Galway Bay fm newsroom – A number of Galway County Councillors have hit out at Fáilte Ireland for not doing enough to promote the south and east of the county.
At this week’s meeting, Councillor Jimmy McClearn said the tourism body has placed more of a focus on promoting the city and Connemara, rather than any other part of the county.
Councillors at this week’s meeting were told that 1.8 million euro has been allocated by Fáilte Ireland for the installation of 19 lay-by discovery points across Connemara.
Councillor Jimmy McClearn said the east and south of the county are treated as ‘the poor relatives,’ and are being left behind as a result of the focus on the Wild Atlantic Way.
Councillor Joe Byrne proposed that the council make a representation to Fáilte Ireland to provide similar funding for tourism infrastructure in other areas.
He says there’s a need to tap into the potential for tourism in towns like Kinvara and Portumna.
The council has agreed to contact Fáilte Ireland with a view to looking at other possible tourist hotspots in the county.
Tuam Councillor hits out at those behind Tuam violence
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A Tuam County Councillor has hit out at those involved in yesterday’s violent incident in Tuam in which seven people were injured at a cemetery in the town.
Armed officers attended the scene at the cemetery on the Athenry road at 4pm, after violence broke out.
A 16-year-old boy was arrested as he tried to flee in possession of a knife.
Five men and two women were taken to University Hospital Galway, with non life-threatening injuries.
Two funerals took place yesterday in the town and local Councillor Donagh Killilea has stated that the violence which broke out that afternoon was not connected to the bereaved families.
It’s believed the incident is related to an ongoing local feud in the town.
Speaking to Keith Finnegan on Galway Talks, Local Councillor Donagh Killilea says he and others are now working to broker a peace deal with those involved as the people of Tuam have had enough of the violence….
Over 5,600 Covid 19 tests completed in Galway over last week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Over 5,600 Covid 19 tests were carried out at Galway’s two testing bases in the last week.
The Galway Airport site completed 4,186 tests in the period.
In the city, the Forster Street site carried out an additional 1,442 tests.
Latest figures show 721 Covid 19 cases were recorded in Galway over the last 14 days.
1,432 new cases of COVID-19 nationally; 30 deaths in the past week
Galway Bay fm newsroom – The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 1,432* confirmed cases of COVID-19.
As of 8am today, 272 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 63 are in ICU.
There has been a total of 5,209 deaths related to COVID-19 notified in Ireland. This includes 30 deaths newly notified in the past week (since last Wednesday).
Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health said:
“We have been closely monitoring the incidence of COVID-19 and we are reassured that that the reopening of schools has not led to an increase in transmission of COVID-19 amongst school-going children or more widely across the population. This is good news for students, parents and all those involved in the education of our children. As always, we will keep disease transmission in the population under review, but given the importance of education for our children we feel that now is the right time to evolve our approach to the public health management of COVID-19 in educational settings.
“From Monday 27 September, we will change how we manage COVID-19 in our schools. Contact tracing of close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education and testing of asymptomatic close contacts in childcare facilities and primary education will no longer be necessary.
“Children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as close contacts in childcare, educational settings, special education settings or other non-household settings and who are asymptomatic will no longer be required to routinely restrict movements.
“Given the substantially higher risk of transmission in households as compared to any other setting, children aged 12 yrs or under, who are identified as household close contacts, will still be required to restrict movements and be tested, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms.
“Public health advice remains that any person, including children aged 12 yrs or under who displays symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should rapidly self-isolate and not attend school or to socialise until 48 hours after they are symptom free.”