Galway Bay fm newsroom – A group of Galway hauliers is to hold a picket outside the Roadstone Wood Limited base at Two Mile Ditch next month in a dispute over pay rates.
The group has given the firm notice of its intention to withdraw services from Monday March 10th.
The tipper truck operators say they agreed a reduction in rates of between 5 and 15% in late 2009, on the basis that it was a short-term measure to be in place for six to 12 months.
However, the group has been negotatiating an increase for two years now and says current rates are no longer viable due to significant fuel increases.
Hauliers at other locations including Clare, Kerry and Cork have taken similar action to withdraw services from the firm over recent weeks.
Roadstone Wood Limited has so far declined to comment when contacted by Galway Bay fm news.
Galway haulier representative Stan Mortimer says the decison to withdraw services was not taken lightly.
Non-urgent elective surgeries cancelled at UHG as overcrowding continues
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Some non-urgent elective surgeries are being cancelled at UHG in a bid to tackle severe overcrowding at the city hospital.
It follows the issuing of a warning from the Saolta Hospital Group that the emergency department is extremely busy and there is ongoing pressure on bed availability.
General Manager at UHG, Chris Kane, says over 500 people presented at the hospital on Monday and Tuesday.
She says the overcrowding situation is very serious, particularly in relation to the ED, the Surgical Unit and the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.
Members of the public are urged to only attend the hospital in the case of emergency, and contact their GP or out-of-hours service if their health problem is not urgent.
Saolta is also reminding the public that the Injury Unit at Roscommon University Hospital is open from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, to treat adults and children over 5.
Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Chris Kane said the current level of patients presenting is extremely high and “unusual” for this time of year.
She also noted there’s also been a rise in patients being treated for Covid-19, including in the ICU.
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news.
Walk-in vaccination centres to open at Ballybrit and Clifden this weekend
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Walk-in vaccination centres are to be in operation in Ballybrit and Clifden from this weekend.
The HSE has revealed the details of the locations of all the walk-in vaccination centres on their website.
The Clifden satellite vaccination base will be open for walk-ins at Clifden Community School and the Galway Racecourse base will also take walk-ins.
A number will open nationwide this weekend for those over the age of 16.
It comes as 70% of the adult population is now fully vaccinated against Covid 19 and 85 per cent have received their first dose.
Health Minister, Stephen Donnelly, says those attending do not need an appointment.
Continued drop in number of Galway PUP claimants
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Over 500 less Galway claimants received the pandemic unemployment payment this week.
The number of people on the State support nationally has dropped below 200,000 for the first time.
192 thousand people are due to get it this week – the lowest number since it was introduced in March 2020.
10,159 people will receive the payment in Galway.
Economics lecturer in UCC, Seamus Coffey, says the economy is recovering well.