Date Published: 10-May-2013
A Malaysian businessman, who at one point owned a number of Chinese restaurants in the city has been sentenced to 3 years in jail with the final year suspended for drug dealing.
43 year old Ee San Loke, pleaded guilty before Galway Circuit Criminal Court to having €20,000 worth of cannabis herb for sale or supply at Shantalla Road on June 7 last year.
He also pleaded guilty to having 8 thousand euro worth of the drug for sale or supply at Dr Mannix Road, Salthill on January 15, 2012.
Garda Barry Walsh said Loke came to Ireland to study English in 1989.
He became a successful businessman, owning a few Chinese restaurants.
However, he gambled the restaurants away.
60 jobs saved at city B&Q after company exits examinership
Date Published: 07-May-2013
60 jobs have been saved at the city branch of B&Q, after the home improvements store successfully exited examinership.
Under the scheme, 2.4 million euro is to be invested by parent company Kingfisher plc, and B&Q will continue to trade at eight stores
This means 640 jobs have been saved nationwide, including 60 at the outlet in Knocknacarra.
B&Q Ireland filed a petition with the High Court in January seeking the appointment of an examiner.
Male pedestrian hit by car in city
Date Published: 09-May-2013
A man in his 40s is being treated at University Hospital Galway after he was hit by a car on the Dublin road this afternoon.
The man was walking near the entrance to Merlin Park hospital at around 1:30 when the incident occured.
Emergency services attended the scene, and he was taken to hospital for treatment of his injuries.
Gardaí are advising motorists to expect delays as a stop-go system is now in place.
Galway call for Transport Minister to intervene in bus strike
Date Published: 13-May-2013
City Councillor Michael Crowe is calling on the Transport Minister Leo Vradkar to urgently intervene to end strike action by Bus Eireann in Galway.
Major travel disruption is expected in Galway and nationwide as the national strike enters its second day.
Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.
Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing their picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city.
It’s understood up to 80 Galway workers took part in the picket on rotational rosters yesterday.
Speaking on Galway Talks, City Cllr Michael Crowe said Minister Vradkar needs to take urgent action to intervene so that transport services can be restored.