Galway In Days Gone By

Castlegar junior musicians who took part in Scoraíocht at Renmore Hall in May 1975. From left: Michael O’Donnell, Sean Brennan, Edel O’Donnell, James Hanley and Mark O’Donnell.
Castlegar junior musicians who took part in Scoraíocht at Renmore Hall in May 1975. From left: Michael O’Donnell, Sean Brennan, Edel O’Donnell, James Hanley and Mark O’Donnell.


Shooting outrage

A daring shooting outrage is reported from the Headford district, where, on Sunday morning, Mr. J.G. Alcorn, J.P., of Kilroe House, was fired at. Accompanied by a man named Burke, Mr. Alcorn was driving to 11 o’clock Mass at Currandulla, when, at a sharp turn in the road, between Balrobuck Hill and the Curragh, shots were discharged at him from behind a wall by two disguised men.

A number of pellets lodged in his neck and side, but fortunately, Mr. Alcorn was wearing a heavy coat at the time, and he was able to continue on his way to attend Mass. He was subsequently medically treated, and a number of pellets were extracted.

A widow and her two sons, who were formerly acting as herds for Mr Alcorn, were under notice of eviction from him. A relative of these was arrested in connection with the matter, but was afterwards discharged.

Taking the pledge

At Galway Petty Sessions, Margaret Joyce was summoned for drunkenness and disorderly conduct at the Claddagh. The defendant had been drinking for the past month and was giving a great deal of trouble.

Chairman: It costs a great deal of money to get drunk now.

Sergt. McGlynn: It does, your worship.

Chairman: I don’t suggest anything, of course, sergeant (laughter).

Defendant produced a pledge card, showing that she had taken the pledge for 12 months. The case was adjourned for three months, and the defendant cautioned that if she got drunk again she would be imprisoned for a month.

Alarming fire

An alarming outbreak of fire occurred on Wednesday night in a store in Egan’s lane, Tuam, belonging to Mr. M. Cunningham, motor and cycle agent. The store is situated in one of the most thickly-populated parts of the town, and had the fire not been noticed in time, and got under control, there would have been grave danger of its spreading to adjacent premises. A quantity of hay and turf was destroyed. The damage done was not considerable.


Bogus hold-up

James O’Callaghan, of no fixed address, who was stated to have tied himself up and pretended that he had been robbed by armed men and, on another occasion, to have thrown himself into a ditch and complained that he had been knocked down by a motor (a civil bill for damages being actually issued by a solicitor whom he had deceived), was sentenced by Judge Wyse Power at Galway Circuit Court to nine months’ imprisonment on each of four counts of false pretences and causing a public mischief, the sentences to run concurrently.

Ruins coming down

The County Manager, Mr. C.I. O’Flynn, told Ald. Owens at the quarterly meeting of the Galway Corporation on Thursday, that his Lordship, the Most Rev. Dr. Browne, had ordered the demolition of the old house near the fowl market in Lombard Street and he could not agree to have the vacant plot between that place and O’Brien’s Bridge utilised as a market place while demolition work was in progress. His Lordship had other ideas about the utilisation of the place which had cost his Lordship about £6,000.

Wrong date

Owing to a wrong date in the notices convening the meeting, Galway Corporation will have to give a “repeat performance” of last Thursday’s meeting. This clerical error was responsible for the fact that only four of the twelve members – a bare quorum – attended the meeting last week. The absentees believed that the meeting was to be held on Thursday of this week.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.