Date Published: 21-Nov-2012
Compliant Galway homeowners who feel they have received notification of outstanding household charge levies in error are urged to contact the central bureau or the local authority as soon as possible.
Finance Chief at Galway County Council Ger Mullarkey says a new round of reminder letters were sent out last week and admitted some inconsistencies do exist in the database.
He says this has resulted in some letters being sent in error to householders who have already paid the 100 euro levy.
66 percent of householders around the county have already paid the charge, however officials fear non-compliance in paying the levy by the remaining 34 percent may result in further cuts to the local government fund of up to 140 thousand euro.
Environment Minister Phil Hogan has already imposed a cut to the county’s local government fund of 780 thousand euro.
Speaking on Galway Talks, Head of Finance at Galway County Council Ger Mullarkey says anyone who received a reminder letter in error should advise the bureau by providing proof of payment.
He also apologised for any inconvenience caused by inconsistencies in the national LGMA database
Galway County VEC Chief takes High Court case
Date Published: 07-May-2013
The High Court is hearing arguments from the state in an action brought by two VEC bosses who are challenging the loss of an annual allowance worth 12 and a half thousand euro.
Former president of the GAA Joe McDonagh who’s the CEO of County Galway VEC and Dr Katie Sweeney, CEO of Mayo VEC, say a special Transport Liaison Officers Allowance should not have been cut, even though that part of their role no longer operates.
Lawyers for the Department of Education deny the allowance is part of their pay.
The case is in the context of planned changes within the VEC system under the Croke Park agreement.
Planning go ahead for community facility in Doughiska
Date Published: 09-May-2013
A hotel in the city is to be changed into a community facility.
Planning permission has been granted to DRA Community Development Company Limited to redevelop the ‘Racing Lodge Hotel’ in Doughiska.
It’s planned to use the building for community, educational and pastoral use.
Planners have attached 4 conditions to the development, including the stipulation that all uses at the building be on a not-for-profit basis.
Galway call for Transport Minister to intervene in bus strike
Date Published: 13-May-2013
City Councillor Michael Crowe is calling on the Transport Minister Leo Vradkar to urgently intervene to end strike action by Bus Eireann in Galway.
Major travel disruption is expected in Galway and nationwide as the national strike enters its second day.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing their picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city.
It’s understood up to 80 Galway workers took part in the picket on rotational rosters yesterday.
Speaking on Galway Talks, City Cllr Michael Crowe said Minister Vradkar needs to take urgent action to intervene so that transport services can be restored.