Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Breaking News

Galway native convicted rapist gets 11 months for not registering as a sex offender

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway native convicted rapist Garrett Phillips has received an 11-month sentence today for failing to register as a sex offender while out on bail awaiting sentence in July.
It will be concurrent to the six-year sentence he is currently serving.
The 47-year-old former Ros na Rún actor was convicted by a jury on April 18 of orally raping a then 20-year-old student at a Galway city location in November 2015, following a four-day trial at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin.
He was allowed out on bail at the time on condition he sign on at his local Garda station in Galway three times a week, to await sentence in July.
In the intervening period, however, Phillips failed to place himself on the Sex Offender’s Register as required following his conviction for rape in April.
He subsequently received a six-year prison sentence in July for the rape offence and is expected to serve four-and-a-half years with remission.
Gardai in Galway moved to have him prosecuted for not registering as a sex offender following his conviction and he was brought in custody before Galway District Court on August 28
The matter was adjourned to today’s court for sentence where Sergeant Finbarr Philpott said the accused should have notified Gardaí of his personal details, including his address, following his conviction in April, as required by the obligations of the Sex Offenders Act.
The court was told Phillips registered as a sex offender in May when he became aware of his obligations while still out on bail awaiting sentence, which was passed on July 9.
Judge Mary Fahy said that Phillips was “in the wrong” not to have registered straight after his conviction, but his defence was that he was going to the Garda station signing on three times a week as part of his bail conditions at the time.
Judge Fahy said it was not a deliberate non-compliance and noting the guilty plea, she sentenced Phillips to 11 months in prison, concurrent to the six-year sentence he is currently serving.

Breaking News

County Policing committee hears of serious concern over ‘huge increase’ of rural crimes and burglaries in East Galway

Published

on

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/earzhj/mary_hoade8ct99.mp3

Galway Bay fm newsroom – The County Galway Joint Policing committee has been told of the serious concern over the ‘huge increase’ in rural crimes and burglaries in East Galway.

Tuam area Councillor Mary Hoade says that she has already heard of 10 burglaries in the area since the start of the year.

This represents 5 per cent of the total number of burglaries reported across the whole county for all of last year.

Councillor Hoade says she’s very concerned, and outlines what needs to be done to tackle the increase.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

University of Galway researchers aiming to improve ventilator outcomes

Published

on

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/2u8icn/johnventilator.mp3

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Researchers at the University of Galway are aiming to improve outcomes for patients on ventilators.

They’ve taken part in a new international study, that found high death rates in weaning intensive care patients from ventilation.

It found that over a third of patients who required mechanical ventilation for longer than two days could not be successfully taken off.

Speaking to Galway talks, Professor John Laffey said the area is not well studied despite the importance of weaning.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Questions over County Council delays in processing social housing applications

Published

on

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/w64v4g/LeoHouses.mp3

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Questions are being raised over the length of time it’s taking for Galway County Council to process social housing application forms.

Galway West Sinn Fein TD Mairead Farrell raised the matter with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar in the Dáil.

She said it’s supposed to be a 12-week window – but it’s taking far longer for some people, and it seems to be due to lack of staff.

Speaking in response, Leo Varadkar said he would ensure the matter is looked into.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending