Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Galway companies urged to focus on wellbeing

Published

on

Galway’s workforce wants to get healthier and they believe their employers can play a role in helping them according to new national research commissioned by the Nutrition and Health Foundation (NHF).

Two thirds (65%) of employees nationally recognise they need to consume healthier food and drinks. However, just 15 percent said their employers provide healthy food choices in company canteens or vending machines.

Only one third of employees take the recommended weekly level of exercise for a healthy lifestyle, while four in ten office-bound workers say they are not physically active at all during their working day. One fifth (21%) of inactive workers cite the overall lack of facilities with one in ten (11%) highlighting the lack of shower facilities.

The nationwide survey of employees was undertaken to mark the announcement of Ireland’s first Workplace Wellbeing Day, which will take place on Friday, March 27..  National Workplace Wellbeing Day is supported by Ibec.

Healthy workplaces and workforces have also been identified as a priority area under Healthy Ireland, the national framework to improve health and wellbeing across the population. The nationwide campaign aims to help improve employee health through promoting effective wellbeing initiatives targeted at better nutrition and physical activity in workplaces around Ireland.

Companies in Galway are being asked to put a special focus on wellbeing on the day through promoting existing and new initiatives available in their workplace as well as hosting special events for staff.  Further details of how Galway companies can get involved are available at www.nutritionandhealth.ie

Launching Workplace Wellbeing Day 2015, Danny McCoy, CEO, Ibec said “Employee wellbeing is a high priority for companies because of its positive impact on productivity and absenteeism.  With 11 million days lost through absenteeism every year at a cost of €1.5bn, improving employee wellbeing is in everyone’s best interest.

“This campaign is about employers looking at what they are doing in this area already, identifying what they’re doing well, promoting it amongst employees and sharing it with other companies. Equally importantly, is the identification of where improvements can be made, and making them too,” he said.

CITY TRIBUNE

Woman sustains serious injuries after being struck by firework in Eyre Square

Published

on

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses after a young woman was struck in the face by a firework in Eyre Square in the city overnight.

It happened shortly after midnight and gardai say it’s understood the firework had been launched from close to the Tourist Information Kiosk.

The young woman suffered serious injuries and was hospitalised as a result.

Gardaí understand there was a large group of people in Eyre Square at the time and are now asking that any person who may have witnessed the incident make contact with the investigating team.

In particular Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have video footage of the incident, either on mobile phone, CCTV or dash-cam to make contact with them.

This incident comes just days after a policing committee meeting was told of increasing concern about anti social behaviour around Eyre Square.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Garda chief suggests closing Eyre Square to curb anti-social behaviour

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Closing Eyre Square at night-time was among the radical suggestions put forward by Galway’s top Garda this week – in response to claims that the city centre’s famous landmark had become a ‘no-go area’ after dark.

It comes as Gardaí confirmed that since January they issued almost 500 fines for breaches of the city’s alcohol bylaws, which prohibit the consumption of alcohol in public spaces.

Responding to claims that people were afraid to visit parts of the city centre at night due to anti-social behaviour, Chief Superintendent Tom Curley said that the authorities might have to look at closing Eyre Square at certain times.

Chief Supt Curley also said that improved lighting and better CCTV were other tools that could be used to deter anti-social behaviour and to detect crime in the city centre.

“I’d need another five officers in there – and I haven’t got them,” said Chief Supt Curley of the requirement for more Gardaí on patrol in Eyre Square.

He was responding to a charge by former mayor of Galway, Councillor Frank Fahy, who said Eyre Square was dangerous at night. “It’s a no-go area,” he said at a City Joint Policing Committee (JPC) meeting this week.

Cllr Fahy said that the illegal activity and anti-social behaviour in the city centre was a product of the Covid-19 pandemic and people socialising outdoors. Eyre Square was safe pre-Covid, he said.

In a written reply to the JPC, Chief Supt Curley said that anti-social behaviour issues had been ‘de-escalated’ along the city’s canals, Woodquay and Spanish Arch ‘as a result of extra Garda patrols’.

“The resulting consequences have led to crowd movement from these areas (and they) are now congregating at Eyre Square. Garda attention is concentrated on Eyre Square, however the return of students and the continued restrictions has led to increased numbers,” he said.

(Photo: a scene from Eyre Square at night this week taken from a video circulated on social media)

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Tourists duped in Galway City rental accommodation scam

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Gardaí have issued another ‘beware’ warning in relation to scammers offering fictitious properties to rent in the city area.

The advice comes after a report of a several separate tourists from overseas calling to a house in Shantalla over recent weeks, thinking that they had booked rental accommodation.

It is understood that the fake rental offer had been made through a booking website, but it turned out to be a scam with the tourists having ‘parted’ weeks earlier with a deposit of several hundred euro.

Galway Garda Crime Prevention Officer, Sergeant Michael Walsh, said that such rental scams were an ongoing reality in relation to the accommodation sector, especially in cities like Galway with huge rental markets for long-term and short-term lets.

He said that the first pieces of advice for anyone seeking to rent a property was to only do business with an established bona-fide rental agency and to always meet the prospective landlord in the accommodation to be rented.

Sgt Walsh said that the scammers also tended to be more active at times of the year when accommodation was in major demand as in the late-Summer/early-Autumn period as students returned to third level colleges.

This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending