Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us


Flattering Salthill Devon fail to take the most of a flying start



WATERFORD United were on the verge of going out of existence last week but after their fans came to the club’s financial rescue, the players rewarded their support with a comprehensive win over Salthill Devon at a soaked Drom on Friday night.

Former Galway United player and Waterford United adviser Pat Dolan was an interested spectator in a game which was in the melting pot at half time, but the visitors took control after the break.

Coming into the game, John Brennan’s charges were minus another key player as striker Enda Curran agreed terms with Athlone Town last week and made an immediate impact by scoring the winner in their victory against Finn Harps. 

Devon, however, got off to a dream start when they hit the front inside three minutes. Brian Geraghty started as a makeshift striker and when his effort was handled by a Waterford defender on the edge of the box, Daniel Cunningham beautifully curled the free kick low into the bottom left corner.

Minutes later Devon almost doubled their lead when Geraghty’s shot rebounded off Waterford keeper Charles Saunders but Craig Harding’s follow up effort went well over the bar.

On 11 minutes, the visitors had their first chance of the game – and they took it. Phil Drohan’s cross from the left flank found Marco Chindea at the back post and he rifled home.

The strong familiar Drom breeze was dominating affairs, but the blues created another decent chance when Conor Meade crept in and Salthill keeper James Keane had to advance. He cleared only as far as the waiting Vinny Sullivan only for the Waterrford man to blaze over.

Devon were battling hard and youngster Conor Barry was impressing in his senior debut for the club in central midfield. Cunningham then crossed for Harding, but the winger missed it and the ball bounced inches wide. As the half hour mark approached, Salthill caught the Waterford United defence napping and Barry was in on goal but with just Saunders to beat, his shot sailed inches over.

Kevin O’Connor, Patrick Barrett and Chindea missed half-chances for the visitors before the break but Devon were holding strong and the sides went in level at the interval.

Devon looked well worth a bet for a draw at this point, having gone their previous three home games without defeat and playing decent football, but at the start of the second-half two early goals killed their challenge.

Within a minute of the restart, the Blues hit the front when a quick Dylan Mernagh throw was collected by Drohan from 25 yards, and the winger let fly after a quick turn and the ball flew into the net.

Devon were rattled and moments later Waterford sailed 3-1 ahead when Seamus Long fed Drohan on the left flank once more and when he cut into the box, he was challenged by Devon’s young Donegal right-back Shane O’Rourke.

How the referee gave a penalty will never be established but nonetheless Ray Matthews pointed to the spot despite the former Finn Harps man clearly winning the ball and the frantic protests of the Devon players.

Conor Meade stood up when tempers eventually cooled and he slotted low to James Keane’s left to give Waterford the two-goal cushion and well on their way towards three points.

The visitors then began to dominate and to sum up Devon’s luck on the night a freak fourth goal arrived when Devon tried to clear a Waterford attack, but the ball struck Waterford’s Conor Whittle on the head and bounced over Keane and into the net.

Devon’s chances of avoiding a bottom-placed finish remain alive but they now face two difficult fixtures on the road which are against Finn Harps and Longford Town respectively.


Lomboto’s late strike earns United share of the spoils



Galway United 2
Athlone Town 2

GALWAY United had to twice come from behind against basement side Athlone Town on Monday night to snatch a draw that was, on balance, probably a little harsh on the visiting side.
Completely outplayed in the opening 45 minutes, United had an absolute howler from visiting goalkeeper, Aaron Myles, to thank for going into the break on level terms; and then needed an equaliser five minutes from time to claim a draw against a side that came into the game having lost all four games they had played this season.
Alan Murphy’s side already find themselves nine points behind the league leaders just four games into the season, and a major improvement is needed if they are to finish in the top half of the table and inside the play-off spots.
Their central midfield was way off the mark on Monday night – both Maurice Nugent and Sam Warde were hauled ashore before the final whistle – and having abandoned the 4-4-2 formation which delivered some decent results near the end of last season, they are struggling to get quality ball into the opposition box.
With Shane Duggan expected to return to central midfield after suspension for this Saturday’s trip to Cobh Ramblers, it might be time to go with some out-and-out wingers and get some cohesion in the side.
The first couple of half chances on Monday fell to the home side, but Mikey Place didn’t get any power behind his second minute effort; while Marc Ludden was well off target subsequently.
The visitors, who had the opening half’s best player in their ranks in the guise of Galway native, Ronan Manning, went close a couple of times themselves in the ninth minute, United surviving thanks to Cian Murphy getting a block on Adam Lennon’s shot; while Kevin Horgan pulled off a ‘worldie’ to deny Joel Coustrain from the subsequent corner.
By that stage, the visitors were starting to get on top, and they took a deserved lead in the 22nd minute when Manning’s corner from the left was met by Taner Dogan at the back post to head home as the United marking was, not for the first time this season, shambolic at a set-piece.
Tempers were starting to fray a little, with both sides having two players finding their way into the notebook of Dublin referee, Oliver Moran, before United were gifted an equaliser in the 41st minute.

Full report in this week’s Connacht Tribune

Continue Reading


Doyle bags hat-trick in Galway WFC romp



Paul Corcorcan

GALWAY WFC notched a second win in a row in the Women’s National League when they defeated Limerick 6-1 at the Markets Field on Sunday afternoon.

A McKenna Doyle hat trick and goals from Sadbh Doyle, Chloe Singleton and Aoife Thompson helped the Galway women to a resounding win. Five of the six goals for Galway were assisted by Lynsey McKey during what was a stellar performance by the experienced midfielder.

Galway WFC are back in action at Eamonn Deacy Park tomorrow (Saturday, kick off 3pm) when they welcome league leaders Peamount United.

See full match report in City Tribune Sport.

Continue Reading


Cup offers United chance to boost morale



HAVING insisted all year that Galway United’s First Division campaign has been about developing their young talents, manager Alan Murphy has admitted this Sunday’s first round FAI Cup tie against Leinster Senior League side, Collinstown at Whitehall Stadium (2pm) is about winning.

United have not recorded a competitive victory since mid-May, when they came from behind to see off Longford Town 2-1 in a First Division fixture at Eamonn Deacy Park. That win came courtesy of two Vinny Faherty goals.

Since then, they have lost eight of their twelve outings, with their four draws coming against Cabinteely, Bray Wanderers, Athlone Town, and the First Division’s bottom team, Wexford Youths, who have won just two First Division fixtures this season.

However, this weekend’s Cup game against a non-League of Ireland outfit could provide a much-needed morale boosting victory for his charges.

“It would,” acknowledged Murphy. “Even to be in the next round of the FAI Cup would be huge; it would be huge for this group of inexperienced players that I have really. I mean, every game is a brilliant chance for these guys to get another little bit of experience, and to experience a different challenge, and this weekend will provide exactly that.

“I have said, week in, week out, this is a development year and these players need experience but this weekend is probably a little bit more about winning than it has been all season because of the fact you will be out of the competition if you don’t win,” he said.

Se full preview in City Tribune Sport.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads