Galway Bay fm newsroom – The proposal for a bypass of Galway city is due to progress in the next few weeks.
At a meeting of the city council, Chief Executive Brendan McGrath said that fast-tracking the project is vital for the future of the city.
He told councillors that the next stage will be the formal sign-off from the government to underwrite the cost of the 600 million euro road development.
The CEO says Transport Infrastructure Ireland will then give it the green light before a Compulsory Purchase Order application is made to An Bord Pleanala.
It’s estimated around 40 homes are likely to be demolished if the plan goes ahead.
Previously, if approved, the project was estimated to be shovel ready by 2021 and expected to reach completion before 2025.
Call for Galway sports clubs to apply for funding under Capital Grant Scheme
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Sports clubs in Galway are being urged to apply for funding under the Government’s new €40 million Sports Capital and Equipment Programme.
The funding is being administered by the Department of Sport and applications can be made online from Friday December 11th until the 12th of February 2021.
The programme provides funding for infrastructure works such as sports pitches, tracks, floodlighting and any other projects that will increase participation in sports or improve performance.
To make an application clubs must be registered on the Department system and full details of the grant programme, including how to apply, are available on gov.ie/sportscapital.
Meanwhile, the scheme will prioritise applications from disadvantaged areas and those working towards increasing participation including for female and disabled users.
Labour Party City Councillor Niall McNelis is urging local sports clubs to begin preparing their applications as soon as possible.
He says it’s vital clubs get the support they need at this difficult time.
City Council approves funding for changing places facility in budget 2021
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway City Council has approved funding for the installation of a ‘changing places’ facility in budget 2021.
€50,000 has been allocated for the facility which will be the first of it’s kind in Galway, with eight already in operation in Dublin.
The facility planned for Salthill is larger than a standard accessible toilet – providing extra floor space and additional equipment such as an adult size changing bench.
Fine Gael Councillor Clodagh Higgins first proposed the introduction of the changing places equipment in December 2019.
She says the facility will be a game changer for people with complex needs.
Meanwhile, Fianna Fail Councillor Alan Cheevers has argued aspects of the budget could have been spent more wisely – adding he feels the east side of the city has not been adequately considered for discretionary funding.
Councillor Cheevers has also taken issue with the funding which was allocated for a sound system upgrade a St Nicholas’s Church.
He told Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, he feels the funds weren’t distributed evenly….
Galway records spike in cases as Level 5 lifts
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Galway has recorded a spike in coronavirus cases as the country begins its exit from Level 5 today.
22 new cases were notified for Galway in last evening’s figures, the third highest nationwide with 108 in Dublin and 30 in Limerick.
If follows a period of relatively low case numbers in Galway with 128 confirmed over the last fortnight.
The city and county have recorded 2,642 cases of the virus to date.
Health experts have urged the public to stay within county and not to mix with other households.
Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan says people should avoid busy areas where there’s a risk of COVID-19 spreading.