Date Published: 10-May-2011
By Dara Bradley
Millions of euro in funding for two new schools on the east side of the city could be lost – and the building work on the schools delayed for up to 20 years – if a dispute over a roadway isn’t resolved, City Councillors were warned last night.
Director of Services for Transportation and Infrastructure Ciarán Hayes confirmed that the Council would not proceed with building a controversial new road through a green area in the Túr Uisce estate in Doughiska until he, officials, residents and elected members meet again this week.
Several meetings have already taken place between Galway VEC, Councillors, Council officials and residents after a stand-off took place on Good Friday when Council workers were forced to stop construction on the road due to health and safety concerns after residents protested.
Mr Hayes said that outline planning permission was granted for two schools, primary and secondary, on a landlocked site and that one of the conditions of the planning is that road access to the site would be provided through Túr Uisce.
Last night’s City Council meeting heard that if the road is not built by June, then the Public Private Partnership money allocated for the two schools would be put in jeopardy.
Mr Hayes said that if an access road is not built then the funding could be jeopardised, which would delay the building of the schools “for at least 15 or 20 years” given the current economic climate.
Cllr Collette Connolly (Lab) proposed that the Council go-ahead and build the road so that the PPP funding is not jeopardised this June but she wanted the Council to agree to providing an alternative access road “prior to the opening of the schools”, which haven’t got full planning permission yet.
She said there needed to be agreement with residents because otherwise the road could be challenged to An Bórd Pleanála, which will “bury the schools” altogether.
Mr Hayes said it was always envisaged that a road would be built through Túr Uisce to access the site, even when it had been earmarked for residential use and not just for the schools. He said the Council has a difficulty with Cllr Connolly’s wording that it would “commit to providing an alternative route” because that suggested there was an alternative access route. Alternative access points to the site being suggested by elected representatives “would compromise the public transport corridor” site adjacent to the site earmarked for the schools. It would also compromise recreational and amenity zoned lands in the area.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Sentinel.
Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent
Date Published: 07-May-2013
A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.
That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.
The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.
Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.
Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.
Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis
Date Published: 09-May-2013
Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.
A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.
Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.
Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.
Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.
Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action
Date Published: 12-May-2013
The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.
There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.
Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.
However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.
Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.