Classifieds Advertise Archive Subscriptions Family Announcements Photos Digital Editions/Apps
Connect with us

Galway Bay FM News Archives

‘Eyesore’ diving tower is set to get a major facelift

Published

on

Date Published: 03-May-2011

A TOTAL revamp of the diving tower at Blackrock in Salthill is to be undertaken by Galway City Council amid claims that the 60-years-old structure has become an ‘eyesore’ following two of the harshest winters in memory.

But the Council have ruled out calls for the tower to be repainted ahead of the peak tourist season as a spokesman claimed this would only be “papering over the cracks” of the concrete structure.

The spokesman said that “carbonisation” had damaged the concrete over successive severe winters and short-term measures to paint it would have no long-term benefits.

The tower is seen as one of the city’s most iconic landmarks, but regular users of the facility have called for it to be given a facelift as it looks completely run down at low tide.

An aerial view of Blackrock featured in a recent Terry Wogan documentary about Ireland for the BBC and local viewers were appalled that the shots taken from a helicopter in the bay showed that the tower was in dire need of a revamp.

The Council spokesman said that a full revamp of the tower had been on the cards for some time and an upgrade was part of a €100,000 allocation for repairs to be carried out late last year.

The bathing area was closed off by the local authority in the first few weeks of the year and significant improvement works were carried out to the dressing-rooms. But, due to the particularly harsh weather in January, the upgrade to the tower itself was not included in the project.

It is understood that parts of the tower need to be stripped down and treated after six decades of wear and tear, and painting it would only gloss over the real problem of damage to the concrete caused by the elements.

“It’s simply down to 60 years of wear and tear and the next job we intend to work on is the tower itself. We have to go to procurement on it. We also intend to carry outwork on the existing structure at Silver Strand,” said the spokesman.

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Galway ‘Park and Ride’ could become permanent

Published

on

Date Published: 07-May-2013

A park ‘n’ ride scheme from Carnmore into Galway city could become a permanent service if there is public demand.

That’s according to the Chief Executive of Galway Chamber of Commerce, Michael Coyle.

The pilot scheme will begin at 7.20 next Monday morning, May 13th.

Motorists will be able to park cars at the airport carpark in Carnmore and avail of a bus transfer to Forster Street in the city.

Buses will depart every 20 minutes at peak times and every 30 minutes at offpeak times throughout the day, at a cost of 2 euro per journey.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Tuam awaits UK hay import as overnight rainfall adds to fodder crisis

Published

on

Date Published: 09-May-2013

Tuam is now awaiting a third import of hay from the UK as overnight rainfall has increased pressure on farmers struggling to source fodder.

A total of ten loads are expected at Connacht Gold stores throughout the West with a load expected at the Airglooney outlet this evening or tomorrow.

Farmers throughout the county have been struggling to cope with the animal feed shortage and a below than normal grass growth due to unseasonal weather conditions.

Overnight rainfall in the Galway area has also added to the problem making ground conditions in many areas are quite poor.

Joe Waldron, Agricultual Advisor with Connacht Gold says farmers in short supply can contact the Airglooney outlet on 093 – 24101.

Continue Reading

Galway Bay FM News Archives

Transport Minister urges end to Bus Eireann strike action

Published

on

Date Published: 12-May-2013

The Transport Minister is urging drivers at Bus Éireann to engage in talks with management, in an effort to bring their strike action to an end.

There were no Bus Éireann services operating out of Galway today as a result of nationwide strike action by staff affiliated with the national bus and rail union.

Up to 20 Bus Éireann drivers are continuing to picket outside the bus depot at the docks in the city this evening.

Drivers from other unions have decided not to cross the picket line and go into work today – causing the disruption to be even worse.

Bus drivers are protesting against five million euro worth of cuts to their overtime and premium pay – cuts which Bus Eireann says are vital to ensure the future viability of the company.

The majority of services nationwide are disrupted, and the union say strike action will continue until management are willing to go back into negotiations.

However, it’s not expected to affect school services next week.

Galway bay fm news understands that around 70 percent, or over 100 Galway bus Eireann drivers are affiliated with the NBRU.

 

Continue Reading

Local Ads

Local Ads

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement

Trending