An expert witness has told the inquest into the death of Savita Halappanavar that the real problem was the inability to terminate the pregnancy at an earlier stage.
Dr. Peter Boylan, a former Master at the National Maternity Hospital was giving his summary expert report before Coroner Dr. Ciaran MacLoughlin.
After reading his expert report, Dr. Boylan opened his summary by telling the inquest that had Ms. Halappanavar had a termination on the Monday of Tuesday of her time in hospital, it is highly likely she would not have died.
However he notes it was NOT a practicable position at that time because of the law.
He noted that she suffered an overwhelming infection and died despite the best efforts of the medical team.
He said there were a number of deficiencies in her care such as a white cell count not noted and the test therefore not repeated, a conflict of witness evidence on the 23rd, and also referenced that all vital signs were not checked between 9pm on Tuesday October 23rd and 6.30am the following morning.
He also said that the notes taken on the morning of October 24th were of poor quality and retrospective and that there was a lack of statement from the nurse caring for Ms. Halappanavar on that morning.
The Coroner told the jury that the nurse in question is the only witness that hasn’t given a statement and won’t be giving one and has certification.
Dr.Boylan also summarised that there was a delay in appropriate treatment, however nevertheless, even if the appropriate treatment had been given earlier on the morning of October 24th, that the outcome would not have been any different.
He concluded by saying the real problem was the inability to terminate the pregnancy at an earlier stage prior to Ms. Halappanavar developing a real and substantial risk to her life and added that ‘effectively it was too late to save her life’.
After questioning of Dr. Boylan concludes, the inquest will hear from Dr. Frans Colesky who did the post mortem on the placenta, and Dr. Michael Tan Chien Sheng who did the post-mortem on the foetus.
Tomorrow the inquest will hear from Professor Grace Callegy who did the full post mortem on Ms. Halappanavar. It’s hoped a verdict will be reached by Friday.
Galway School becomes the first city-centre ‘School Streets’ project in Ireland
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Scoil Iognaid is settling in to its ‘school street’ pilot programme, and its history making role as the first City-Centre ‘School Streets’ Project in Ireland
A ‘School Street’ is a road outside a school with a temporary restriction on traffic at drop off and pick up times creating a safer, calmer space for children, parents and residents to walk, scoot or cycle.
As part of the pilot project, Palmyra Row, Palmyra Avenue and Raleigh Row will be pedestrianised during the school pick up and drop off times
Residents will still have access to their homes during these times, as will cyclists or ‘blue badge’ holders accessing the school.
The pilot was launched this week by Mayor of Galway Mike Cubbard, and Junior Transport Minister and Galway West TD Hildegarde Naughton
It’s funded by the National Transport Authority, and delivered with the support of the Green-Schools Travel programme, An Garda Siochána, and the wider school community.
16,300 Galway PUP recipients get arrears payment
Galway Bay fm newsroom – Approximately 16,300 Galway PUP recipients are today benefitting from an arrears payment
Locally based Senator Sean Kyne says the Pandemic Unemployment Payment has been a lifeline to individuals and families in Galway who have been worst affected by the economic impact of Covid-19.
He added that the payment of over €7.3 million in arrears to over 16,300 people is an immense boost to households and families ahead of Christmas.
Nationally, 129 million euro has been paid today to people who were due arrears under the Pandemic Unemployment Payment.
286,000 people have received money they mightn’t have been expecting.
Meanwhile, the number of people in Galway with active Pandemic Unemployment Payment claims this week is 19,500, a slight decrease on last week and a substantial drop from 32,300 at the start of May.
Homeless man who sexually assaulted his wife after forcing her into a wooded area in Galway jailed for three and a half years
Galway Bay fm newsroom – A homeless man who sexually assaulted his wife after forcing her into a wooded area in Galway has been jailed for three and a half years.
The man, who can’t be named to protect her identity, was also accused of raping her but the jury wasn’t able to reach agreement on that charge.
At the time of the attack, the couple were sleeping rough in Galway city.
The man had been drinking heavily on the night in question so his wife decided to sleep outside a church to get away from him.
She told the jury he woke her just before 5.30am and told her to come with him. On their way to a wooded area, CCTV footage showed her falling against a wall after he headbutted her in the shoulder.
She said he also threatened to “cut her into pieces and throw her in the ocean”
He fell asleep after sexually assaulting her, which gave her the opportunity to escape.
In her victim impact statement, the court heard she has since moved on with her life and is now working and “very happy”
She said she made the right choice to come forward and thanked gardaí for their help.