Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

CITY TRIBUNE

Galway 2020 has spent €18 million to date

Published

on

Despite the public not catching any major show or event during Galway’s tenure as European Capital of Culture, organisers have managed to spend €18 million.

With just one million left over from the pot of funding so far secured from Irish and European taxpayers, they have spent four months negotiating with the Government to release the final tranche of €5 million which was originally promised. This will be used to stage a revised programme of 28 projects featuring largely local artists which will now run until next March.

The figures emerged in the first briefing for Galway City councillors since Storm Ciara forced the cancellation of the opening ceremony in February – the biggest single event for Galway’s year in the spotlight – and Covid-19 restrictions weeks later led to the cancellation of all public events.

At a meeting of the Council on Wednesday, 2020 Chief Executive Patricia Philbin revealed they had yet to finalise an insurance claim for pulling the plug on the €2.3m opening extravaganza as they are “currently working to consolidate the end of the project”.

But it was other figures “not presented in a transparent way” in the update which seemed to irk the councillors.

Several queried the €100,000 spent on hotels and travel and €200,000 on professional fees in the first three months of this year.

Cllr Eddie Hoare (FG) labelled it a “gravy train” that the public can see right through.

“Doomed” and “cursed” is how Cllr Frank Fahy (FG) described the project.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read a report of the discussion in full, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

CITY TRIBUNE

Elective surgeries cancelled at UHG as overcrowding continues

Published

on

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Some non-urgent elective surgeries are being cancelled at UHG in a bid to tackle severe overcrowding at the city hospital.

It follows the issuing of a warning from the Saolta Hospital Group that the emergency department is extremely busy and there is ongoing pressure on bed availability.

General Manager at UHG, Chris Kane, says over 500 people presented at the hospital on Monday and Tuesday.

She says the overcrowding situation is very serious, particularly in relation to the ED, the Surgical Unit and the Acute Medical Assessment Unit.

Members of the public are urged to only attend the hospital in the case of emergency, and contact their GP or out-of-hours service if their health problem is not urgent.

Saolta is also reminding the public that the Injury Unit at Roscommon University Hospital is open from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, to treat adults and children over 5.

Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Chris Kane said the current level of patients presenting is extremely high and “unusual” for this time of year.

She also noted there’s also been a rise in patients being treated for Covid-19, including in the ICU.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Mercury hit 30°C for Galway City’s hottest day in 45 years

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune –

Wednesday was the hottest day in the city over the past 45 years when with a high of 30.1 Celsius being recorded at the NUI Galway Weather Station.

The highest temperature ever recorded in the city dates back to June 30, 1976, when the late Frank Gaffney had a reading of 30.5° Celsius at his weather station in Newcastle.

Pharmacists and doctors have reported a surge in people seeking treatment for sunburn.

A Status Yellow ‘high temperature warning’ from Met Éireann – issued on Tuesday – remains in place for Galway and the rest of the country until 9am on Saturday morning.

It will be even hotter in the North Midlands, where a Status Orange temperature warning is in place.

One of the more uncomfortable aspects of our current heatwave has been the above average night-time temperatures and the high humidity levels – presenting sleeping difficulties for a lot of people.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Property Tax hike voted down in Galway City

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – A proposal to boost Galway City Council coffers by half a million euro every year by increasing Local Property Tax (LPT) did not receive the support of city councillors.

Councillor Peter Keane (FF) failed to get a seconder at this week’s local authority meeting for his motion to increase the LPT payable on Galway City houses by 5%.

Cllr Keane said that the increase would net the Council €500,000 every year, which could be spent evenly on services across all three electoral wards.

It would be used to fund services and projects city councillors are always looking for, including a proposal by his colleague Cllr Imelda Byrne for the local authority to hire additional staff for city parks.

The cost to the taxpayer – or property owner – would be minimal, he insisted.

“It would mean that 90% of households would pay 37 cent extra per week,” he said.

Not one of the 17 other elected members, including four party colleagues, would second his motion and so it fell.

Another motion recommending no change in the current rate of LPT in 2022 was passed by a majority.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending