Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway look to put Wexford defeat behind them in home clash with Laois

Published

on

Galway defender Daithi Burke who will be hoping the Tribesmen can turn on the style against Laois at Pearse Stadium on Sunday.

GALWAY senior hurlers – following their disheartening defeat to Wexford last day out – will look to get the show back on the road when they host Laois in their Division 1B National league fixture at Pearse Stadium on Sunday (2pm).

While the general perception is that promotion out of Division 1B is beyond them after that loss, the Galway camp can only play what is in front of them now and concentrate on their campaign which could still see them in the mix at the business end of the National League.

Aside from a few players carrying niggles, manager Micheal Donoghue has no major injury worries heading into this one. “We are not too bad and it is a huge benefit to us that everyone is back, including the two Mannions. So, we have a full deck to choose from,” he outlined.

Sharpshooter Joe Canning made his return against Wexford last day out from what potentially could have been a career-ending hamstring injury sustained in last year’s All-Ireland semi-final. Donoghue said it was a big plus to have the Portumna man back in harness.

“Joe has made massive progress and it has been great that he is back out on the pitch but we still have to be very cautious about re-introducing him for a full game. He will be part of the squad again on Sunday, but we are continuously monitoring his injury with the medical staff.”

In any event, Jason Flynn and Conor Cooney have been in great scoring form the last two games, scoring 2-15 (0-11 placed balls) and 0-9 (eight from play) respectively, while there has been no shortage of goalscorers as captain David Burke, Conor Whelan (2), Johnny Coen, Joseph Cooney, Brian Molloy and the returning Canning (penalty) have all found the net.

Defensively, they have work to do although the return of Padraic Mannion and Daithí Burke – included last day out – following their exploits with their respective clubs should be a help in this regard.

That said, you still feel Galway are short one more quality defender at the moment and, while not an issue in their big win over Offaly, it did become an area of concern in the defeat to Wexford. One suspects, this will not be lost on the Galway management going forward.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

 

CITY TRIBUNE

No end in sight for work on junction near Galway Clinic

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – The City Council has declined to set a date for the completion of the Martin roundabout replacement near Galway Clinic – which was due to have opened more than a month ago.

In a statement, the Council would only confirm that the project was over 50 per cent completed.

“The project is now progressing to the surface type works including the installation of roadside kerbs, provision of footpaths and cycle lanes and road surfacing. These elements of the works will progress quite rapidly over the next month and there will be more of an appreciation for the progress on this project and the final layout will start to become apparent,” said a spokesperson.

“Ducting and preparatory works for the traffic signal installation is in progress and installation of the lights themselves will commence once the majority of surface works are complete. The final phase of the works will consist of significant landscaping of the junction.”

Work began on the junction in February, with an expected six-month schedule.

“There have been some delays to the programme as a result of industry-wide, supply-chain issues related to the war in Ukraine. There has also been further delays due to rock being encountered on site.

Rock was expected, however the hardness of the rock has been greater than anticipated and as such, has been slower to break and excavate on site,” according to the Council.
This is a shortened preview version of this story. To read the rest of the article and to support our journalism, see the October 7 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway Docklands Festival set to make a big splash in the city!

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The city’s link to the sea is to be celebrated later this month with the staging of the inaugural Galway Docklands Festival featuring a range of culinary treats, sea tours, demonstrations and talks.

Running from the weekend of Friday, October 21 to Sunday, October 23, the event has the aim of celebrating the city’s bond with the sea and the local waterways network.

Organised by the Galway Hooker Sailing Club, Galway Bay Boat Tours and Galway Bay Seafoods, the spectacle has a packed schedule of events – many of them free – through each of its three days.

The ‘pay events’ – ranging from €5 to €15 – include a coffee morning, beer and seafood sampling as well as an historical boat tour of the Claddagh and Galway Bay (€15).

Boatbuilder Cóilín Ó hIarnáin will be giving free demonstrations of his skills on each of the three days; Ciaran Oliver will give a walking tour of the seafront (€10); while there will also be a free Galway Hooker rigging demonstration.

For the more adventurous, there are supervised powerboard ‘taster spins’ (€10) while for ‘the foodies’ the Galway Bay Seafoods fish’n’chips, the Hooker beer and seafood sampling, as well as the family cooking demonstrations – all priced at €10 each – look set to be big attractions.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story, see the October 7 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Mayor told to stay away from homecoming over funding snub

Published

on

From the Galway City Tribune – The Mayor of Galway was asked to stay away from homecoming celebrations for extreme adventurer Damian Browne, the Galway City Tribune understands.

Mayor Clodagh Higgins was told that she was not to attend the event at the Docks on Tuesday as there had been disappointment in the ‘Project Empower’ camp that funding had not been made available from Galway City Council.

The Galway City Tribune has learned that Project Empower, which is led by Voluntary Manager MacDara Hosty, applied for €30,000 in funding from the local authority’s Marketing Fund in September 2021, but was deemed ineligible.

A spokesperson for Galway City Council confirmed this week that Project Empower did not meet the criteria set down by the fund which seeks to support the holding of major events and festivals in the city.

In documents seen by this newspaper, Project Empower proposed that Galway City Council be the title partner at a cost of €30,000 plus VAT.

The Tribune understands that the Council’s refusal to provide this funding was at the root of the Mayor’s snub on Tuesday, which drew attention online as members of the public questioned her absence.

When contacted, the Mayor refused to be drawn on questions relating to the Marketing Fund, but said it was her intention to offer a Civic Reception to Damian Browne at the nearest opportunity.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of this story and extensive coverage of Damian Browne’s homecoming, see the October 7 edition of the Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending