Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Sports

Galway FC heading down south

Published

on

Galway FC's Stephen Walsh and Longford Town's Pat Sullivan in action during last Friday night's First Division tie at Eamonn Deacy Park. Photo: Joe O'Shaughnessy.

DEFENDER Martin Conneely is a major injury doubt for Galway FC ahead of their SSE Airtricity League First Division clash away to Waterford in the RSC this evening, Friday (7:45pm).

Conneely was forced to withdraw from the action in the 61st minute in Galway FC’s 3-0 defeat to Longford Town and manager Tommy Dunne confirms that the 24-year-old, who has netted two league goals already this season, is a concern due to an Achilles tendon injury.

Galway FC are already without 18-year-old striker Ryan Manning after he sustained a hairline fracture of the wrist in the 1-0 victory over Wexford Youths three weeks ago and Dunne is not expecting Manning to return to action for some time yet.

That said, the club will be buoyed by the arrival of another front man, Enda Curran, from Derry City this week. If Galway native Curran can return to the form he showed when fielding in this Division with Salthill Devon, in particular, he will be a serious addition to FC’s set up.

Having also lined out for Galway United and Mervue United earlier in his career, last season Curran, who scored twice in a dozen appearances for Derry in the first half of 2014, played a key role in helping Athlone Town to secure promotion to the top flight at the end of last season.

“Yes, we have brought in Enda,” says Dunne. “He was available to us once the window opened on July 1. He is a good lad. He seems to have scored goals at this level before and he was up in Derry City for a while. We are now hoping he can settle in and get going fairly sharpish.”

With Galway FC failing to find the net against Longford – the loss ending an eight-game unbeaten run – Dunne is hoping that this was just a blimp. “At the start of the season we found it difficult to get goals and Friday night was the first time we hadn’t score for a while. So, we have to get back into the scoring vein again in all departments.”

At any rate, he agrees Galway FC must respond positivity to last weekend’s defeat. “There needs to be [a response]. We have to try to get a result in Waterford, which is a difficult place to go anyway. If we get a result in Waterford, and with Shels and Longford playing each other this weekend, it might be an opportunity to gain ground on one of them.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

CITY TRIBUNE

The serious stuff starts for Galway in clash with Mayo

Published

on

Galway's Shane Walsh and Lee Keegan of Mayo who won't be featuring at MacHale Park on Saturday evening. Walsh is taking a short break, while Keegan has retired after a great career.

By Darren Kelly

EVEN though it’s their third game of the year, the 2023 season really kicks off for Galway’s senior footballers on Saturday at MacHale Park, Castlebar (7:30pm) when they begin their National League campaign under lights against rivals Mayo.

It comes just two weeks after the Green and Red scored a semi-final victory over the Tribesmen (2-18 to 3-12) on their way to a first FBD League title since 2012.  But the stakes will be much higher for this one.

First, Galway are back in the top flight after earning promotion along with Roscommon last year, and will be determined to stay among the league’s elite.

But with a new-look championship coming up in April, including a round-robin All-Ireland series, league positions will be vital for seeding for any team not claiming their provincial title (Galway will meet Mayo in the Connacht semi-final, if the latter overcome Roscommon).

“It has been the plum draw for us,” stated Galway manager Padraic Joyce during the week. “The one we focused on since we went back training in November. It’s going to be a big occasion, big crowd expected and it’s a battle we’re looking forward to.”

It’s six months since Galway went down to Kerry in the All-Ireland Final but Joyce will hope to have most of his contingent available. Liam Silke is abroad while Kieran Molloy (cruciate) is back in rehab but any return for him won’t happen before the championship. Shane Walsh definitely won’t be involved due to a long club season with Dublin’s Kilmacud Crokes.

Also, the Galway management have up to 15 players currently involved in the Sigerson Cup. For example, Galway captain Seán Kelly is back in the panel after Maigh Cuilinn’s club campaign brought them to an All-Ireland semi-final. But that doesn’t mean he’ll line out on Saturday night.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Flooring Porter’s Cheltenham Festival hat-trick bid depends on results of X-ray

Published

on

Killimordaly's Kerril Creaven, a member of the winning syndicate, leads Flooring Porter and jockey Danny Mullins back into the winners’ enclosure after retaining his Stayers' Hurdle crown at last year's Cheltenham Festival.

DUAL Stayers’ Hurdle winner at the Cheltenham National Hunt Festival, Flooring Porter faces a race against time to defend his crown in March.

The popular eight-year-old has suffered a setback which could scuttle his chances of emulating the feat of Inglis Drever in being crowned the champion staying hurdler for a third time.

Flooring Porter’s trainer Gavin Cromwell sent the horse’s fans into a tailspin last week when revealing another successful trip to the Cotswolds was in jeopardy.

Cromwell didn’t reveal the nature of the problem, but it is believed to surround a minor back injury which has brought a halt to the horse’s regular preparatory work on the gallops.

His participation at the big National Hunt Festival could hinge on the result of an X-ray late next week as the Seán Murphy bred gelding is currently restricted to a daily routine on the horse walker and swimming.

Flooring Porter had produced a somewhat underwhelming effort in the Christmas Hurdle at Leopardstown in December – a race he had won in 2021 on his way to a first Stayers’ Hurdle crown – when only finishing fourth behind new big-race favourite Home By The Lee.

The outcome of that race resulted in a five-day ban for jockey Danny Mullins after he was adjudged by the stewards not to have obtained the best possible placing – Flooring Porter being caught on the line for third place by Meet and Greet after Mullins eased his mount in the final 25 yards.

It is now believed that the horse’s back issue, which only came to light on veterinary examination a couple of weeks ago, may have contributed to Flooring Porter not setting the relentless gallop at Leopardstown his fans have become accustomed to.

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Uphill battle faces Connacht in wake of shocking display

Published

on

Prop Finlay Bealham whose three try haul wasn't enough to save Connacht from a dismal loss to Newcastle Falcons in the European Challenge Cup at Kingston Park on Saturday.

Newcastle Falcons 35

Connacht 21

By JOHN FALLON AT KINGSTON PARK

IRISH coach Andy Farrell said that Mack Hansen’s ability to cover full-back as well as the wings will make him the sort of player who will be invaluable for the World Cup in France later this year.

And Farrell, speaking at the launch of the Six Nations in London on Monday, also said he was not concerned about the lack of game-time Bundee Aki has had for Connacht this season.

Aki was again absent when Connacht blew a glorious chance of staying in Ireland all the way to the conclusion of this season’s Challenge Cup with an error-ridden performance being punished by a Newcastle side already out of contention prior to Saturday’s tie at Kingston Park, having lost all three games in the competition.

Hansen again played at full-back for Connacht and while he too wasn’t immune to the plethora of mistakes which destroyed their hopes, the Irish coach sees him as a vital cog.

“We’ve put him there a few times ourselves, we know there’s talent there in that type of position and that’s exactly what the difference is between an international side and a club side. With a club side, you’ve got 50 players training all the time.

“In a club side, it tends to be ‘he’s the best in that position, he’s the second best in that position and he’s the third best’ whereas with the international side, when you fast forward, you can only pick 33 in the World Cup, it becomes pretty good that your number two in that position can play two or three positions and your number three in that position can play three or four positions. The likes of Mack being able to do that is pretty important for us.”

For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.

Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App

Download the Connacht Tribune Digital Edition App to access to Galway’s best-selling newspaper.

Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Or purchase the Digital Edition for PC, Mac or Laptop from Pagesuite  HERE.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending