Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Galway champions bid to reach All-Ireland final at the fourth time of asking

Published

on

Kilkerrin-Clonberne’s Claire Dunleavey, in action against Claregalway's Charlette Cooney, will be hoping that the Galway champions can come through Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final against Foxrock-Cabinteely.

By Pádraic Ó Ciardha

HAVING dominated the championship in Galway and shown their class at provincial level, the next step for the Kilkerrin-Clonberne ladies football team is to do it on the national stage and they have a big opportunity to do so this weekend. Dublin powerhouse Foxrock-Cabinteely come to Clonberne Sportsfield this Sunday (2pm) as they and the home side go head-to-head for a spot in the All-Ireland final.

This is the fourth time Kilkerrin-Clonberne have reached the semi-final stage in recent years, but they are still waiting to make the breakthrough and reach the All-Ireland final. They suffered narrow defeats to Termon of Donegal and Mourneabbey of Cork in 2014 and ‘15 respectively before Mourneabbey again got the better of the Galway champions last year on their way to the All-Ireland title.

Kilkerrin-Clonberne will be determined to take their chance this time, however, and they are certainly in good form heading into this weekend. Kevin Reidy’s side continued their dominance locally, winning a seventh successive county title in September before cruising to another Connacht crown when they made light work of Roscommon champions Kilbride two weeks ago.

The north Galway side’s main test so far came when they took on Cora Staunton’s Carnacon in the provincial semi-final but Kilkerrin-Clonberne were again too strong for their opponents, running out 4-9 to 2-5 winners. It’s saying something that one of their toughest games still resulted in a ten point victory, but the Kilkerrin-Clonberne manager insists that there have been lessons to take from all their games in this campaign.

“Every game we’ve played this year, we’ve learned something from it,” says Reidy. “The last day playing Kilbride, they were putting 15 behind the ball at times and asking questions of us. We still managed to score 3-21 so we’d be happy with that. At times against Carnacon, we were under pressure but we did well in defence and were decent enough in attack as well.”

That so few teams can put it up to this Kilkerrin-Clonberne side only speaks to their quality. They boast no fewer than four 2019 All Star nominees with goalkeeper Lisa Murphy, defender Nicola Ward, Louise Ward at midfield and Olivia Divilly in attack all receiving recognition for their roles in Galway reaching this year’s All-Ireland senior final.

There is an abundance of talent coming through at underage as well. Lynsey Noone captained the Galway minors to All-Ireland glory last year while Siobhan Fahy, Chloe Miskell, Hannah Noone and Ailish Morrissey picked up Connacht minor medals earlier this year. Many of those youngsters have already become integral parts of this Kilkerrin-Clonberne side but their manager says that they are still improving.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

 

Connacht Tribune

Schools and colleges in Galway advised to close for Storm Barra

Published

on

Schools in Galway have begun informing parents that they will not open tomorrow, following advice from the Department of Education.

The Dept said this evening that schools, colleges and universities in areas where a Status Orange or Red warning apply for Storm Barra should not open.

A spokesperson said: “Met Éireann has advised that there is a strong possibility that the status of parts of these counties currently in Status Orange are likely to change and escalate to Status Red.

“Due to the significant nature of Storm Barra, as forecast by Met Éireann and to give sufficient notice to institutions of further and higher education, the department is advising that all universities, colleges and further education facilities covered by the Red Alert and Orange warning from Met Éireann should not open tomorrow, 7 December.

“All schools and third level institutions should keep up-to-date with the current weather warnings which are carried on all national and local news bulletins and in particular any change in the status warning for their area.”

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway Gardaí: ‘Stay at home during Storm Barra’

Published

on

Gardaí in Galway have warned people to stay home tomorrow (Tuesday) as Met Éireann forecasted a ‘risk to life’ ahead of Storm Barra’s expected landfall tomorrow morning.

At a meeting of the City Joint Policing Committee (JPC), Council Chief Executive Brendan McGrath said the City Council was preparing for the ‘high probability’ of coastal flooding.

A combination of tomorrow’s high tides with the forecast high winds and heavy rainfall would likely lead to a flooding event, he said.

Chief Superintendent Tom Curley said the best advice available was to stay at home but refused to comment on school closures – advising that was a matter for the Department of Education.

Mr McGrath said a number of meetings between local and national agencies had already taken place, with more set to run throughout the day as preparations got underway for this winter’s first severe weather event.

“High tide is at 6.45am tomorrow morning and at 7.20pm tomorrow evening. There is currently a Red Marine Warning in place for the sea area that includes Galway and an Orange Storm Warning for Storm Barra for 6am Tuesday morning to 6am on Wednesday morning,” said Mr McGrath, adding that it was possible this storm warning could be raised to Red later today.

With high tide at 5.45 metres and a forecast storm surge of 1.05m, the risk of flooding was significant. In addition, winds were currently forecast to be South-West to West, said Mr McGrath, conducive to a flooding event in the city.

“It is potentially problematic . . . the hope would be that the storm surge doesn’t happen at the same time as high tide,” he added.

The flood protection barrier had been installed at Spanish Arch over the weekend and storm gullies had been cleaned. Sandbags were to be distributed throughout the day, said Mr McGrath.

Council staff would be on duty throughout the weather event and Gardaí would be operating rolling road closures from early morning. Carparks in Salthill were closed today, while tow trucks were on standby to remove any vehicles not moved by their owners before the high-risk period.

Chief Supt Curley said it was imperative people stayed home where possible.

The best way to say safe was to “leave the bicycle or the car in the driveway” from early tomorrow morning, and to stay indoors until the worst of the storm had passed.

Met Éireann has warned of potential for flooding in the West, with Storm Barra bringing “severe or damaging gusts” of up to 130km/h.

A Status Orange wind warning has been issued for Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork from 6am Tuesday to 6am Wednesday, with southerly winds, later becoming northwesterly, with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts of up to 130km/h possibly higher in coastal areas.

“High waves, high tides, heavy rain and storm surge will lead to wave overtopping and a significant possibility of coastal flooding. Disruption to power and travel are likely,” Met Éireann said.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Storm Barra to bring coastal flooding and disruption to Galway

Published

on

Met Éireann has warned of potential for flooding in the West on Tuesday, with Storm Barra bringing “severe or damaging gusts” of up to 130km/h.

A Status Orange wind warning has been issued for Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork from 6am Tuesday to 6am Wednesday, with southerly winds, later becoming northwesterly, with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts of up to 130km/h possibly higher in coastal areas.

“High waves, high tides, heavy rain and storm surge will lead to wave overtopping and a significant possibility of coastal flooding. Disruption to power and travel are likely,” Met Éireann said,

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending