Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Connacht Tribune

Freedom of Galway beckons for immigrants’ champion

Dara Bradley

Published

on

Chicago-based Galway-born businessman and rights campaigner, Billy Lawless is to be made a freeman of his native city, to honour his tireless work for immigration reform in the United States.

The Connacht Tribune understands that Mr Lawless, a native of Menlo, will be conferred with the Freedom of the City at a ceremony to be held early next year.

The news comes as Mr Lawless was this week lauded by US President Barack Obama, Taoiseach Enda Kenny, and others, for his role in new immigration reforms, which will help the tens of thousands of undocumented Irish living in America.

Indeed, just this week, Mr Lawless introduced President Obama during a keynote speech in Chicago to discuss executive action on immigration. President Obama issued an executive order that would protect around four million parents of US citizen children or legal permanent residents from deportations.

[iframe id=”http://www.c-span.org/video/standalone/?322915-1/president-obama-remarks-immigration” align=”center” mode=”normal”]

“Thanks to President Barack Obama’s bold, smart and compassionate executive order, millions of immigrants – not just Latinos – but the Irish, Polish, Ukrainians and Asians are safe and can stay with their families,” said Mr Lawless this week.

Galway City Councillors are due to discuss awarding Mr Lawless the accolade at a Council procedures meeting in the coming weeks. His name will then be brought before a full Council meeting for a vote of approval by all 18 elected members. It could be voted on as early as the second Monday in December.

Mr Lawless would follow in the footsteps of President of Ireland, Michael D Higgins, who was the last person to be bestowed the honour of freeman.

See full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune.

Connacht Tribune

Galway Real Estate have attractive site for sale on the Aran Islands

Avatar

Published

on

Oghill, Inishmore, Aran Islands.

Galway Real Estate have an attractive site/property for sale at Oghill, Inishmore, Aran Islands.

The site is approximately c.150 square metres. (c.1600 sq. ft.) on c.1 acre with planning permission to convert to a dwelling house and fit a new waste water treatment system. Planning Ref: 17/1284. There are two years  left on planning. The planning is for a proposed 4 bedrooms, kitchen, dining/room, laundry/room, bathroom. This is a wonderful opportunity to get a property ready to go. Offers in excess of €125,000 considered.

Full details from Paddy Flynn 0872557618 or Galway Real Estate on 091565488 or email: info@galwayrealestate.ie

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Aran to welcome Ireland’s largest domestic passenger ferry

Avatar

Published

on

Saoirse na Farraige

The largest domestic passenger ferry in the country is making its journey from the Far East to the Far West – ready to commence service from Galway to the three Aran Islands.

The 40-metre ‘Saoirse na Farraige’ represents a massive investment – and vote of confidence – in island tourism on the part of the owners, Aran Island Ferries.

Commissioned in January 2019, this sixth member of their fleet has a capacity of 400 – and it is expected to arrive in Galway Bay from Hong Kong in October.

The vessel departed Hong Kong last week, embarking on a 2,500 mile journey to Galway Bay – inside the hold of a heavy lift ship called Svenja’”.

Saoirse na Farraige has at least three more stops to make before arriving in Galway Bay at the end of October – and it won’t not enter service until next spring.

Aran Island Ferries Sales and Marketing Manager, Aine McLoughlin, said that they were looking forward to seeing visitors enjoy their journey to the Aran Islands, enjoying the increased capacity, accessibility, and safety features.

“We are really looking forward to officially launching ‘Saoirse na Farraige’ next year and seeing visitors enjoy their journey to the Aran Islands on board our new ferry,” she said.

Saoirse na Farraige will serve all three islands from Rossaveel – with a journey time of 40 minutes to Inis Mór, 50 minutes to Inis Meáin, and 55 minutes to Inis Oírr.

Read the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in now – or download our digital edition at www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Connacht Tribune

Emergency Department upgrade will happen at UHG – but it’s complicated

Denise McNamara

Published

on

The current ED at UHG.

Revamping the emergency department at UHG will involve three separate projects – leading to the hospital’s chief describing the process as ‘very complex’.

City Councillor John Connolly (FF) said the people of Galway were concerned that the new emergency department – like the ring road – would never happen, as it appeared to be so bound up in red tape.

Joe Hoare, assistant national director of estates in HSE West, told the Regional Health Forum West meeting that that outpatients department adjacent to the emergency department was being redeveloped to create more capacity for streaming Covid patients from non-Covid patients for the winter.

The outpatients department would be relocated to the Merlin Park campus. The design for this building would be completed within ten months with construction expected to begin in by last 2021 at the earliest.

An interim emergency department was the next priority so that the current building could be knocked to make way for the new state-of-the-art building, creating a new maternity department and paediatrics unit.

Since the budget for the new children’s hospital had blown out of all proportion, the rules over public projects over €100 million had changed and the Saolta hospital group had to ensure its business case for the massive project was ‘watertight’.

Mr Hoare said all three projects were moving in parallel, including the enabling works for the main build, which would take around 18 months to complete.

He described the project as Saolta’s ‘absolute top priority and was regarded as such by the national HSE organisation.

Head of Saolta, Tony Canavan, said the project was ‘big and very complex’ and required management to remain ‘very focused over a long time’.

Read the full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune, on sale in now – or download our digital edition at www.connachttribune.ie

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending