Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Galway atone for first round league loss by putting Westmeath to the sword

Published

on

Galway’s Róisín Leonard who scored 3-4 in their big league win over Westmeath in Mullingar on Sunday.

Galway 5-11

Westmeath 0-7

Tomás Keating in Mullingar

GALWAY senior ladies footballers put their surprise loss to Waterford in the rear-view mirror as they comprehensively defeated Westmeath in the second round of the National League in Mullingar on Sunday.

Róisín Leonard was in devastating form as she scored a hat-trick to help the Tribeswomen earn their first victory in this year’s Division 1 campaign. The match was over as a contest after seven minutes after Galway’s two goal blitz in the space of 60 seconds through efforts from Leonard and Sarah Conneally.

One could say this clash was a must-win for Tim Rabbitt’s side as anything less would’ve dragged them into a potential relegation scrap, and taking that pressure into account, it was a very impressive performance from last year’s runners-up.

Galway were excellent in both facets of the game – attack and defence. Up front, their forward unit was near faultless as they didn’t register their first wide until midway through the second half. In defence, they tightened things up after last time out, where they conceded five goals against the Déise. They limited Westmeath to pot-shots and goalkeeper Dearbhla Gower had a quiet afternoon.

Next up, Galway will travel to Letterkenny where they will take-on Donegal in a curtain raiser to the men’s game. It’ll be another tough test for Galway as Maxi Curran’s charges beat Waterford 2-10 to 1-11 last weekend. Throw-in is at 1pm on Sunday at O’Donnell Park.

In the opening minute, it looked like Westmeath were going to give Galway problems. Straight from throw-in, Jo-Hanna Maher fired wide, but from the resulting kickout, Leona Archibold point to put Sean Finnegan’s side ahead. However, their lead didn’t last long as the Leonards, Tracey and Róisín, both kicked scores to put Galway 0-2 to 0-1 up after three minutes.

Four minutes later, Róisín Leonard received the ball in front of the goal unmarked and showed nerves of steel to calmly finish by ‘keeper Lauren McCormack. From the restart, Galway regained possession and Conneally was left all alone on the edge of the square. She made no mistake in slotting the ball past McCormack, who had to pick the ball from the net twice in the space of 60 seconds.

For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Get the Connacht Tribune Live app

The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.

Connacht Tribune

Schools and colleges in Galway advised to close for Storm Barra

Published

on

Schools in Galway have begun informing parents that they will not open tomorrow, following advice from the Department of Education.

The Dept said this evening that schools, colleges and universities in areas where a Status Orange or Red warning apply for Storm Barra should not open.

A spokesperson said: “Met Éireann has advised that there is a strong possibility that the status of parts of these counties currently in Status Orange are likely to change and escalate to Status Red.

“Due to the significant nature of Storm Barra, as forecast by Met Éireann and to give sufficient notice to institutions of further and higher education, the department is advising that all universities, colleges and further education facilities covered by the Red Alert and Orange warning from Met Éireann should not open tomorrow, 7 December.

“All schools and third level institutions should keep up-to-date with the current weather warnings which are carried on all national and local news bulletins and in particular any change in the status warning for their area.”

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Galway Gardaí: ‘Stay at home during Storm Barra’

Published

on

Gardaí in Galway have warned people to stay home tomorrow (Tuesday) as Met Éireann forecasted a ‘risk to life’ ahead of Storm Barra’s expected landfall tomorrow morning.

At a meeting of the City Joint Policing Committee (JPC), Council Chief Executive Brendan McGrath said the City Council was preparing for the ‘high probability’ of coastal flooding.

A combination of tomorrow’s high tides with the forecast high winds and heavy rainfall would likely lead to a flooding event, he said.

Chief Superintendent Tom Curley said the best advice available was to stay at home but refused to comment on school closures – advising that was a matter for the Department of Education.

Mr McGrath said a number of meetings between local and national agencies had already taken place, with more set to run throughout the day as preparations got underway for this winter’s first severe weather event.

“High tide is at 6.45am tomorrow morning and at 7.20pm tomorrow evening. There is currently a Red Marine Warning in place for the sea area that includes Galway and an Orange Storm Warning for Storm Barra for 6am Tuesday morning to 6am on Wednesday morning,” said Mr McGrath, adding that it was possible this storm warning could be raised to Red later today.

With high tide at 5.45 metres and a forecast storm surge of 1.05m, the risk of flooding was significant. In addition, winds were currently forecast to be South-West to West, said Mr McGrath, conducive to a flooding event in the city.

“It is potentially problematic . . . the hope would be that the storm surge doesn’t happen at the same time as high tide,” he added.

The flood protection barrier had been installed at Spanish Arch over the weekend and storm gullies had been cleaned. Sandbags were to be distributed throughout the day, said Mr McGrath.

Council staff would be on duty throughout the weather event and Gardaí would be operating rolling road closures from early morning. Carparks in Salthill were closed today, while tow trucks were on standby to remove any vehicles not moved by their owners before the high-risk period.

Chief Supt Curley said it was imperative people stayed home where possible.

The best way to say safe was to “leave the bicycle or the car in the driveway” from early tomorrow morning, and to stay indoors until the worst of the storm had passed.

Met Éireann has warned of potential for flooding in the West, with Storm Barra bringing “severe or damaging gusts” of up to 130km/h.

A Status Orange wind warning has been issued for Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork from 6am Tuesday to 6am Wednesday, with southerly winds, later becoming northwesterly, with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts of up to 130km/h possibly higher in coastal areas.

“High waves, high tides, heavy rain and storm surge will lead to wave overtopping and a significant possibility of coastal flooding. Disruption to power and travel are likely,” Met Éireann said.

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Storm Barra to bring coastal flooding and disruption to Galway

Published

on

Met Éireann has warned of potential for flooding in the West on Tuesday, with Storm Barra bringing “severe or damaging gusts” of up to 130km/h.

A Status Orange wind warning has been issued for Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork from 6am Tuesday to 6am Wednesday, with southerly winds, later becoming northwesterly, with mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h and gusts of up to 130km/h possibly higher in coastal areas.

“High waves, high tides, heavy rain and storm surge will lead to wave overtopping and a significant possibility of coastal flooding. Disruption to power and travel are likely,” Met Éireann said,

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending