A four-year-old Galway girl – inspired by a photograph of a cancer sufferer she’d never met – chopped off her luscious locks last weekend for a charity that makes wigs for children suffering from the disease.
Róisín Smith cut nine inches off her hair on Saturday to donate it to Little Princess Trust, after seeing a photograph of a girl she had never met on her mother’s phone.
And now the two brave little girls are hoping to meet.
“Lucy is the daughter of a colleague of my husband’s and she was diagnosed with cancer in September at eight years of age; Lucy is now nine,” explained Róisín’s mother Caroline Smith this week.
And as soon as Róisín saw the photo, she wanted to give the girl her hair.
“We started to watch hair donation videos on YouTube and she decided that she wanted to do it. We gave it a few weeks to make sure she understood what he hair would be like afterwards,” said Caroline.
Róisín attends Enfant Educare pre-school in Ardrahan, and last week they ran a Teddy Bear Picnic to support her.
This alone raised €690 – bringing the total amount raised to €3,960.
“We picked BUMBLEance as the charity who would receive the sponsorship as this is Lucy’s chosen charity.
“When Lucy got sick first she made loom bracelets in hospital and I sold these on my website www.cailindeas.com for her. She raised over €600 selling these,” added Caroline.
The haircut took place in Leah Kelly Hair Design in Gort on Saturday with a small audience of family friends.
Róisín’s little three year old sister Ciara also wanted to donate her hair but, according to her mum, she wasn’t blessed with Róisín’s long locks – so it will be a few more years before she has the length required.
“Róisín and Lucy have never met but we hope to do a joint cheque presentation to BUMBLEance at the end of March and they will meet then,” added her proud mother.
And people can still donate to the fund until the end of March – just go onto the link to donate at www.idonate.ie/roisinshair
Water outages across Knocknacarra and Barna due to burst watermain
Galway Bay fm newsroom – There are water outages across Knocknacarra and Barna this morning due to a burst watermain
The burst is in a rising main from Clifton Hill in Galway City to Tonabrucky Reservoir
The city council and Irish Water says while every effort is being made to maintain supply to as many customers as possible, the burst has caused water levels in Tonabrucky Reservoir to deplete
Houses and businesses in Knocknacarra, Barna and surrounding areas will experience low pressure and outages.
Dedicated water service crews have mobilised and repairs are underway and are expected to be completed by mid-afternoon.
Traffic management will be in place and Letteragh Road will be closed between Sliabh Rua and Tonabrucky Cross until 6pm.
Householders and businessses are being asked to conserve water where possible to reduce the pressure on local supplies and allow reservoir levels to restore.
Woman sustains serious injuries after being struck by firework in Eyre Square
Gardaí are appealing for witnesses after a young woman was struck in the face by a firework in Eyre Square in the city overnight.
It happened shortly after midnight and gardai say it’s understood the firework had been launched from close to the Tourist Information Kiosk.
The young woman suffered serious injuries and was hospitalised as a result.
Gardaí understand there was a large group of people in Eyre Square at the time and are now asking that any person who may have witnessed the incident make contact with the investigating team.
In particular Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have video footage of the incident, either on mobile phone, CCTV or dash-cam to make contact with them.
This incident comes just days after a policing committee meeting was told of increasing concern about anti social behaviour around Eyre Square.
Garda chief suggests closing Eyre Square to curb anti-social behaviour
From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Closing Eyre Square at night-time was among the radical suggestions put forward by Galway’s top Garda this week – in response to claims that the city centre’s famous landmark had become a ‘no-go area’ after dark.
It comes as Gardaí confirmed that since January they issued almost 500 fines for breaches of the city’s alcohol bylaws, which prohibit the consumption of alcohol in public spaces.
Responding to claims that people were afraid to visit parts of the city centre at night due to anti-social behaviour, Chief Superintendent Tom Curley said that the authorities might have to look at closing Eyre Square at certain times.
Chief Supt Curley also said that improved lighting and better CCTV were other tools that could be used to deter anti-social behaviour and to detect crime in the city centre.
“I’d need another five officers in there – and I haven’t got them,” said Chief Supt Curley of the requirement for more Gardaí on patrol in Eyre Square.
He was responding to a charge by former mayor of Galway, Councillor Frank Fahy, who said Eyre Square was dangerous at night. “It’s a no-go area,” he said at a City Joint Policing Committee (JPC) meeting this week.
Cllr Fahy said that the illegal activity and anti-social behaviour in the city centre was a product of the Covid-19 pandemic and people socialising outdoors. Eyre Square was safe pre-Covid, he said.
In a written reply to the JPC, Chief Supt Curley said that anti-social behaviour issues had been ‘de-escalated’ along the city’s canals, Woodquay and Spanish Arch ‘as a result of extra Garda patrols’.
“The resulting consequences have led to crowd movement from these areas (and they) are now congregating at Eyre Square. Garda attention is concentrated on Eyre Square, however the return of students and the continued restrictions has led to increased numbers,” he said.
(Photo: a scene from Eyre Square at night this week taken from a video circulated on social media)
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the rest of the story, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.