, which involves large numbers, broke out after a funeral.

The emergency services are also at the scene, and there are unconfirmed reports of injuries.

The situation is causing long traffic delays in the area.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Foul play not suspected in discovery of body on Kinvara coastline

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Following the post mortem examination Gardai are treating the discovery of a woman’s body near the coast in Kinvara as a tragedy which rmeans foul play is not suspected

A person out walking near the shoreline made the discovery at around 11.30 yesterday morning at Doorus, north of Kinvara

Gardai say efforts to identify the deceased are ongoing this evening

A spokesperson for Gort Gardai told FYI Galway the post mortem examination concluded this afternoon and An Garda Síochána are treating the death as a tragedy

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending