Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

News

Final bypass route is unveiled by designers

Dara Bradley

Published

on

The full-route of the proposed new city bypass has now been selected and is available for inspection.

The design route for the section of the planned new road through Ballindooley, Castlegar and Ballybrit was unveiled last week.

It will include east-facing slip-roads onto the N17 junction; and now avoids a ‘mass path’, which locals say was of cultural and historical significance, and was traversed in the original route.

The chosen design route for the section from the Ballymoneen Road in Knocknacarra to the N59 was also unveiled over the weekend.

The design team has ‘tweaked’ the original route and made some changes following consultations with landowners and submissions from the public.

The N59 link road between Letteragh Road and Rahoon Road will be moved east to be parallel to Bóthar Diarmuida.

The new design allows for the existing entrance to Bun a’ Chnoic and Rosán Glas housing estates will be altered to exit onto the N59 link road, with traffic lights. This N59 link road will join the Rahoon Road at the existing entrance to Bun a Chnoic and Rosán Glas estates at a traffic light junction.

The Gort na Bró Road will be realigned to join the Rahoon Road at the proposed meeting point of the N59 link road with Rahoon Road. The existing road to the Rahoon Road will be decommissioned.

The road connecting the Galway Retail Park roundabout to Gort na Bró roundabout will be realigned to connect directly east onto Gort na Bró Road at traffic lights and the existing road will be decommissioned, reducing the Gort na Bró roundabout to four arms.

Galway County Council, lead agent in the N6 Galway City Transport Project, also last Friday released the route of the proposed road from the R336 Coast Road to the N59. Earlier in November, the route design option between Forthaí Maola in Barna to Cappagh was released. The detailed maps of the design routes are available from the N6 project office and on its website.

Michael Timmins, senior engineer with the Council, said the design team is on course to publish the final route by the second quarter of 2016, when it will be ready to forward to An Bórd Pleanála.

Until it is published, changes can be made along the route, however, Mr Timmins said: “Changes are more and more minimal as the design is progressed.”

The design team is currently carrying out drilling and testing of land along the route and this might throw up something, such as hard rock or cavities, which might necessitate a change in the route.

Land and property owners affected by the proposed route are continuing to engage with the design team and will do right up until the route is published, added Mr Timmins.

CITY TRIBUNE

Army removes explosive device in Knocknacarra

Avatar

Published

on

An army Bomb Disposal Team was called to Knocknacarra last night to deal with a ‘viable’ explosive device.

Following a request from Gardai, the unit was tasked with investigating a suspicious device in a laneway off Cappagh Road at around 10pm.

The area was cordoned off and following an examination, the device was deemed viable and made safe.

It was removed from the scene shortly after 10.30pm and was taken to a Defence Forces location where it will undergo further examination.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Hospital worker failed to self isolate after trip to red-list country

Francis Farragher

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – Management at University Hospital Galway have been asked to investigate ‘as a matter of urgency’ an allegation that a security employee at the hospital returned to work within the 14-day restriction period after coming back from a ‘red-list’ country.

The person has already worked at least two shifts at the hospital – including looking after an elderly patient – despite the fact that the restriction period would not have expired until this Sunday, September 20.

The Galway City Tribune can reveal that in a letter from SIPTU official to a senior UHG manager, it is alleged there was breach of protocol over recent days by an employee of an outsourced security company.

According to the letter to Services Manager Geoff Ginnety, while the worker was not covered under HSE employee rules, “they still must comply with the Government issued protocols”.

The letter from SIPTU states that the worker in question had told his colleagues that he was in a red-listed country and that ‘he did not have to restrict his movements’ for 14 days and could return to work.

“I request that you [Services Manager at UHG] address these concerns as a matter of urgency and provide clear guidance on how to deal with the issue,” the SIPTU letter states.

According to information accessed by the Galway City Tribune, the employee in question returned from a red-listed country on September 6 last and underwent a test for Covid-19 five days later on September 11.

Shortly after that, according to his employers, the results of his Covid tests came back as negative. The Galway City Tribune understands that he returned to his night-shift work on Tuesday night, September 15, and also worked the Wednesday night shift of September 16.

This newspaper has also been informed by reliable sources that on his first night back on duty the employee was left in charge of an elderly patient, while on his second night back at work, he was dutied to the Emergency Department.

When contacted by the Galway City Tribune, a spokesperson for the HSE said that they could not comment on issues relating to individual staff.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the full details, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

CITY TRIBUNE

Leisureland sinks with €20,000 per week losses

Dara Bradley

Published

on

From this week’s Galway City Tribune – The plug is being pulled on Leisureland – leaving hundreds of swimmers, mostly children, and trainee lifeguards, high and dry.

Galway Salthill Fáilte CLG, the company that operates the publicly-owned facility, has confirmed it plans to shut down its swimming pool and gym, leaving members of six aquatic clubs, hundreds of schoolchildren, and the general public, without an amenity for the foreseeable future.

Swimming clubs fear they will lose a whole generation of young swimmers in Galway if the pool closes. And they have warned that it could end up costing €1 million to repair and reopen the pool after a prolonged closure.

Leisureland blamed the impact of coronavirus for its financial woes, with losses running at an average of €20,000 per week.

The company said that by August it had already spent its annual €300,000 subsidy subvention from Galway City Council, and the local authority has indicated it is not in a position to increase the subsidy further in 2020.

The planned closure – which could result in the furloughing of over 20 staff from next month – has shocked the local aquatic community.

A lengthy hiatus with Leisureland closed will mean Galway will lose a ‘whole generation’ of swimmers, according to Eamon Caulfield, President of Galway Swimming Club and member and former chairperson of Corrib Water Polo Club.

“We’re particularly upset and aggrieved that this is going ahead, it’s shocking. They should be looking to reverse this decision,” he said this week.

The majority of the five aquatic clubs that use the facility (Galway SC, Shark SC, Laser SC and Tribes and Corrib water polo clubs) are made up of children aged 10-18, including some international athletes. Hundreds of children from Galway schools also learn to swim there.

A water safety group has been using the pool every Sunday morning since it opened in 1973, he said.

“Historically it is where Galway gets its lifeguards from. How can you not have swim lessons in a public pool? How can you not have water safety taught in a pool in Galway?

“It beggars belief, we’re on the sea. The water safety people, where are they going to go, how are we going to get lifeguards for beaches? How are we going to get teachers for teaching swimming?” asked Mr Caulfield.

The clubs have roughly 150 members each and generate €150,000 revenue annually for Leisureland.
This is a shortened preview version of this article. To read the full version, see this week’s Galway City Tribune. You can buy a digital edition HERE.

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Advertisement

Weather

Weather Icon
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending