Galway Bay fm newsroom – Almost 350 thousand euro has been allocated to 46 Galway schools to support sports and language skills.
The Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht approved the funding which will enable the teaching of football, hurling and handball skills at 35 primary and 11 secondary schools in Galway.
The programme will run in schools for the next three years in tandem with the Government’s action plan for the Irish Language.
Over 600 pupils will benefit from the programme on an annual basis in schools across Connemara, the Aran Islands, in Gaeltacht areas of Galway City and in Thuar Mhic Éadaigh in Mayo.
More at 10 as Minister of State for the Gaeltacht and Galway West TD Sean Kyne says it’s a good venture to promote Irish through sport…
Status Yellow rainfall warning issued for Galway
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Status Yellow rainfall warning has been issued for Galway.
The warning is in effect for 20 counties nationwide – including all of Connacht – and comes into effect for Galway at 6 this evening.
It’ll remain in place until midnight tomorrow.
Met Eireann is warning that heavy rainfall is to be expected during that time, with the potential for heavy downpours locally during shorter intervals.
It’s further advising that there is potential for flooding on already saturated or waterlogged grounds.
Galway TD says children being failed by ‘revolving door’ of social workers at Tusla
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Galway TD is claiming a ‘revolving door’ of temporary social workers at Tusla is failing children.
Figures revealed to Galway East Fianna Fail Deputy Anne Rabbitte show the number of agency staff hired by Tusla as social workers has increased by 125 percent since 2016.
However, she says the number of directly employed social workers only grew by 3.8 percent in that period.
Deputy Rabbitte says children are losing out because of a recruitment and retention crisis in the Child and Family Agency.
For more, tune into Galway Bay fm news at 5…
Apple puts Athenry data centre site on market
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Tech-giant Apple has put a 500 acre site near Athenry – which had been earmarked for an €800m data centre – on the market.
Many see it as the firm finally closing the door on a long-running saga which began several years ago.
Apple first secured permission for an €850m data centre in Athenry in late 2016, but the plan was ultimately abandoned following long-running objections.
In April of this year, the Supreme Court dismissed the appeal by local residents against the decision to grant permission.
Apple had abandoned the project by this point, and concerns had been raised at national level about the implications of the case on future data centre projects in Ireland.
However, while local residents and politicians expressed hope that Apple may ultimately reconsider investing in Athenry, the tech firm has now put the site on the market.
According to the Sunday Times, the 500 acre plot is advertised by property agents as ‘Data Hub West’, a ready-to-go data centre development site.
It’s reported a sale brochure for the site does not disclose the price being sought, nor mention that it is owned by Apple.