Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Galway In Days Gone By

Published

on

Mr. Michael O'Hehir, R.T.E. Sports Chief with the Galway Sports Stars of the Year after he presented them with their awards at the banquet in the Great Southern Hotel, Galway. Seated (l. to r.): Patricia Regan (Lawn Tennis), Katherine Small (Swimming); Mr. O'Hehir, Colette Heaney, who received it on behalf of her brother Frank for Boxing; Patricia Kelly (Table Tennis). Standing: Joehn Keenan (Gaelic Football), Mick Molloy (Athletics), Sean Hosty (Golf), Sean Duggan (Hall of Fame), Ciarán Keys (Soccer), Gerry O'Mahoney (Hurling) and Mick Glynn (Badminron).

1918

Daylight robbery

A daring robbery is reported to have occurred near Rahoon on Monday. Mrs. Mary Codyre, who resides in the village, was returning home on a donkey and cart from the city and overtook three youths at Leitriff. One of them asked her for seats on the cart, which she consented to do.

After traversing half a mile on the cart, the youths jumped off. Mrs. Codyre examined the cart, and found that a sack, in which she had two pairs of new boots, was missing. The youths had fled.

She returned to Dominick-street police barracks and, and Sergeant McGlynn and Constable Donegan immediately set out on their bicycles in search for the youths.

After a lengthy tour, they came upon a young fellow named John Badger, from Munster Lane, who was carrying a boot under each arm, inside his coat. He brought the police to Taylor’s Hill, where he pointed out, hidden in a wall, the other pair of boots. The search for the other boys continued until the next day, when they were arrested.

The three were brought before Mr. Young, J.P., who remanded them to the Petty Sessions, admitting Badger to bail, and ordering the other two, John J Hession and John J Kelly, both of whom reside in Raleigh-row, to be detained in custody.

Burned to death

An old man named Michael Hoban, who lived alone at Cloondariga, near Dunmore, was found burned to death in his house. It is supposed that his clothing must have caught fire and that he was unable to extinguish the flames.

Was it larceny?

The police state in connection with the reported theft from Messrs. Williams’ malting stores, Galway, that there are no grounds for presumption that the premises were broken into or that barley had been removed. They examined the premises minutely, and the only thing that could be suggested as an attempt at forcible entry was the absence of a few screws from the hinge of a door, the frame of which was decayed.

In their opinion, none of the barley was removed; the only theory suggesting such a depredation being the sinking of the large pile through its own weight.

1943

Potato market boycott

If the people of Galway boycotted the potato market in Galway for a few weeks, as was done in Sligo during the last great war, then the price would soon fall to a figure that the ordinary man could afford. This was one of the suggestions made to our representative who was making special inquiries into the exorbitant cost of potatoes at Galway market.

One man made the suggestion that the L.S.F. should be put on duty in the market to ensure that the fixed price of 1s. 8d. a stone would not be exceeded.

Potatoes went as high as 3s. a stone in Galway on Saturday. Many housewives who went to the market went home without any as they could not afford to pay the price demanded.

One lady told our representative that she would rather starve than pay the price asked, and a well-known Galway tradesman said that he had not eaten a potato for two weeks, nor would he eat any until they came down to a reasonable price.

Custard powder

Galway County Council prosecuted John Collins, Dunmore, for selling a packet of custard powder which was not of the nature, substance and quality demanded by the purchaser. Collins said that he sold the packet as he got it from the wholesalers.

Guard Keeffe, Food and Drugs Inspector, said that the custard powder was made from war flour instead of cornflour. The District Justice said that the analyst’s fee of 42s. seemed a lot. Really Collins was not to blame for selling the powder. He dismissed the case on Collins agreeing to pay £1 expenses.

Connacht Tribune

Gardaí in Galway operating with fewer patrol cars

Published

on

Five large Garda stations in County Galway are operating with fewer Garda vehicles now than two years ago – leading to a call for the local fleet to be restored to 2020 levels.

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has confirmed to Galway West TD Noel Grealish that the Garda fleet in the Galway Garda Division stands at 116 as of October of this year.

That’s greater than any of the years from 2012 to 2019, but it represents a reduction on the Garda fleet when compared with 2020 and 2021 figures.

Galway Gardaí had a dozen fewer vehicles this year, compared with 2020. There are 13 fewer patrol cars, down from 96 to 83; there was no change in the number of vans and motorcycles, and the division acquired one extra 4×4.

Garda stations in Ballinasloe, Loughrea, Tuam, Clifden and Salthill have all lost patrol cars in the past 24 months, according to the official figures.

Independent Deputy Grealish has demanded a restoration of the Garda fleet in Galway to 2020 levels.

“Gardaí have a demanding enough job to do, but it makes that important work even more difficult if they are not allocated the proper resources,” Deputy Grealish said.

“A reduction of twelve vehicles in less than two years across the Galway Division, down from 128 at the end of 2020 to 116 in October this year, is concerning.

“I have asked the Minister for Justice to explain why this has happened, that the number of vehicles in the Galway Division has fallen by ten per cent, when nationally the total fleet actually increased by 6%. I am demanding that they at the very least be restored to their 2020 levels,” he said.

Deputy Grealish pointed out that almost all areas of the county had suffered a reduction in Garda vehicles since the beginning of last year.  Ballinasloe currently has six vehicles, a reduction of two since the end of 2020; Clifden also has six, down one; Loughrea was down three to eleven; Salthill was down three to ten; the biggest reduction in Garda vehicles was in the Tuam area down five to twelve.

Galway City’s fleet increased by two vehicles, for a total of 71.

Minister McEntee said that the Garda Commissioner Drew Harris was responsible for the administration and management of An Garda Síochána, including the purchase, allocation, and effective and efficient use of Garda vehicles.

“As Minister, I have no direct role in these matters. I am assured, however, that Garda management keeps the distribution of resources under continual review to ensure their optimum use in light of identified operational needs and emerging crime trends,” she added.

Galway City Councillor Donal Lyons (Ind) last month complained that the number of vehicles available to Gardaí in Salthill and Knocknacarra was insufficient.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Progress stalls on setting up Eating Disorder Community Health Team

Published

on

Despite an increasing number of young people experiencing eating disorders, a new specialist community team has yet to be set up in Galway well over a year after it was announced.

The delay is mainly due to a difficulty recruiting a consultant psychiatrist to lead the team, this week’s HSE West Regional Health Forum meeting was told.

Councillor John Connolly (FF) queried the progress on the new Eating Disorder Community Health Team within the Child Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) after the HSE revealed in September 2021 that it would be set up in response to the hike in youths presenting for treatment.

Chief Officer of HSE Community Healthcare West, Breda Crehan-Roche, said interviews had been conducted to recruit a clinical lead, but so far none had been appointed. Six other staff had been appointed and these had been assigned to existing teams within CAMHS while a psychiatrist could come on board to manage the team.

“We have difficulty getting locum cover. Interviews were held. It’s a priority. We are doing a running recruitment process,” she told this month’s meeting.

It took between six and nine months to appoint a person to such a senior post.

“There is a lot of work in specialist intervention in the eating disorders team.”

She admitted that there were no records of how much of an increase there had been in referrals to CAMHS Galway for youths troubled by an eating disorder as all records were on paper rather than on computer.

“I can’t ask clinicians and therapists to pull together manual figures,” she stated. But the indication from staff on the ground was that there had been a downward trend in referrals post-Covid.

There was a move to keeping digital records by the middle of next year.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Retired Bishop of Galway Martin Drennan dies aged 78

Published

on

Retired Bishop of Galway Martin Drennan has passed away at the age of 78.

Born in Kilkenny in 1944, Bishop Drennan studied for the priesthood at St Patrick’s College, Maynooth from where he was ordained in 1968

As a priest, the then Fr Drennan served as curate in both St. Mary’s Cathedral Parish in Kilkenny and then in Ballycallan.

From 1975 he taught Sacred Scripture at St. Kieran’s College, returning to Rome in 1980 to become Spiritual Director at the Irish College there for the next five years.

When Fr. Martin again returned home he became a Lecturer in Sacred Scripture at St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth where he continued to teach until his appointment as Auxiliary Bishop of Dublin in 1997.

Following the retirement of Bishop James McLoughlin, Bishop Drennan was chosen as Bishop of Galway and Kilmacduagh and Apostolic Administrator of Kilfenora and was installed on 3rd July 2005 in Galway Cathedral serving to his retirement in 2016.

A brief statement released by the Diocese of Galway this afternoon confirmed his passing and offered their sympathies to Bishop Drennan’s family and all those who mourn his loss.

Funeral arrangements for the late Bishop Drennan will be announced later

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending