Galway Bay fm newsroom – The firm behind a proposed major office block at Galway Docks has stressed
the development is plan-led and will act as a catalyst for future growth in the regeneration area.
The comments were made by Bonham Dock Limited on the final day of the oral hearing concerning the development which would create a 26 thousand square metre office complex and public square in the heart of the city.
An Taisce has argued the development is premature pending a Local Area Plan for the Docks area.
In its closing submission, the group stated the project would involve a stand-alone scheme and wouldn’t create a community without the required residential content.
It stated an LAP would ensure the required democratic oversight, would deliver quality outcomes for all and would ensure sequential development.
In his closing remarks, appellant Brendan Mulligan argued there must be a statutory Local Area Plan for the inner harbour, Ceannt Station and Eyre Square east regeneration lands.
This, he argued, would avoid it being developed in a piecemeal and incoherent fashion to ensure a sustainable future for Galway.
Steven Little on behalf of Bonham Docks Ltd. told today’s hearing the development is plan-led and has been assessed in the context of Galway City Development Plan adding there is no obligation on the planning authority to prepare an LAP.
He said the firm has already received expressions of interest and if approved, it’s hoped development would commence as soon as is practicable.
Peter Staunton of Galway City Council delivered the closing remarks for the local authority describing the project as a high quality development for the city which can contribute to the objectives of the City Development Plan for regeneration of the lands in question.
Earlier in the week, the applicant argued the project would result in the regeneration of a derelict, brownfield site which hasn’t been used in years.
The firm also highlighted its separate application for a major student accommodation development.
Concerns have been raised by a number of parties which include a call for a local area plan for the area, a lack of residential content, the scale, height, design and layout.
An Bord Pleanála Inspector Brid Maxwell closed the hearing today after all closing remarks were made by appellants, observers, planning authority officials and the applicant.
A decision is expected to be reached during the summer period.
1491 new cases of COVID-19 nationally
Galway Bay fm newsroom – As of midnight, Wednesday 4 August, the National Public Health Emergency team is reporting 1,491* confirmed cases of COVID-19.
As of 8am today, 193 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 28 are in ICU.
Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said: “Vaccination offers a real way out of this pandemic. The positive news is that take-up in Ireland is extremely high, which shows people understand the benefits for themselves and for their communities of getting vaccinated. Those with at least a first dose in the over 40s is over 90%, in the over 30s it is 84%, in the 18 to 29 year age group it is over 73%, and in the 16-17 year age group, it is over 46%. These figures continue to increase, and each person who has come forward should be commended.
“It’s understandable that after the period of time that COVID-19 has been with us, that some people become tired of it. But the virus does not become tired. It doesn’t care if we are fed up, it only sees the opportunity to spread from person to person when we let our guard down.
“Risk assess your plans this weekend. Remember that if you have any cold or flu like symptoms at all, you should err on the side of caution and stay at home – do not meet up with others, and do not go to work. If you are an employer, remind your employees to continue working from home where possible for now, and not to attend work with any COVID-19 symptoms. Vaccines work, but they must also be supported by us all choosing to act as safely as possible.”
Covid-19 walk-in vaccination clinics to open in Clifden and city this weekend
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Covid-19 walk-in vaccination centres will once again open in Clifden and the city this weekend. (7/8)
The centres are open on Saturday to those aged 16 and over who have not yet received a first dose vaccine.
The Clifden centre is based at Clifden Community School, and will be in operation from 10am to 2pm.
Meanwhile, Ballybrit Vaccination Centre will be open for walk-in appointments on Saturday from 10am to 4pm.
The Saolta Hospital Group says last weekend proved a tremendous success for both centres, with over 800 people receiving first dose vaccinations.
Coming up on FYI Galway@5
- The Health Minister is encouraging parents and young people to seek information from reliable sources as registration for COVID vaccines for 12 to 15 year olds will open next Thursday
- Covid-19 walk-in vaccination centres will once again open in Clifden and the city this weekend
- Partners will be able to attend 12 week maternity scans and C-sections under new HSE guidance to be issued to hospitals tomorrow