A youth who smashed a glass across another youth’s head while out on bail awaiting trial for setting fire to a €400,000 retail and residential complex in Ballybane, has been jailed for four and a half years with two years suspended.
Judge Rory McCabe had warned Ross McDonagh (19), of 127 Ard Alainn, Ballybane, that he would be going away to prison for at least five years if he did not work with the relevant services to rehabilitate himself, when he first appeared before Galway Circuit Court last November.
He pleaded guilty then to damaging by fire the Ballybane Neighbourhood Village Complex on November 17, 2012.
The sentence hearing was told McDonagh was with a group of other youths when he went around the back of the Complex and set fire to a plastic chair in a storage area.
He left the area shortly afterwards and the fire spread to the adjacent building which housed a Gala supermarket, five other retail units and ten upstairs apartments.
Detective John Lavery said it was “the luck of God” that no one was badly injured or even killed in the fire. The alarms had gone off and people were able to evacuate in time, he said.
Det. Lavery said the fire spread quickly and caused structural as well as smoke damage to the entire building with the total insurance bill for the damage and loss of earnings coming to €419,333.
McDonagh, admitted to Gardai that he had gone into a refrigerated unit and set fire to a chair there.
The court was told McDonagh, who was 17 years old and living with his mother at the time, had 16 previous convictions, had dropped out of school at 14, was hanging around with the wrong crowd and was drinking too much.
Defence barrister, Brendan Browne conceded McDonagh was out of control.
Prosecuting barrister, Conor Fahy said McDonagh’s bail was revoked last July and he was taken into custody after he breached some of the bail terms while awaiting trial for the arson charge. The trial date in November was vacated when McDonagh pleaded, he said.
Sentence was adjourned to December 12, but on that date the court was told McDonagh was due to be sent forward to the Circuit Court again in January, this time charged with assault.
Judge McCabe agreed to adjourn all of the charges – which McDonagh pleaded guilty to – for sentence to last Friday.
Garda Neil Lydon gave evidence then that McDonagh assaulted two youngsters at 12.40a.m. on June 21 last – while he was out on bail on the arson charge.
He said McDonagh was drinking with a group of boys and girls outside a pub in Eyre Street. He became aggressive when a group of other young men said “hello girls” as they passed by.
He followed the other group up the street, threatening to assault one of them.
The group kept walking to avoid any trouble but McDonagh kept following them and smashed a pint glass over one young man’s head.
The victim had to go to A&E where the deep wound was glued.
Reading reports handed into court, Judge McCabe said every chance had been given to McDonagh to change his life around but he had not availed of any of them and remained at a high risk of reoffending.
The Judge imposed a three-year sentence for the arson and a consecutive eighteen months for the assault. He suspended the final two years of the four-and-a-half year sentence .
Supply chain challenges in retail
SPONSORED CONTENT – EZ LIVING FURNITURE
There has been a huge demand for consumer products in 2020 and 2021. Covid-19 has resulted in people spending more time at home than ever before. Lockdown especially saw all non-essential workers previously confined to their homes. Investing in goods such as clothing, electronics and furniture was one of the few ways that people could spend their discretionary income from the comfort of their own homes. However, this major spike in consumer purchasing is only one of many challenges that the retail industry is currently facing.
Every retailer and consumer across the globe is being affected by rising costs and frustrating delivery delays and this, unfortunately, includes EZ Living Furniture. As Ireland’s most loved and well-known furniture retailer, we wanted to help our customers understand the issues the entire retail industry is currently facing and will continue to face for some time by outlining the order fulfilment process to you.
Supply Chain explained
Many suppliers (including EZ Living Furniture) source their products from overseas. When Covid-19 first struck in the Far East in March 2020, illness and a lessened workforce lead to a dramatic decrease in production. When those countries entered lockdown, supply stopped coming from the Far East entirely.
When these countries began to recover and started to exit lockdown, Europe, unfortunately, went into lockdown. Because we were unable to sell stock to the same capacity, we stopped ordering from these countries.
Customers began ordering products again, but only online as all of the physical stores in Europe were closed. It took us, and many other European businesses a number of weeks to come to terms with the new working from home arrangements and the redirection of resources towards the increase in online sales that occurred subsequently.
Product manufacturers and raw material manufacturers in Europe were still closed due to the pandemic. This meant materials and products were not being produced in Europe at all.
This caused major issues with supply and production. For instance, foam is one of many materials used to make mattresses, dining chairs, and sofas. When this is in short supply, so too is the furniture that uses foam.
Hospitals around the globe began ordering thousands of containers of PPE. With no warehouses to store these essential healthcare items, they remained in the containers at ports. This lead to congestions at ports and a shortage of shipping containers worldwide.
Shipping ports closed due to the outbreak of Covid-19 in ports.
The Suez Canal was blocked by a container vessel for six days. This put further strain on supply chains that were already burdened by the coronavirus pandemic.
We are still continuing to suffer from the lack of containers. This is causing a rise in transportation and raw material costs. Deliveries to customers are also now taking longer than usual.
What are we doing to resolve this?
Stores like us are working even harder to ensure that customers receive the same products in the same time frame and at the same price-point that was in place before the pandemic. Any solution to this supply chain problem is not perfect. Prioritising faster delivery will inevitably lead to higher costs while focusing on lowering product prices will inevitably delay delivery times.
Alternatives and long-term solutions are being explored such as supply chains in eastern Europe. However, this is a time-consuming process primarily due to quality control and logistics.
What you need to know
Already this year, we have had to increase our stock levels to try to compensate for any future delivery delays. Until now, we have been absorbing the increases in transportation costs and raw materials in order to continue to offer our customers such a wide range of furnishings.
Unfortunately, due to the prolonged nature of the pandemic, stock is going to be limited, especially during certain holiday periods. Prices may also have to be increased again in the future with smaller companies likely to be affected to an even greater degree. We want to be completely transparent with our customers and make you all aware that our promotions listed below may be the last chance for you all to purchase EZ Living Furniture items at such low prices.
So, don’t wait to buy that EZ Living Furniture Item you have been eyeing and prioritise our in-stock items. The products available in all retail stores now could sell out and take a long time to return to stock. Shipping delay issues could also mean you are waiting months to receive your items.
Although we are uncertain as to how long these global supply-chain issues will last, we aim to keep you updated at all times. We appreciate your patience during these unprecedented times.
For any queries regarding your order, please contact our Customer Service team by phone, email or live chat:
Monday – Friday 9:30am – 5:00pm
Phone: 0818 222 272
Customer Service Email: email@example.com
Website Enquiries Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
SPONSORED CONTENT – EZ LIVING FURNITURE
A Moycullen win would add badly needed spice to football’s big day
Inside Track with John McIntyre
BEFORE a ball was kicked in this year’s Galway senior championship, the smart money would have been on champions Corofin, Tuam Stars, Salthill/Knocknacarra and Mountbellew/Moylough making it to the semi-finals if they managed to keep out of each other’s way on the road to the penultimate stage off the title race.
Unfortunately, for a Salthill team which, in any event, didn’t scale their expected heights this year, they came up against the champions in the quarter-finals where the Seasiders’ challenge was dismissed in convincing fashion. It was business as usual for Corofin who remain odds on to claim a record-breaking eighth consecutive title.
With Tuam Stars edging out Bearna after extra-time, a Paul Kelly goal helping Moycullen get the better of St James’, and Mountbellew/Moylough powering home against 14-man Killannin, it means that three of last year’s semi-finalists are back seeking a place in the Galway decider this weekend. Mountbellew/Moylough are the odd ones out having fallen to Corofin in the 2019 quarter-finals.
Val Daly’s troops will need the performance of the lives to overturn club’s football’s dominant power, especially as they continue to field without county player John Daly – a son of their manager. Of course, they are not without a chance and if the likes of Michael Daly, Matthew Barrett, Eoin Finnerty, Eoin Ryan and Barry McHugh hit the ground running, they could give Corofin a searching time.
For more, read this week’s Connacht Tribune.
Get the Connacht Tribune Live app
The Connacht Tribune Live app is the home of everything that is happening in Galway City and county. It’s completely FREE and features all the latest news, sport and information on what’s on in your area. Click HERE to download it for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or HERE to get the Android Version from Google Play.
Greens see red on gold rush
Opposition is intensifying to the prospect of a licence being awarded to Canadian gold prospectors planning to explore the heart of Connemara.
Environmental campaigners have warned of the dangers of awarding a prospecting licence to Toronto-based MOAG to mine for gold and silver in land around Roundstone, Ballyconneely and Ballynahinch.
They claim the exploration could devastate water supplies, tourism, wildlife – and also led to tensions in the local community.
Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment, Richard Bruton has indicated he intends to grant a prospecting licence to the company to explore for the valuable minerals in townlands in Ballynahinch Barony.
The licence allows the holder to explore for mineral deposits, and does not authorise mining of any materials that are found – that requires further licensing.
And Minister Bruton’s Department insists that the activities permitted under this licence are “non-invasive” and “of minimal environmental impact”.
However, campaigners have warned of the dangers mining can have on Connemara, and have urged the public to object before July 6.
See full story in this week’s Connacht Tribune.