Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Chairperson of Galway 2020 and other representatives are to appear before a meeting of the city council next week.
Councillor Padraig Conneely organised a meeting between the Economic Development, Enterprise and Culture Strategic Policy Committee and the 2020 group for next week. (17/6)
However, at a meeting of the local authority this week (11/6), councillors felt that the Galway 2020 representatives should come before the full council with a progress update.
At a meeting of the city council this week, several councillors expressed concern about the lack of information lately on Galway 2020.
Councillor Mark Lohan said the city council is providing funding to the campaign and therefore should get an update 2 to 3 times a year.
The county council has also provided funding for Galway 2020.
Councillor Michael Crowe told the meeting that there seems to be a ‘vacuum’ in the public realm in terms of information relating to the 2020 campaign, since it was announced that Galway had won the bid.
He added that any organisation which is reluctant to come before the local council makes him feel ‘uneasy’, but CEO Brendan McGrath says the 2020 team has been willing to attend the council but had difficulty scheduling.
Councillor Michael Cubbard said Galway 2020 had initially encompassed so much positivity but is now quiet and there are comments from people in Limerick saying they’ll ‘take over if Galway fails.’
Councillor Frank Fahy said there is no signage around the city to indicate that Galway won the bid for 2020 and now the campaign is ‘mired in negativity and controversy’.
British theatre director Chris Baldwin was appointed to the post of creative director of Galway 2020 last year – but recently resigned.
The meeting with the city council will take place next Tuesday (19/6) at 5p.m at City Hall, College Road.
🎧 Fiona Murtagh’s twin Alan says she’ll be known forever as an Olympic medallist
Galway Bay fm newsroom – History was made today at the Tokyo Olympics- and two Galway women were at the forefront.
Furbo’s Aifric Keogh and Fiona Murtagh from Moycullen were part of the team that took a bronze medal in the Women’s Four rowing in the early hours of this morning.
The other team members are Eimear Lambe from Dublin and Emily Hegarty from Cork.
All four of the team are now household names this evening after becoming the first female Irish athletes to win Olympic rowing medals.
It’s expected they could be returning home as soon as this weekend – no doubt to the well deserved red carpet treatment.
David Nevin has more on the historic event:
Fiona Murtagh’s twin Alan says the family were watching through their fingers in the early hours of this morning.
And he says she’ll be known forever as an Olympic medallist.
SIPTU members at St Brigid’s Ballinasloe to ballot for strike action this week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – SIPTU workers at St Brigid’s Mental Health Unit in Ballinasloe are set to ballot for strike action this week.
The union has confirmed it will begin balloting members working as care assistants and care workers at the facility from tomorrow.
SIPTU argues its members have been left with no option but to ballot for strike action because HSE senior management is outsourcing work contrary to public service agreements.
The union says its members feel overlooked by the HSE’s decision to seek tenders from private health care support agencies to carry-out work which is currently being done by SIPTU workers.
In a statement, the HSE says an external review of the needs of service users was undertaken in 2017 and a change process subsequently commenced.
It adds the service is in the process of transitioning to a social care model which will deliver better outcomes and quality of life for the service users.
The HSE has stated it is incumbent on Galway Roscommon Mental Health Service to support evidence-based best practice and change the service delivery to a social care model in line with all other intellectual disability services provided in this country.
SIPTU Assistant Industrial Organiser Yvonne McGrath says the HSE made its decision without any consultation.
To hear more, tune into Galway Bay fm news.
1,408 new cases of Covid-19 nationwide
Statement from the National Public Health Emergency Team
The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1,408* confirmed cases of COVID-19.
As of 8am today, 152 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 26 are in ICU.
Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said: “Currently, 2% of cases are being hospitalised. We know that we would be experiencing many more cases and hospitalisations were it not for the great progress being made in taking up vaccination. We need to keep this up as we move to vaccinate the remaining, mostly younger, cohorts of our population.
“The more people vaccinated in this country, the less opportunity COVID-19 has to inflict severe illness and disruption on us. If you are eligible for a COVID-19 vaccination and have yet to register, please do so as soon as possible.”
“If you are waiting to be fully vaccinated, please continue to follow the public health advice; manage your social contacts, meet outdoors, stay 2m apart, wear masks, wash/sanitize hands regularly and avoid non-essential travel abroad. If you are experiencing symptoms of cold and flu: headache, sore throat, runny nose, stay at home and get tested as soon as possible for COVID-19.”
Dr. Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said; “Vaccination is having a very positive impact on the risk profile of COVID-19 in Ireland. As more people get fully vaccinated we can expect to see a higher proportion of cases in fully vaccinated people. This does not mean that vaccines are not working and, for those who have been fully vaccinated, their risk of severe illness or hospitalisation as result of COVID-19 is much lower than if they had not been vaccinated.
“It is vital that as many people as possible take the opportunity to get vaccinated in the weeks ahead – both for their own protection and for the protection of their families and friends. Walk-in centres for vaccination will open this weekend – please take the opportunity to get vaccinated.”
Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group, “Today we are reporting 1,408 cases of COVID-19 with a median age of 24. The current trajectory of the more transmissible Delta variant across the country means that unvaccinated people remain at high risk of contracting COVID-19.
“The pace at which our vaccination programme is operating means that it will not be long before you can avail of a vaccine. In the meantime, unvaccinated people should take all public health precautions to avoid contracting the disease.”
Professor Karina Butler, Chair of the National Immunisation Advisory Committee, said; “The National Immunisation Advisory Committee examined and recommended the use of mRNA vaccines for 12-15 year olds. Clinical trials estimated efficacy of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines as 100% in these age groups, making them extremely effective in preventing infection in this age cohort.
“I would strongly encourage those aged 12-15 years of age with underlying medical conditions, those living with a younger child with complex medical needs, or with an immunocompromised adult to accept vaccination as soon as it is offered.”
Dr Cillian De Gascun, Medical Virologist and Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory, said; “With more than 90% of all cases now caused by the more transmissible Delta variant, it’s vital we continue to exercise individual caution until each of us is fully vaccinated.”