Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Galway In Days Gone By

Published

on

The queue gathers early outside Anthony Ryan’s on Shop Street for the first day of the New Years' sale in 1978.

1922

Fix it yourself

The monthly meeting of Tuam District Council was held on Saturday. Present: Mr. Dolly (Presiding), Messrs. P. King, J. Brennan, T. Costello, J. Monahan, A. B. O’Connor, M. Devine, P. Kirrane, P. McHugh, P. J. Glynn, M. O’Donnell, J. Kyne, P. Muldowney, G. Guy, M. Higgins and M. Quinn.

Mr. Brennan proposed his motion that tenants of labourers’ cottages do repairs to their cottages at their own expense. He stated that the council expended a lot on repairs to cottages, and rather than increase the rents he suggested the tenants should do the repairs.

Mr. Muldowney: Is it Legal? – Clerk: There is an agreement with each tenant wherein the council agree to do the repairs. Mr. O’Donnell seconded the motion, and on being put to the meeting it was declared carried by a majority.

Disease outbreaks

Dr. Costello reported there were some cases of diphtheria during the month in different parts of the district. It was a mild type.

There were some cases of scarlatina also of a mild type, but so far it has not become epidemic. All cases were recovered without medical aid.

Left to the Dáil

A motion calling for the ratification of the Peace Treaty was proposed, but after a little discussion it was decided not to take any action as the members were of the opinion the best course of action was to leave the matter entirely to Dáil Éireann to decide.

Reference was made to the “Peace Resolution” sent from the County Council some time ago, which turned out to be an unwise one.

Mr. Kirrane said the resolution referred to was not passed by a properly constituted meeting of the County Council, as there was not a quorum present.

Mr. O’Donnell said they would stand by Dáil Éireann’s discretion as they did in the past, but the difficulty was that the Dáil was divided, and it was hard to know what to do.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Connacht Tribune

Social media ban for revenge porn accused

Published

on

A 26-year-old man has been barred from using all social media platforms since being charged with harassing his former girlfriend by allegedly posting sexually explicit photos of her online along with links to her Snapchat account.

It is the first prosecution of its type relating to image-based abuse, more commonly referred to as ‘revenge porn’ to come before the courts in Galway.

Judge Mary Fahy imposed restrictions, prohibiting the publication of the man’s identity when he was first brought in custody before Galway District Court last October.

This week, she asked Sergeant Christy Burke, prosecuting, why had she imposed the restrictions at the time. He reminded her she had imposed the restrictions then as the case involved sexually explicit material.

Garda Paraic Moran gave evidence in October of having arrested and charged the man with harassing his former girlfriend on a date unknown between August 1, 2015 and July 10, 2019, contrary to Section 10 (1) and (6) of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997.

The accused made no reply when the charge was put to him at the time.

The Director of Public Prosecutions directed the charge could only be dealt with at District Court level if the man entered a guilty plea.

Judge Fahy asked Garda Moran for an outline of the allegations made against the accused so she could decide on whether or not to deal with the case in her court should he plead guilty.

Garda Moran said the man had been in a relationship with the complainant and it was alleged that sometime after they broke up, she was contacted by a couple whom she didn’t know, inviting her to meet them for sex.

As a result of this encounter, the woman discovered intimate photographs of her were circulating on the internet.

She had sent the photos to the accused when they were together and it was alleged, Garda Moran said, that after the relationship ended the accused uploaded the photos to the internet on several occasions with links to the complainant’s Facebook Snapchat account.

Judge Fahy accepted jurisdiction in October to hear the case in her court and she made an order for prosecution statements to be sent to defence solicitor, Brian Gilmartin’s office and for the accused to come to court this week and elect to either plead guilty or not guilty to the charge.

Sgt Browne informed the court this week the statements had inadvertently not yet been sent to Mr Gilmartin but they would be now.

Judge Fahy remanded the accused on continuing bail to appear back before the court in March and elect then whether he wanted to plead guilty or not guilty.

Bail was granted in October subject to conditions sought by Gardai that he have no contact with the complainant or any witnesses, by any means to include social media; continue to reside at his rental address in the city and notify Gardai of any change of address within 48 hours; sign on every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at Garda HQ at Murrough, Renmore; observe a nightly curfew between 10p.m. and 6a.m.; be of good behaviour and remain of sober habits; and provide a mobile phone number to Gardai and answer his phone to them at all times.

Judge Fahy added a further condition at the time prohibiting the man from accessing Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, TikTok and all other social media platforms, pending completion of the case.

She awarded him free legal aid and also advised him that if he broke any of the bail conditions it was likely he would end up in custody, due to the seriousness of the charge he was facing.

 

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Gort set for transformation under regeneration plans

Published

on

Gort...set for major revitalisation.

The revitalisation of the town of Gort received another major shot in the arm last week when it was one of 27 landmark projects to share in the latest €21.5 million Rural Regeneration Development Fund.

The Gort Inse Guaire project received €798,000 towards the re-design of the Market Square and town centre streets, as well as reinvigorating the Canon Quinn Park greenspace in the town centre.

The Gorgeous Gort Forum – the representative body for all local community groups, clubs and organisations which drove this application – welcomed ‘the wonderful news’.

“We thank the Minister for approving funding for our town, and all the team in Galway County Council who we supported in developing and submitting this application and the local representatives who supported this application.

“We also thank the over 40 organisations, clubs and groups in our community, who we represent, that provided invaluable letters of support’, said Gorgeous Gort Forum chairperson Justin McDermott.

The Forum supported Galway County Council in the development and submission of this application.  This included organising letters of support from over 40 various clubs, organisations, and groups in Gort which they represent.

The group also facilitated meetings between Galway County Council and key community stakeholders, and worked with local elected representatives, including Minister Anne Rabbitte, Sean Canny TD, Ciaran Cannon TD and local councillors including Joe Byrne, PJ Murphy, and Geraldine Donoghue, to lobby the minister on behalf of the community.

The news was warmly welcomed from all fronts, with local TD Ciaran Cannon describing it as an ambitious investment in Gort, building on a very strong community spirit in the town.

And his fellow Galway East TD Sean Canney particularly welcomed the work on Canon Quinn Park, which he described as ‘an underutilised yet vital greenspace within the centre of the town’.

“In order to capitalise on this invaluable resource, the park requires diversification and redesign to improve usages, discourage anti-social behaviour and provide a green lung for the town centre,” he said.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Award-winning Galway Traveller Movement reveals impact of Covid on its education programme

Published

on

Galway Traveller Movement Education Project Worker Anne Marie Stokes (front) with (from left) Deirdre Mortell, CEO Rethink Ireland; Declan Black, Managing Partner, Mason Hayes & Curran LLP and Minister Joe O’Brien at the announcement of the €1.2m Engage & Educate Fund awardees.

The Galway Traveller Movement has revealed the impact Covid-19 has had on its efforts to ensure access to education for all – with a lack of technology making it particularly difficult to accommodate home schooling.

GTM’s Education Coordinator Aisling Egan said that the pandemic added to the challenges for the group, and for Traveller families generally who face unique barriers with literacy and language issues.

“We linked in with these families, supplied the technology needed and offered any help that we possibly could in supporting them through the pandemic”, said Aisling.

“We’re only now seeing the huge disadvantage that COVID-19 has created for Traveller children – but with projects like ours in place, hopefully we can be there to deal with those issues at the very early stages and it doesn’t have a negative impact on the rest of their school experience,” she added.

The GTM was last week announced as one of the recipients of the €1.2m Engage & Educate Fund – one of five organisations receiving grants and non-financial supports packages in the largest ever financial pot since the project began.

The Galway Traveller Movement’s education programme has worked with over 100 children in Galway City and County since its establishment.

GTM provides assistance to families who have had negative experiences in school, breaking the cycle of community members leaving school and empowering Travellers to progress with their education and succeed.

The project aims to reach potential early-school leavers at a primary and post-primary level.

The project operates creative and culturally specific workshops in consultation with Traveller youth, that build self-esteem and belonging.

The members also work with policymakers locally and nationally to influence change with the view to ensuring equality outcomes for the Traveller community.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending