Date Published: 09-Jun-2011
It was a long time coming, but boy did he enjoy it. A clean sheet, a couple of fabulous saves, and a rare victory over the Italians ensured that Galway native David Forde enjoyed a full debut to be treasured when he lined out between the posts for the Republic of Ireland in Belgium on Tuesday night.
Coming at the end of a season in which the commitment of some Irish players to representing their country in ‘friendlies’ came under fire, the Millwall goalkeeper was clearly overjoyed that his first high-profile start for the Republic had ended in a memorable 2-0 victory.
“It was absolutely fantastic to get a clean sheet against Italy and to win 2-0 away from home,” a delighted Forde told Tribune Sport on Wednesday.
“I’m over the moon. All you can do is take on what’s in front of you and I was pleased with how the whole game went. The whole team worked their socks off. We wanted it badly.”
The Republic have not beaten Italy since Ray Houghton hit the back of the Azzurri’s net in the 1994 World Cup in the USA and Forde was thrilled to play his part, coming off his line to make a key interception on the half-hour mark and making a fingertip save to deny the Italians before Simon Cox wrapped up the win in injury time.
At 31, the native of Newcastle in Galway City became the oldest player since World War Two to make a full senior debut for Ireland, a statistic he only became aware of at a press conference in Liege the night before the game.
“I didn’t know that until Monday night,” he said. “It’s absolutely fantastic. I finally got there after all these years and it just goes to show that perseverance pays off. I am still young for a goalkeeper when you look at the likes of David James and Edwin Van Der Sar. So I think I’ve a good few years left in me and a few more caps to win.”
Forde, who made his League of Ireland debut for Galway United in September 1999, said that he was not nervous before his first full international at the Maurice Dufrasne Stadium in Liege. Instead, he was keen to impress manager Giovanni Trapattoni after finally getting his chance in the absence of regular goalkeeper Shay Given.
“It was always my dream, ever since I was a young lad in Galway, to represent my country. It was always top of my list of goals to achieve in football. So it was great to get out on the field and finally play for Ireland last night,” he told Tribune Sport.
“I wasn’t nervous last night. I have already played in two play-off finals with Millwall, in front of crowds of 85,000 at Wembley. Last night’s game was only a friendly, but I was really keen to show the manager what I have. At the end of the day I am an experienced player and I’m hoping now that my performance last night can cement my position in the squad.”
For more, read this week’s Galway City Tribune.
Judge adjourns Connemara assault case
Date Published: 08-May-2013
A date will be set next October for the trial of a 52-year old Connemara man, who is charged with assaulting traditional Irish musician Noel Hill five years ago.
Michael Folan from Teach Mór, Lettermullen, is charged with intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to Noel Hill at Tí Padraig Mairtín Beag in Leitir Mór, on St Stephen’s Day, 2008.
The matter had been listed for trial on several occasions before Galway Circuit Criminal Court in the intervening period.
It was referred to the High Court in Dublin last year for judicial review after Michael Folan said he wanted his trial heard ‘as Gaeilge’and that a bi-lingual jury be made available to hear the case.
At Galway Circuit Criminal Court, Judge Rory McCabe adjourned the case for mention to October when it’s expected a date will be set for trial.
Bank of Ireland Galway Shopping Centre branch to close
Date Published: 10-May-2013
Bank of Ireland’s branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.
The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.
Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.
Galway RNLI rescues three people stranded on Hare Island
Date Published: 13-May-2013
Galway RNLI Lifeboat has come to the rescue of three students who got stranded on Hare Island after getting caught in the tide off Ballyloughan Beach.
The two girls and boy, in their late teens had gone for a walk and were spotted waving from the island by a local resident who contacted the emergency Services and Galway Lifeboat.
Conditions at the time (4pm) were very changeable with heavy showers.
Three members of the Lifeboat shore crew were working in the vicinity of the station at the time and launched the boat in six minutes.
The three students were picked up safely and brought back to the Lifeboat Station at Galway Docks where they were warmed up and given tea and did not require medical attention.