Date Published: 06-Apr-2011
A Galway builder formed a new construction company in England – which specialises in rail contracts – less than three months after his luxury homes development business here collapsed with debts of €12 million.
And the Connacht Tribune has learned that Tom McEvaddy Jr, whose Nexus Homes company went into liquidation in September 2009, is facing a High Court action next month to have him restricted from acting as a director of any Irish company for a period of five years.
He now lives in a €1m detached house around 2.5km from the iconic Wembley Stadium in London.
The collapse of the Galway-based Tom McEvaddy Property Company Ltd (Nexus Homes) in September 2009, saw more than 180 unsecured creditors – who effectively have no chance of ever being paid – owed just under €4m, while Mr McEvaddy himself is owed €7.1m in director’s loans.
Architects, engineers, electricians and electrical suppliers, plasterers, landscapers and builders were among those ‘hit’ for individual amounts ranging up to €320,000 – many of whose businesses since faced serious financial difficulties as a result.
He told creditors when he wound up Nexus: “Whilst it’s of little consolation to those of you who will not get paid as a result of the company’s collapse, I am now in a position where I personally owe the banks many, many millions, with no prospect of repaying that money.”
The 40 year-old developer – who is also a director of Galway United Football Club – and his wife Lorraine went on to set up Brontë Construction in London in December 2009.
The couple, who have dual Irish and British citizenship and had been living between two properties on Taylor’s Hill – still boasting the highest property prices in Galway – have now listed a home address in the affluent Wembley Park area of Brent in Middlesex.
See full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune.
Visiting restrictions lifted at UHG following vomiting bug outbreak
Date Published: 08-May-2013
Visiting restrictions have been lifted at University Hospital Galway following an outbreak of the winter vomiting virus.
The restrictions had been in place on impacted wards since April 22nd.
Ann Cosgrove, General Manager at Galway University Hospitals says visiting restrictions are now being lifted as the outbreak is considered to be over.
However she warns that there are signs that the Winter Vomiting Virus is still active in the community.
Two men before courts over county grow houses
Date Published: 10-May-2013
Two Asian men have appeared in court for sentence in connection with the discovery of cannabis "grow houses" in Tuam and Loughrea last year.
They appeared before Galway Circuit court.
Vietnamese national, 48 year old Hai Fam pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Court to the possession and cultivation of 189 cannabis plants worth €151,000 at a dormer bungalow at Raheen Oughter, Loughrea on August 28 last year.
In a separate case, Malaysian national, 34 year old Lim Chun Wan, pleaded guilty to the cultivation of 360 cannabis plants worth €288,000 at another rurally located house at Riverview, Corbally, Tuam on June 2 last year.
Judge Rory McCabe said an appropriate sentence in Hai Fam’s case was five years.
He put a stay on the order until next Wednesday to give the accused time to prove his travel arrangements.
He sentenced Lim Chun Wan to seven years in prison, given the greater value of plants found in his care.
He directed the remainder of the men’s sentences be suspended on their leaving this jurisdiction and warned them that if they ever returned to Ireland they would serve the balance of their sentence.
City arthouse cinema granted 200 thousand euro
Date Published: 14-May-2013
Galway City Council has agreed to provide 200 thousand euro in funding to the Art House cinema project.
It’s being termed as a final allocation, to be donated over four years, and is subject to the project securing further finance from the Western Development Commission.
The decision was made at last evening’s city council meeting where representatives of Solas explained how they are attempting to bridge a shortfall in funding to bring the building to completion.
The City Council acquired the site for the Art House Cinema on Merchants Road at a cost of 1.8 million euro, and donated it by way of long term lease.
Construction has been plagued with difficulties, however it’s now hoped the building will be completed this Autumn, and could be open by early 2014.